Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Randomness all the way!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by deepfreez, Jul 6, 2008.

1. deepfreez

deepfreez IncGamers Member

Randomness all the way!

Kind of an excessive thread some might think but i'd still like to express my wishes for D3 on this level.

In previous Blizzard games, and numerous other RPGs, i have always been hating to hit that end game wall. It's something you do not see coming until it's there. For a while there's this period to acclimate to this new feeling of 'Wow, i've reached the end of the game.' After a while though the all known idleing starts to kick in, and before you know it even finding godly items becomes somewhat dull.

Now, i am surprised none of the games have explored the route D3 is heading now with randomly generated content. Maybe it wasn't the time yet, or maybe the technology wasn't there yet. However, i must say i am simply dying to see what Blizzard will come up with. I can see only one good thing come out of randomness: infinite replayability as they stated. So i hope they will really push out as much as they can on this. More randomness is good, infinite randomness is better (well ofcourse infinite would be impossible, but hey...)

I'm really happy to see they have chosen this route, and i hope they will use it to their advantage in competing with other games in the same genre (although not many could compete anyway :p).

2. Brother Laz

Brother Laz IncGamers Member

Re: Randomness all the way!

Actually, Hellgate London did 'explore this randomness' and the result was a lot of complaining that all they did was string environment blocks together.

In true 3D, you can't just make a bunch of level blocks; you need to randomise scenery elements, like windows and building architecture. Not going to happen any time soon, and I fear it may be too expensive for smaller companies.

3. Kaeros

Kaeros IncGamers Member

I think DIII will pull off the randomly-generated areas far better than Hellgate did; Blizzard has already proven they're great at it with DII.

As far as infinite replayability though, I wouldn't expect things to be randomized SO much that you're going to feel like you're playing a new game every time you load the game. I reckon that you'll begin to recognize the patterns and doodads in levels pretty quickly. Same with randomized quests .. after a few weeks, I'm sure you'll of seen most of the variations of places, characters, objectives, and rewards and that it'll become as run-of-the-mill as anything else.

I'm not saying it won't be fun or refreshing (Because I think everything about this game will be a-w-e-s-o-m-e) but don't get your hopes up that the random-engine will be more advanced than it will be. For the reasons I just mentioned, I don't think it'll eliminate the "end-game wall" you're talking about.

Honestly, I'm actually a little concerned that the random quests will be a little too generic.

4. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

My impression of random quests is that they would more likely be a pool of predesigned quests that would randomly appear in different places. It wouldn't be the idea of random objectives coupled with random locations and random rewards. They would just be world quest events that only occurred some of the time.

I may have the wrong impression, of course.

5. Kaeros

Kaeros IncGamers Member

That makes more sense than my understanding of it. I'd prefer that, definitely.