Random Tournament 2008!

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Random Tournament 2008!

Thanks, rick, for the roll. Some of it's good, some mediocre. I could try to play it out as-is, but I think I want to take a gamble. And I think it's a big one...

I'd like to reroll the spiked shield.

...Kidding. I'm gonna reroll the helmet and... *exhales nervously*... Guided Arrow. It could be super useful, and Decoy seems somewhat redundant, but I want to be an offensive powerhouse. I'm crossing my fingers... be good to me! No Immoliation Arrow!!!

rickcarson

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks, rick, for the roll. Some of it's good, some mediocre. I could try to play it out as-is, but I think I want to take a gamble. And I think it's a big one...

I'd like to reroll the spiked shield.

...Kidding. I'm gonna reroll the helmet and... *exhales nervously*... Guided Arrow. It could be super useful, and Decoy seems somewhat redundant, but I want to be an offensive powerhouse. I'm crossing my fingers... be good to me! No Immoliation Arrow!!!
Yeah I thought the shield was a bit pointless, but hey.

Rerolled skill to Multiple Shot, which if memory serves correctly you already have... next cab off the ranks is Freezing Arrow

Helmet rerolled to Full Helm

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Tell you what, why don't i give this one a try as well? I'll try my most despised class again, the paladin. Let's see what kind of a marvel I get to play with this time around... At least now I can blame the poor rolls for my demise! (not! :p)

2 combat - 2 offensive aura - 1 defensive aura.
Weapon of choice? a sword please.

Last edited:

rickcarson

Diabloii.Net Member

Tell you what, why don't i give this one a try as well? I'll try my most despised class again, the paladin. Let's see what kind of a marvel I get to play with this time around... At least now I can blame the poor rolls for my demise! (not! :p)

2 combat - 2 offensive aura - 1 defensive aura.
Weapon of choice? a sword please.
Merlin The Wizzard - Paladin, 3 combat, 1 offensive aura, 1 defensive aura
Smite (x3), Holy Bolt, Sacrifice, Thorns, Resist Fire
War Sword, Studded Leather, Heavy Boots, Chain Gloves, Heavy Belt, Heraldric Shield or Gothic Shield, Full Helm

NB: I wasn't sure if we can do that with the swords, so I rolled against the whole range 1H & 2H, but you got a 1H anyway.

Just in case I'm not supposed to autoreroll duped skills it was Smite, Smite, Holy Bolt (Smite and Sacrifice being 4 & 5 respectively)

So, I guess I should reread the fine print, I think half of the exceptions in the tournie rules have to do with pallies...

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Ehm.. Thansk Rick, but I changed the skills... could you reroll those? 2 combat, 2 offensive and 1 defensive?
As far as the equipment goes, if you could reroll studded leather it would be great.

rickcarson

Diabloii.Net Member

Ehm.. Thansk Rick, but I changed the skills... could you reroll those? 2 combat, 2 offensive and 1 defensive?
As far as the equipment goes, if you could reroll studded leather it would be great.
Oh, nice save. Those skills were really bad, but you got your edit in before my post, so fair enough :D

Merlin The Wizzard - Paladin, 2 combat, 2 offensive aura, 1 defensive aura
Holy Bolt, Vengeance, Might, Thorns, Redemption
War Sword, Hard Leather Armor, Heavy Boots, Chain Gloves, Heavy Belt, Heraldric Shield or Gothic Shield, Full Helm

Huh. I was sure it would dish up smite again, I thought the universe was trying to tell you something :D

I rolled up the skills again from scratch, and the armor got a reroll. Would you like a reroll on one of the skills?

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

I was gonna say holy bolt first, but then I reconsidered... Holy Bolt might actually help with the thorns and make my merc a tank. So that makes 4 semi-useful skills and one that I wouldn't want to inflict on my worst enemy, redempshun. Really, what did they make mana and health potions for anyways?

Feel free to reroll it Rick. It can't be worse then redempshun...

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

rickcarson, you can edit your post for upto one hour. If you want to save a post, either bookmark it or try "blog this post" top right.

rickcarson

Diabloii.Net Member

I was gonna say holy bolt first, but then I reconsidered... Holy Bolt might actually help with the thorns and make my merc a tank. So that makes 4 semi-useful skills and one that I wouldn't want to inflict on my worst enemy, redempshun. Really, what did they make mana and health potions for anyways?

Feel free to reroll it Rick. It can't be worse then redempshun...
Your reroll is Vigor. random.orgs second choice was also Vigor.

Vang

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for all the rolling Rickcarson.

Yes to the question about a skill being rerolled, its kept just like an equipment choice.

I'll take a reroll of the passive. Do the passive first to see if I get a new weapon type, then reroll the weapon. Otherwise reroll the quilted armor.

*I searched and couldn't find an answer to the barbarian mastery/weapon choice. Looks like I'll leave it up to the player to decide, if they choose a weapon type, they can only get rolled that weapon type and the other 4 passive choices, otherwise they can leave it entirely open.

rickcarson

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for all the rolling Rickcarson.
Well, I figured that if one person did a whole bunch of it, then it eliminates some potential 'politics', especially since everyone hates me equally! ;-)

I don't think the dice have served up a real turkey yet (I remember there were some real clangers last time round), but I continue to be surprised by the reroll choices, so feel free to disagree about the degree of turkitude.

Yes to the question about a skill being rerolled, its kept just like an equipment choice.

I'll take a reroll of the passive. Do the passive first to see if I get a new weapon type, then reroll the weapon. Otherwise reroll the quilted armor.

*I searched and couldn't find an answer to the barbarian mastery/weapon choice. Looks like I'll leave it up to the player to decide, if they choose a weapon type, they can only get rolled that weapon type and the other 4 passive choices, otherwise they can leave it entirely open.
It occurred to me (while pondering Merlin's sword) that the rules might be a bit simpler if we allow the player to specify 1H or 2H when rolling swords, axes and maces. That would save a lot of the 'I have Holy Shield (or Smite) but must use a 2H weapon' problems, as well as all of the barb 1H/2H problems.*
Just something to consider if you want to simplify the rules a bit.

*Except double throw, which if I'm interpreting things properly is pretty much a guaranteed reroll, unless someone specified Throwing Weapons, but then if you didn't get Double Throw _and_ Throwing Mastery, you'd have immense suckitude right there. I guess you could specify Javelins to hedge your bets but its long odds and a low payoff.

Rerolling the Combat Mastery gives Natural Resistance, and rerolling the armour gives Chainmail.

Summary so far (apologies if I've missed an update):

Random Tournament

Vang - Barbarian 2 combat skills, 2 warcries, 1 combat mastery, maces (or mastery)
Leap Attack, Stun, War Cry, Battle Command, Natural Resistance
Leather Gloves, Greaves, Heavy Belt, Avenger Guard or Cap, Kite Shield, Great Maul, Chain Mail

Kedali - Necro 3 summon, 2 curse, wands
Raise Skeleton, Skeletal Mage, Summon Resist, Confuse, Life Tap
Light Gauntlets, Heavy Boots, Heavy Belt, Yew Wand, Kite Shield or Gargoyle Head, Crown, Field Plate

Winmar - Assassin 3 shadow, 2 martial arts, mace
Burst of Speed, Mind Blast, Shadow Master, Blades of Ice, Claws of Thunder
Heavy Gloves, Chain Boots, Heavy Belt, Crown, Small Shield, Blade Talons or Club, Splint Mail

TheReadMenace - Amazon, 3 bow & crossbow, 2 passive, bows
Cold Arrow, Multiple Shot, Freezing Arrow, Decoy, Valkyrie
Heavy Gloves, Chain Boots, Sash, Reflex Bow or Hunter's Bow, Full Helm, Spiked Shield, Plate Mail

Merlin The Wizzard - Paladin, 2 combat, 2 offensive aura, 1 defensive aura
Holy Bolt, Vengeance, Might, Thorns, Vigor
War Sword, Hard Leather Armor, Heavy Boots, Chain Gloves, Heavy Belt, Heraldric Shield or Gothic Shield, Full Helm

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

So what did you expect me to reroll then? I was hoping for one of the resist skills or the resist all one (not a bad chance that...4 out of 10) Defiance or prayer or cleansing would all have been fine as well.

rickcarson

Diabloii.Net Member

So what did you expect me to reroll then? I was hoping for one of the resist skills or the resist all one (not a bad chance that...4 out of 10) Defiance or prayer or cleansing would all have been fine as well.
I don't know. Rerolls are hard, you can almost always get something worse. When you spell it out like that it sounds very convincing. I'd thought you were aiming for Prayer for the Holy Bolt synergy and thought the odds were quite long.

Please don't take any of my comments as criticism. As I am strictly neutral I shall in future rein in any observations, editorials or opinions I might have otherwise offered.

Vang

Diabloii.Net Member

It occurred to me (while pondering Merlin's sword) that the rules might be a bit simpler if we allow the player to specify 1H or 2H when rolling swords, axes and maces. That would save a lot of the 'I have Holy Shield (or Smite) but must use a 2H weapon' problems, as well as all of the barb 1H/2H problems.*
Just something to consider if you want to simplify the rules a bit.
You know, I thought about that last year when I did it. But the problem came up, it that it wasn't random enough. Who can do it with a low damage and a shield, or do you get more damage and two-handed beat stick. I think next year I may add it in, or maybe, after this is over I'll run a more or less random tournament, I've had a different sort of random tournament in mind that is a little less restrictive, that I think would be extremely fun.

Chainmail and Natural resist? 3 of 5 skills are level 30 ouch! (not to mention Merlin, you made me have to play with the great maul and and the starter axe! :thumbup: )

and I whipped this up.

Code:
[b][U][I]ALIVE[/I][/U][/b]
Score Character      Class         Forum Name       Level  Act    WP
   1  BubbaJone    Barbarian     Vang               1      A1     Rogue Camp       
   1               Necro         Kedali             1      A1     Rogue Camp       
   1               Assassin      Winmar             1      A1     Rogue Camp       
   1               Amazon        TheReadMenace      1      A1     Rogue Camp       
   1               Paladin       Merlin The Wizzard 1      A1     Rogue Camp       
[B][I][U]DEAD/RETIRED[/U][/I][/B]

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

It's hard to be critical when you get only 5 skills randomly assigned :p

Ok, here are my thoughts on the char. I suppose I'm going to find out how effective Vengeance is on it's own without any synergies. My guesstimate is nil, but we'll see. I really hit the jackpot with the warsword, I was praying I'd get that one. Decent one handed damage, and the unique exceptional one is one of the best 1h paladin weapons around.

Given that I have Holy Bolt, My best bet is to use it to strengthen the merc from behind against bosspacks I don't want to face. Fine, especially since thorns at a high lvl will help him return some additional damage to strong killers. The reason I rerolled the armor is that I hoped for something a bit higher on the chain, with some more defensive value. But that's moot, so that makes the holy bolt/thorns combination even more desireable. (my defense will be low). Given that, it seems obvious I will have to use an A2 merc or an A5 merc (both melee and liable to be hit). I think a prayer merc will be fine, and the A2 NM holy freeze one will be excellent provided I get there.

So the plan is to raise my strength and dex as quick as possible to hit those stats for war swords, and gamble those as soon as I reach the appropriate char lvl. Meanwhile, vengeance and might together will help me dish out soem damage even with the shortsword. I'll save Holy bolt for last, I can beltfed the merc potions as well... Should I ever get so far (*snort*) and have 80 invested skill points in those 4, Vigor will soak up the rest...

EDIT : Yeah, when I saw that a great maul was rolled I gniffled a bit :p

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Ok, how do I turn auto equip off? That's going to be a royal pain until I can fill all slots...

EDIT:

Code:
Code:
ALIVE
   1  BubbaJone    Barbarian     Vang               1      A1     Rogue Camp       
   1               Necro         Kedali             1      A1     Rogue Camp       
   1               Assassin      Winmar             1      A1     Rogue Camp       
   1               Amazon        TheReadMenace      1      A1     Rogue Camp       
   1  Seoman       Paladin       Merlin The Wizzard 1      A1     Rogue Camp       
DEAD/RETIRED

Vang

Diabloii.Net Member

You can't, just do your best to unequip it as soon as you notice it.