Random Tournament 2008!

atreides

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Random Tournament 2008!

@Drewgie: Ring mail and Raise Skeleton.

I must say it's a challenging build. But in this tournament it is very hard to get a decent build. I'll be very surprised to see someone making it to Hell. Never the less, it is still fun playing, methinks.

@FatFree: Druid class. The random dictated: 2 elemental, 1 shape shifting, 2 summoning. Those go as follows: Volcano, Tornado, Feral Rage, Solar Creeper, Summon Spirit Wolf.

Equipment:
-helm
-field plate
-buckler
-light gauntlets
-heavy boots
-light belt
-wolf head

Weapon class: staves (hmmm). From this: war staff.

atreides

Diabloii.Net Member

Hm, I seem to be the only one updating lately. Anyway, Pala is now destroyer. All act V was done on players 7. Ancients and Baal's minions were surprisingly easy, not to mention the mummy pack which was disposed of in seconds. So undead do fall easy with Sanctuary lvl 19 on. I am curious how it will work in NM. Baal himself was a little bit harder, as I approached him with my MF equipment on. He spawned the clone right at the beginning and the merc was almost all the time busy with it. To his credit though, he didn't died once. I, on the other hand, had some dangerously low health levels but I managed to survive. The drop was: unique gauntlets, set gauntlets, Vidala's amulet and some blue stuff. All was sold except the amulet, which I don't think has dropped for me in all the time I have played Diablo.

I also spent my imbue on a rune scepter but got crap (no surprise here).

One curious thing: I alternate often between normal attack and smite and I noticed that smite swings faster than normal attack. Isn't it supposed to have the weapon speed? The difference is notable so it is not just an impression.

Next, the cows, but I'm eager to begin NM.

Destroyer Pala, lvl 47, Cow Level

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

thanks atreides!

can I have a reroll of Solar Creeper? I'll play the equipment as it is.

Vang

Diabloii.Net Member

Grats on making it to nightmare Atreides.

I'm personally backing off for a bit, the amazon is about useless(insert can't kill very well anymore, act5 after Shenk has provided a chore to kill) Druid actually died in act1 which I need to update that(stunlocked by 4 champion goatmen, never seen anything or had that happen to me before)

So I'm deciding with I'm just going to be done with this for the time being(got another tournament planned after this one which should be loads of fun)

atreides

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry to hear that Vang. It's true that most builds in this tournament end up being tedious. It's taking the fun out of the game and we shouldn't allow that. I would propose the following change to the rule: that one skill can be chosen AFTER the roll is made. That would still leave 4 random skills and it would be challenging enough. For the existing participants it would be left to their choice if they want to continue with their rolled char or to begin a new one. If you consider that it's not quite in the spirit of the tournament, maybe you will consider this rule for the next tourney.

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

My druid Dogwood just finished Tristram. He's level 15 and does 4-18 damage with his starting club. He has five spirit wolves and a cold rogue doing the actual killing. So far everything has been full clears on players8 except for a small part of the Underground Passage which I was too lazy to go back for. I've gambled for helms for the merc and me, but don't have gloves or armor. No good drops yet that I can use.. no MF yet either.

Dogwood, lvl 15, Dark Wood

DuesNox

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, Kravos_Dos began a couple days ago and has finally reached act 3. I spent all my point up untill 20 on Fireblast, which is now maxed and is my main skill. Shock Web is being raised currently as a synergy for Fireblast, and Death Sentry will be my main target once I hit 30... If I hit thirty. I found a nice Nagel Ring in the beginning of act2 somewhere and have been lucky enough to gamble decent rares, along with a shield that can easily give me 75% to block with some more dex points spent.

I have yet to have any NDE and I actually beat Duriel in record time on /Players 1 <-- I was slightly afraid that this character would end the same way as my sorceress, and tried to prevent that as much as possible. I need not have worried however, for Duriel went down after only using 2 health positions on my Merc. Fireblast now does 130-170 with a 3.3 yard radius. He dropped a lonely TP scroll.

Code:
 ALIVE
  Character     Class        Forum Name       	 Level 	  Act
 ----------------------------------------------------------
   Pala         Paladin      atreides               47    A1NM
   LovelyArrows Amazon       Vang                   34    A5
   BOB          Necro        SonOfBaal              33    A5
   Seoman       Paladin      Merlin The Wizzard     30	  A5
   Kravos_Dos   Assassin     DuesNox	 	    25    A3
   Claw         Druid        Gholi                  20    A2
   Conan        Barb         Vang                   19    A2
   HesDeadJim   Necro        Kedali                       A2
   DogWood      Druid        FatFree                15    A1
   TurkeyBuz    Druid        Vang                   14    A1
   Chi_mistress Assassin     Docturnal              12    A1
   Huggies      Druid        Poida                   7    A1
   Helios       Necro        Docturnal               5    A1
   Fractal      Druid        Tormal                       A1
                Assassin     Winmar                       A1
                Amazon       TheReadMenace                A1
   WIT-Kapoof   Assassin     Dolph                   1    A1
DEAD---------------------------------------------------------
  BubbaJones   Barbarian     Vang                   36    A5
  Ohh-shiny    Sorceress     Vang                   27    A3
  Kravos       Sorceress     DuesNox                25    A2
  Wildfire     Druid         Vang                   14    A2
  Kala-Azar    Assassin      Oblivious              17    A1
  Orator       Paladin       Docturnal                    A1

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

Dogwood moved on into the Black Marsh, cleared the Hole and then this strange ruined tower he came across. It was ruled by an evil Countess who was apparently not good at fighting wolves. Dogwood searched her body for loot, found a Tir rune and was about to move on to the overflowing chest in the middle of the room when he noticed her boots looked pretty nice. They were amazing, actually. They had some sort of flame retardant coating, well built too. He tried them on, and they made him feel more alive. However, when Klaudia came over after retrieving her arrows, she pointed out that these boots just didn't fit his figure or his lifestyle: "These heavy boots you have already have way better ankle support, and frankly they look better on you." It took a heated discussion, but Dogwood eventually gave in and stuck the Hotspur Boots in his stash in case someone else needed them.

atreides

Diabloii.Net Member

Pala has defeated Andariel on /players 7. It was an easy fight once I got her to focus on Pala instead of the merc. The entire act was done on /p7 except the contess level which was done on /p1. The act was surprisingly easy. The undead packs are piece of cake with sanctuary on. I wonder if later i can rely solely on killing undead. If I have close to max resists, max block and some life maybe it is triable.

Notable finds until now:
-Peasant Crown (! drop from a devilkin at the exact time i was wondering if a should go through all the trouble of killing fallens; on until death)
-Cleglaws Pincers (although Pala's wearing some 25MF rare chain gloves)
-the unique tower shield and the unique spetum (both droppped from the same pack of champion misshapen in cathedral; the unique tower shield is on switch for fire resist)
-the Goblin Toe (not on; Pala wears a 20 MF, half freeze rare light plated boots)
-Stormguild (stashed)
-the amulets of 3 normal sets (Vidala, Civerb, Iratha)
-Razorswitch (stashed)
-and of course, the merc's weapon and Pala's shield which I already paraded.

One highlight was my first crafted safety amulet. This beauty is the result:
Doom Eye
Amulet
Required Level: 48
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0xc865e040
+10% Increased Chance of Blocking
Damage Reduced by 7
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
All Resistances +5
+1 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)

I also crafted a hit power ring but with modest results. Lacking in Lightning resist (all misshapen were NDEs), I cubed a Coral ring. After several tries I managed to get a 30% one, which, along with other improvements, boosted LR to max.

I sold all the equipment saved from previous acts (the ones which would sell to max value) and now have 1.3 millions to spend in a huge gambling session (need a good ring). I also changed the merc to a HF one, but I felt sorry losing the defiance one. I hope I made the right call here.

The skills:
Sanctuary 20(22)
Thorns 20(22)
Smite 11(12)
Resist Fire 1(2)
Holy bolt 1(2)

In paranthesis it's the value after +skills.

The stats:
Strength 84 (105)
Dexterity 115 (115)
Vitality 131 (161)
Energy 15 (35)

Resists with mf on:
FR 27
CR 48
LR 75
PR 6

Pala, level 52, Act II NM

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

@artreides - You may thank me now for giving you caps to wear on your head. It was my foresight that made this possible for you!

Anyways, very nice equipment man! You're going to get far... Skin of the Vipermagi next I take it?

atreides

Diabloii.Net Member

O, mighty wizzard, merlin, thank you eternally for the great gift of cap you have bestowed upon this humble character :).

Though, more than the cap, I appreciate that aerin shield you rolled for me. The peasant crown lacks one very important thing: resists.

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

Dogwood finished off the demon Andariel after a somewhat prolonged fight which featured spirit wolves dying in droves while Klaudia used her new rare longbow with its chance to cast amplified damage to whittle Andariel's health away. Andariel was good for a new rare amulet and a pair of rare heavy boots.

Dogwood, lvl 20, Act II

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

Dogwood finally picked up some light gauntlets and also found the Artic Binding Light Belt, which makes him happy. He's switched to dire wolves now and just made it to the Arcane Sanctuary.

Dogwood, lvl 25, Act II

atreides

Diabloii.Net Member

Duriel has fallen. On players 1, with only one health potion used during the whole fight. I should have kept a higher setting (all act was done on players 7), but my cautious nature prevailed once more.

The act started with an easy time with Radament, continued with a desert stroll at a slow but relatively safe pace. Only one NDE with Fangskin. I thought I was really done for there, but somehow managed to find an opening through the surrounding monsters and fled.

In the palace cellar I came accross a very frustrating experience which changed my choice of equipment (for the merc at least). I have dropped all charms with elemental dmg as smite does not recieve elemental bonuses. I came across an extra strong blunderbore boss and began beating at it with my shield. After some time, my merc joined and we were both hitting with all our combined might. The boss's health slowly ( VERY slowly ) decreased to almost 0, when, instead on decreasing more, it began to increase! Soon it was healthy again. Aaaaargh! I think it took about one half an hour to finally kill it. I put something on the mouse button and stand by to watch. I realised something that prevented the heal must be on me or on the merc. During the battle I went to town once to buy some equipment with poison dmg but couldn't find one. I'm not a very big fan of checking again and again so i went and gambled all my money to find something useful. No luck. The kill was made anyway but it took very long. At the next save and exit I decided I must switch the lance of the merc with The Impaler I found earlier. Although it has smaller dmg, it hits more often (as it ignores target's defense) and also has a chance to open wounds. From then on it was easier.

The next thing that happened must be owed to the wizzard Merlin :thumbup:. One skeleton in one of the false tombs dropped this:
Skin of the Vipermagi
Serpentskin Armor
Defense: 279
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 43
Required Level: 29
Item Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0xa38bc767
+120% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 9
All Resistances +21
30% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to All Skill Levels

Thank you Merlin, that was nice. I changed immediately my MF armor for this (all my resists, except poison, were maxed) but I wondered whether I should press on with MF. Soon (in another false tomb) this dropped:
Crow Caw
Tigulated Mail
Defense: 517
Durability: 33 of 36
Required Strength: 86
Required Level: 37
Item Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0x4e813d6b
+15 to Dexterity
+171% Enhanced Defense
15% Increased Attack Speed
15% Faster Hit Recovery
35% Chance of Open Wounds

Of no use for this character but heartening nevertheless.

Before finding the Skin of the Vipermagi, I considered switching my beautiful amulet/armor/boots combo with those from the Vidala set (I have found the leather armor, amulet and boots). The blocking remained max as the partial set bonuses increase dexterity big time, the amulet gave MF, there were some resists, defense was higher. I decided against it though. If I would have done that I would have been imprisoned by the bonuses and unable to improve slightly by finding some better rare. Anyway, finding the skin solved my dilema.

Also found 2 Sols and one Shael during the act, but I think I'll keep the Peasant Crown and not make Lore for the time being. The Rhyme runeword would be nice if I could find a Gilded shield with sockets and some bonuses on it. I don't think I saw gilded shields dropping yet so I'm not counting on this.

Another notable find was the unique poignard which was stashed away.

Regarding skill, just before Duriel, the last possible point was added to smite. I now have maxed Smite, Thorns and Sanctuary. I think I'll pump Holy bolt now, although I don't have th eopportunity to use it very often. I usually smite something so I don't have time to heal anyone.

On to Act 3. Thinking on playing on with /p7, but will drop if it gets too dangerous or painfully slow.

Pala, lvl 60, Act III NM

/edit: forgot to add Duriel's drop: one lousy puny rare shamshir. Anyway, I should not complain. Other monsters more than made up.

bladejj

Diabloii.Net Member

What weapon are you using atreides? You should consider making a 'malice' weapon if you can. The prevent monster heal will stack with smite and will prevent all monster regeneration, and the open wounds will add some damage as well.

I actually took a hc untwinked cleric (holy bolt and cleansing) all the way to act 2 hell before he died, as the main source of his damage against all non undead was the damage smite (99.9% open wounds).

atreides

Diabloii.Net Member

I am using a Strength rune scepter. Scepters (exc/elite) have max 2 sockets so that leaves the merc. Merc is using The Impaler, but a lance with 3 sockets would be an improvement. I just couldn't find one yet. Anyway, even if I would have been assigned a weapon that could get 3 sockets, it would be dangerous to use Malice as I'm not allowed to Prayer.

Chrispminis

Diabloii.Net Member

Hey, first post here in the SPF, but I was browsing and this tournament piqued my interest. I'm really terrible at HC, but I'll try my hand at it anyways.

Could someone roll me up a Paladin with 2 combat, 2 offensive, 1 defensive?

Also, a scepter for a weapon please.

Thanks!

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

Hey Chrispminis, good to have you.

Paladin
Combat - Conversion, Smite
Offensive - Holy Freeze, Fanaticism
Defensive - Cleansing

Scepter - Grand Scepter
Helm - Full Helm
Armor - Splint Mail
Shield - Buckler
Class item - Targe
Belt - Belt
Gloves - Light Gauntlets
Boots - Greaves

let us know if you want any rerolls (cleansing?) and good luck! :)

Chrispminis

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks very much! Interesting skills. :D

Please re-roll Cleansing (please no Prayer!) and Full Helm. Thanks.