Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Random rig construction question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jmervyn, Apr 13, 2016.

1. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

OK, so my old rig is experiencing issues - most likely due to CPU fan failure. I bit the bullet & bought a new rig kit from NewEgg that includes the "Coenus" case, which has more holes than Hillary's e-mail explanations. Pretty much every surface on four sides has some type of perforation, grill, or fan mounting.

The power supply is one of those cool numbers that has a fan on the 'top' as well as the expected one on the back panel.

I'm wondering - I've put the power supply so the 'top' fan faces the grill on what will actually be the case bottom. It's on little rubber footies so there's some room for air circulation - but I don't really know if that would be better than having the fan blowing across the motherboard. Instinctively I wanted to have the fan pushing the air from the power supply outside of the case.

Thoughts? Opinions? Brickbats?

2. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Member

You did the right thing.

Psu's should be mounted to exhaust air out of the case.

What psu did you buy. This is the one item people don't pay enough attention to on building PC's.

3. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Member

Ps bottom mounted psu's are the norm these days.

4. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Here's what I got:
    1 x ($329.99) GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 4GB TWIN TURBO OC EDITION
    $329.99

1 x ($159.99) AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8350FRHKBOX Desktop Processor
    $159.99

1 x ($129.99) ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    $129.99

1 x ($59.99) ENERMAX ECA3291A-B Black SECC 0.5-0.6mm ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    $59.99

1 x ($59.99) Rosewill ARC-650, ARC Series 650W Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI & CrossFire Ready
    $59.99

1 x ($48.99) TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM
    $48.99

1 x ($39.99) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C10D-8GXM
    $39.99

1 x ($38.99) ADATA Premier SP550 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ASP550SS3-120GM-C
    $38.99

1 x (-$0.99) DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #158014
    -$0.99

1 x (-$0.99) DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #158859
    -$0.99

1 x (-$54.93) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #2781939
    -$54.93

Subtotal: $811.01
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping and Handling: $7.62
    Total Amount: $818.63

I figure the price really wasn't all that horrible, given that my re-use of the old system will be minimal. I'm completely confident that none of the components are the BESTEST EVAH but it seemed to me to be a decent package.

My boy implied that SSD drives are tricky to configure. I have to admit I've never used one, and was very pleasantly surprised at the cost for the one included.

PS My boy also wants to video document the assembly - I showed him this and told him his competition is hot Asian chicks, so he'll have to work hard. :p

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If you didn't have an SSD before, that's what will give you the most additional speed. I would have bought a bigger one BTW. Something like 480GB should be enough for all software you are going to install. Bulk data still doesn't belong on it, of course.

What I hate about SSDs is that whatever you favour, there's always one which is just a bit more expensive, but also more powerful. I have no feeling yet about what's the right mix of costs and performance.

I don't know what about an SSD has to be configured. You simply connect it and that's pretty much it, right? At least it was like that when I bought my computer 6 years ago. I have a 120GB one as well, but it cost 200 or 300 Euros back then and it's probably slower than yours :).

6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Yeah, but that's really true of all aspects of IT; you're always kicking yourself for not spending the extra cash to get just a bit better model, or not having waited until the X version 2.1 came out, or something else.

I've never had an SSD but have made the mistake of trying to use a separate HDD for cache memory. At that point in time, you had to have a best-of-breed drive to get any true benefit, and many times you would have been better off with some RAID variant.

That's one other thing I'm going to need to consider, since I have a bunch of used 500Gb drives that have about 3 years' continuous use on them. I don't particularly like partitioning single drives for multiple OS, so I'm wondering if I ought to put the Donald Trump OS (Windows 10 being thoroughly corrupt, bloated, and dishonest) on one drive, Linux on a second, and use the 1TB drive as storage for both. Thing is that's two extra HDD on the power supply.

7. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Linux + Productivity software on HDD 1 + non-game storage. Surf net from here.<-- Encrypt this one.

Win10 + Games (Steam, etc) on HDD 2. (Dig around online for some software that will disable the worst of the NSA-botnet. Can provide a few links if desired).

If you need additional storage, just buy some externals like these as needed.

That's how my current gaming rig is set up but it's not ideal. I have a second linux-only rig and I find it more convenient to just use that system for work/internet. YMMV of course. Depends on your needs and available office space.

jmervyn likes this.
  8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

By all means please do.

Current configuration is screwed up for me: 80Gb SATA Linux, 80 Gb SATA Windows, 250Gb SATA game/apps, various HDD via USB docking for backups, plus single 1Tb USB external that has working storage. Since the 1Tb is just FAT it's pretty damn naked when I run Winders.

9. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Disable Windows 10 Spying - Privacy & Security (youtube)

The description section beneath the video will have some extra info plus the link to Spybot Antibeacon.

https://www.privacytools.io/#win10

Scroll down a bit to the Good News/Bad News section for lots of informative links.

The best advice I can give you is to start getting used to thinking of Windoze as nothing more than a gaming OS. There is no way to completely lock it down (except to bar it from accessing the internet entirely).

jmervyn likes this.
  10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

That's not a significant mental shift on my part. They had to fudge the DoD security criteria to allow Windows to pass more than they did the female Ranger School attendees!

Basically change the circumstances until you get it over the bar, then rinse/wash/repeat. The only way one of the older Microsoft OS even got the foot in the door was by claiming it was secure when only connected to power in a 'clean room'.

11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

And? What did you think?

12. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Member

Not sure on that psu. Reviews aren't the greatest, but not horrible. I'd probably have gone for the xfx TS 550 for the same price.

13. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

That's the issue with NewEgg - they're probably dumping product when they compose these 'kit order' deals.

EDIT - I've got it up & running. DAMN it's quiet. I've dropped in two extra 500Gb drives for each OS and will use the 1Tb for apps & stores.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  14. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Member

Atleast you have decent competition for comp prices. We overpay for computer parts downhere despite most parts coming from Asia (which is closer to us than you).

Regardless I'd probably still not buy a kit as I like picking my own parts.

15. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I've fared pretty well. Bear in mind that while I'm a gamer, I do a fair amount of retro and don't really spend a lot of effort overclocking &c.

I'm more interested in security and virtualization, but since this is turning into a quick-fix situation I don't think I'll be able to indulge myself.

Unfortunately, I've got bog-standard Win7 on it now, and Ubuntu (15.10) isn't automatically recognizing it. I also tried moving the Program Files directory in the registry, and now the f'in thing isn't updating! I don't know if it's because of the IDS at work screwing around with it, or that I've tied Win7's shoelaces together by changing the Program Files directory.