RAM question

Mecal

Diabloii.Net Member
RAM question

For all those computer guys out there.
I have 4 RAM slots, 2 of them are taken, giving me 1gb, although, it isnt actually 1 gb, its 896 (128 is missing, which im assuming is being taken up by Windows and other stuff? i dunno, or i just got shorted :grrrr: )

Anyways, i want to put in a single 256mb stick - can i do this?
Am i allowed to have 3 sticks in use? or do i need 4?
sounds dumb, but im just makin sure.

thanks

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
yup, just make sure its the same style and the same speed or faster than what you have in there

the missing 128mb is probably being used by your video card if you dont have an agp or pci one

Mecal

Diabloii.Net Member
yup, just make sure its the same style and the same speed or faster than what you have in there

the missing 128mb is probably being used by your video card if you dont have an agp or pci one
ah ok.
now i gotta open my case (again) and look at the RAM.

i actually have a PCI card... :undecided:

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
if you have a pci or agp video card on a motherboard with onboard video, bios will still allocate some system memory for the onboard video, you can probably reduce it to 8 or 16mb tho if your not using it

some mobos have a jumper to turn off the onboard video, that should completely elliminate any memory allocation tward it

Mecal

Diabloii.Net Member
if you have a pci or agp video card on a motherboard with onboard video, bios will still allocate some system memory for the onboard video, you can probably reduce it to 8 or 16mb tho if your not using it

some mobos have a jumper to turn off the onboard video, that should completely elliminate any memory allocation tward it

hmmm.
you dont say?

how would i go about doing this?

btw, this is one of many upgrades im gonna do this winter :evil:
and by many i mean 3 others. :scratch:

TjejKast

Banned
For all those computer guys out there.
I have 4 RAM slots, 2 of them are taken, giving me 1gb, although, it isnt actually 1 gb, its 896 (128 is missing, which im assuming is being taken up by Windows and other stuff? i dunno, or i just got shorted :grrrr: )

Anyways, i want to put in a single 256mb stick - can i do this?
Am i allowed to have 3 sticks in use? or do i need 4?
sounds dumb, but im just makin sure.

thanks
Well, sure, you can put the 256mb stick there. Oh, and try to find one wich operates at the same speed, since your ram won´t go any faster then your slowest stick. Same brand would also help.

But why do you need 256 extra mb´s? You will barely see any difference, hence the amound of mb´s beeing so low. 512 Mb sticks are fairly cheep these days :flip:

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
find the model number for your mobo and google its manual
itll say what the memory specs are and what needs to be done to disable onboard video

Mecal

Diabloii.Net Member
find the model number for your mobo and google its manual
itll say what the memory specs are and what needs to be done to disable onboard video
alrighty, thanks.

Oh, and try to find one wich operates at the same speed, since your ram won´t go any faster then your slowest stick. Same brand would also help.

But why do you need 256 extra mb´s? You will barely see any difference, hence the amound of mb´s beeing so low. 512 Mb sticks are fairly cheep these days :flip:
i wanted the extra 256 since that would put me over 1gb.
also, i looked up 512's, and they're like 40-something dollars.

I guess we'll see what kind i have in my computer first.