Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rainbow Facets+Vengance question

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Dementor, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Dementor

Dementor Banned

Rainbow Facets+Vengance question

Will rainbow facets work with vengance, or only on "fire skills" or "lightning skills" (like how magefist, for example, affects only certain skills and not all fire damage.)

Secondly, what is the viablilty of a Tesladin using Grizwold's Legacy, compleltly full of Lightning facets?

I bring these up because one of my D2/RL buddies got stoned and apparently traded for this set and now we're trying to figure out what kind of character to make around it, making the best possible use of it's many, many sockets.

2. Habadacus

Habadacus IncGamers Member

I would imagine for a tesladin, that the -to enemy resists would stack nicely and work fine. However as far as the +to lightning damage goes I think it would only affect the "pulse" damage of the aura, not the lightning damage added to your melee attack. Since the pulse damage is pretty negligable anyway, especially in hell, that might not be such a great help. But the -resists would be a great help to a tesladin and any javazons or lightning sorcs in your party. Also, it might be possible to get facets with good -resists but poor +damage cheaply.

I think if you had a buncha facets lying around (fire/cold/lightning) it might be a better idea to use with an Avenger build, as the additional elemental damage from the jewels and the boost to -enemy resists would really stack up nice on top of Vengeance and Conviction. Again I don't think the +skill damage would do anything for you, but the rest could be nice. It would get you over the conviction -resist cap and you'd be deadly either PvP or PvM.

I was also thinking with this set it might be fun to build a sort of "suicide bomber", full of facets that cast high level blizzards/novas/meteors/poison novas when you die. Prolly not worth the investment, and better to be put in low level crap with lotsa sockets, but it would be funny as hell and I bet he'd do some big damage with enough spells going off at once. :flip:

3. Dementor

Dementor Banned

Thanks for the reply, but I had hoped for a bit more difinitive post. Will the +to whatever skills damage apply to vengance? If anyone's actually tested this, that'd be great.

What is the "conviction -res cap" by the way? Is it still -100?

4. Armor_Biff

Armor_Biff IncGamers Member

Its -150 (lvl 25 conviction), but you cannot lower a target's resists to more than -100.

5. Valind

Valind IncGamers Member

I have a Griswold set for my Avenger populated with nothing but perfect 5/5 Rainbow Facet jewels. I have 4 of each type (except for Poison) for a total of 12 facets. I call him my "Rainbow Avenger."

I'd like to know the answer to your question myself. Any suggestions on how to test?

6. Dementor

Dementor Banned

Well, since you've socketed the gear already, remove all your items (to get rid of any +to skills bias and such.) and equip some very basic weapon, and take note of your vengance damage. Then put the crown on, and see if your damage improves at all. If it improves, then the added damage on the facets work. If not, it doesn't. The damage change will be listed if it works. As for the - enemy res, those should work fine with vengance anyway.

7. Valind

Valind IncGamers Member

The damage is going to improve whether or not the jewels have +5% to Lightning Damage (or fire or cold) because the jewels add 1-74 Lightning Damage (or xx-xx Cold Damage or xx-xx Fire Damage).

What's needed is a way to find a definite way to calculate the damage differences that also filter out the specific xx-xx (insert element) Damage Rainbow Facets give.

Anybody have any ideas?

8. Dementor

Dementor Banned

Try subtracting.

9. Mack

Mack IncGamers Member

or see if you can find a magical jewel with the same level of elemental damage and socket that and a rainbow into an identical item (same Ed, same base, etc.) . That should negate that difference absolutely.

10. Valind

Valind IncGamers Member

I don't think it's that simple really.

11. Fearoth

Fearoth IncGamers Member

Why wouldnt it be? if all that works is the 1-74 lightning dmg then its all that will be added to your attack simple as that.

12. Valind

Valind IncGamers Member

Well, after following one of the suggestions in this thread, I have come to the conclusion that Rainbow Facet jewels DO increase Vengeance damage.