Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Racking in 1.07

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NamelessPenguin, Feb 15, 2018.

1. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

Well hello there.

I was thinking about racking a couple of items in 07, a eGPA for Infinity, and possibly for a BoTD too. And and maybe a eBerserker Axe for Beast. Highest dmg. possible, of course.

How long would this take? I am thinking from start to finish, including taking the char to LK. Is it "easy" to find a GPA rack?

Do I have to self-mp? I have a very slow internet connection when I'm off-shore, which makes MP impossible.

Do I have to worry about farming items at Meph and stuff like that, or just go with what I find?

Which build should I go with for this? I am only interested in racking. For now. And maybe chests, I don't know. Melee builds seem to bore me at the moment.

2. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know the answer, but I'm very curious about this as well, as my next runeword will probably be Doom, and I'm thinking of racking an 1.07 Berserker Axe. So I'll keep a close eye on this :).

3. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

If you haven't already, read the 1.07 guides and resources. I think I read the entire 1.07 thread before I did anything.

Your first character is going to be a sorc. There's no reason to make anything else. 20 Frozen Orb, 20 Static Field, and a bunch of points in Cold Mastery is the cookie cutter build; you can do whatever you want with the rest of your skill points. 1 point in Hydra may be worthwhile for racking purposes.

Self-MP is done locally; you don't need an internet connection at all. You don't -need- to, but using it to rush characters might be useful for various purposes (making more 1.07 sorcs to keep racks on, 1.10 beta Hellforge rushing, being able to kill ancients for full XP with rushed characters).

You don't need to MF to rack; my sorc's decked out in garbage she found while questing and a couple of unique upgrades found through racking (Wizardspike, Valkwing).

I can't recall how long it took to get a sorc from scratch to Matriarch. It was definitely longer than my 1.13 projects, and 1.07's more difficult than later versions in some specific ways, but as long as you're remembering to use the bug for infinite full rejuvs, you can brute force it.

Finding a stable rack that fits your criteria might take a while. My Valor rack took something like 15 hours of rolling to find without any intervening map having anything I wanted to hit for more than a few runs. I think a better way of approaching it is not being too intent on having a specific base to look for - having more things on your wishlist will let you spend more time running and less time rerolling, which might be better in preventing burnout.

For uniques, the expected time to rack one is 3-4 hours depending on how long the run is, but there's a lot of variance there - it took 8000 runs to get the two Valkyrie Wings I wanted, which was in the 30+ hour range. Sets drop very quickly, though, assuming you find a rack.

Regular ethereal bases drop at the same 1/20 rate as normal sources. You'll probably want to pick up a bunch of them so that you can cube them in 1.10+ and have some leeway in case of bad RNG, but that won't take too long. A superior ethereal base is something you should plan on committing hours to looking for, though. I think the 13% eGPA I made an Infinity in took somewhere around 8-10 hours to find, and running Berserker Axe/Small Crescent racks I stumbled across for ethereal 10%+ ed superior bases took around 6 hours each.

If you want a superior ethereal base with fewer sockets than the max... good luck. I don't think it'll be worth it.
    Bear in mind that polearms can get a max of 4os in 1.07 even if their max in 1.10+ is more than that, so you can socket superior bases for Insight/Infinity at 1.07 Larzuk.

4. EatSleepDiablov2

EatSleepDiablov2 Diabloii.Net Member

Good advice from Necro. Just to add...

A single rack in 1.07 is capable of dropping many, many items depending on how you approach it. Four teleports from the west, and it drops berserker axes. Walk up to it from the south, and it spawns balrog blades. Ten teleports from the east, and you have poleaxes.

Personally, I always racked as part of a normal LK super chest run to take advantage of some of the goodies there. I would then alter my route multiple ways to see what I could get the racks to drop. Once I had a stable rack for something good, I ran it extensively to ensure I had enough for all my toons.

If you are just looking for a few different eth bases, the amount of time needed shouldnt be too terrible. A superior eth base with the right number of sockets, a bit longer. Arkaines Valor, Grandfather, or Valk Wing on the other hand, strap in.

Not sure how many months of dedicated running I did, but I walked away with a ton of stuff. Keep your expectations low at first and educate yourself as much as possible about what items to stockpile along the way.

5. NamelessPenguin

@necrolemming Thank you for your reply, helpful as always :)

I haven't read the 07 thread yet, only a few posts here and there, but good idea to read it all. The reason I asked for self MP was if it is best she is a minimum lvl before racking, for health reasons. I don't think I will do anything in beta, though it sounds tempting.

The superior bases I need don't need to have fewer than max, I guess. eBoDT. Good tip on that max socket in 07, then I will hold on to that quest.

@EatSleepDiablov2 Like I said, I don't have any ambitions on finding Arkaines or the others, as I wouldn't know what to do with them. Nor do the older version of the common uniques tickle my curiosity. It's just the etheral bases.

Can the bases have higher than 15%ED? Thought I saw 67% in the IFT? I know the plain eth has higher. EDIT: Just saw it was @EatSleepDiablov2 GPA :p

Should I bother leveling my sorceress somewhere along the way before racking? I haven't played P1 in about 19 years o_O

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  6. Tatterson

Tatterson Diabloii.Net Member

Superior items work the same as 1.13

Level doens't really matter for racking. I have rushed sorcs at lvl 42 doing racking with a few fcr items and shopped life helm and armor. Having unlimited full rejuvs means you can't really die ever. Be sure to use frw in every slot you can, since it doesn't have diminishing returns in 1.07. I have 20 warmth 20 teleport on my rushed rack sorcs. Use telekinesis to pop chests through walls if there are enemies nearby.

7. NamelessPenguin

Ok, so I guess I'm not gonna worry about levels, just play the game as normal people do.

Which skills do I use while leveling? FO is only at lvl 30.

8. necrolemming

Static Field's the primary damage dealer against all nonimmunes. Make do with whatever you can find as a finisher - probably level 1 Glacial Spike. If you want, you can go shop a +3 GS staff to make things die a little quicker.

If you're talking about the 62% superior base posted, that's a display bug where the innate +50% max damage from 1.07 ethereal items is lumped in with ED% from other sources (in this case, the superior bonus).

9. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

While leveling buy a +3 glacial spike staff at 18. Before that you can do +3 ice blast :D. As soon as you make a single mpk ring it makes a huge difference. Rejuvs (even the regular rejuvs) help a lot, too. You can hit up LK for money/gems once you get there, too.
    I only pumped static field along the way (and 1 in warmth ofc)

10. EatSleepDiablov2

EatSleepDiablov2 Diabloii.Net Member

62% (50% bonus from 1.07 + 12% superior roll):

Superior Great Poleaxe
    Two Hand Damage: 111 - 307
    Durability: 28 of 30
    Required Level: 63
    Required Strength: 169
    Required Dexterity: 89
    Fingerprint: 0x4d910c2
    Item Level: 87
    Version: Expansion
    62% Enhanced Damage
    Increase Maximum Durability 10%
    Ethereal

11. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

Patience is the best thing for 1.07. That and killing the ancients where you get most of your level ups. Patience while questing. Patience while finding a rack and going through the combinations. Patience when finally racking.

And when you finally get your nice rack, but it then drops a gold, but for some reason it was a different base item .. Try not to put your fist through the computer screen.

GalaXyHaXz and pharphis like this.
  12. NamelessPenguin

I never knew that Static was so OP in 07, nice. So I guess the skill distribution could look like this, and in order:

1 pt Warmth first
    1 pt Glacial Spike
    Pump static until TP gets available
    Max TP when availiabe
    Max Static
    Max Frozen Orb?

Or nah? What about stats, do I put points into mana?

And I don't know what this full rejuv. bug is about. How do I use it?

How do I make a mpk ring?

When I wan't to forward an item, do I just open it in GoMule and transfer it to a 1.13d char?

Yes, I know, I haven't done my homework yet...:oops:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  13. necrolemming

You don't need to max Teleport that early. Do it after your offensive spells.

If you sell a full rejuv to a merchant and have one in the belt still, you can shift+buy to fill the belt with purchased rejuvs.

MPK rings are made with the cold resist cube formula.

Make a 1.07 character in Atma, mule whatever you want to forward onto it, open the character in 1.13 to convert it, then you can mule off of it.

You should definitely go do your homework.