Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Racial differences, and Political correctness.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Steve_Kow, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Racial differences, and Political correctness.

Are the differences between the races more than skin deep? It is clear that the different races look different, I can tell a person of African descent from a person of European descent instantaneously, but are their other differences as well? Is it possible that the average intelligence, or propensity towards obeying the law, or any other measurable characteristic, is different among the various races?

2. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Black people are very good at basketball and are usually very athletic

3. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

pfft...stereotype..:rolleyes:

4. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's the one thing that is clearly noticeable with Africans. I guess a rougher lifestyle has led to better physical fitness on a genetic level.

5. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

well its true. They like sports and are usually very athletic. Anyways if it was a stereotype why cares its a good one!

6. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

Depending on how you look at it, races are nothing more than a concept that was envisioned in order to allow a group of of people the ability to classify the others with regards to themselves. They did this to justify their barbaric treatment of these other civilizations.

If I remember properly, studies of the DNA of hundreds of humans have found that (don't ask me how they pulled this off) all humans, regardless of race, stem from a small tribe of 200 odd members down in the middle-East...

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I just wanted to be able to say I posted here before things went to hell and everyone was killed

8. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

I'd like to think that we might actually be able to get through this one without anybody losing an arm or streaking through the thread... Might be nice... I have a dream.... :teeth:

9. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Its clear that there are physical differences (some races are more likely to get certain diseases, they look slightly different), however what I'm asking is if it is possible that there are mental differences.

10. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

As a race, I would say no. I think society drives the way people become, and even some work to become who they are almost independently of society. As with genetics, it has nothing to really do with the race, again. We're all human, so the differences are mostly skin deep. If there were two "races" living on the planet, one being humans and the other being Keroak's (a made up race), who had super huge muscles but were not as smart as humans, then yes you could say that race played a role. Just my point of view. :)

11. Ash Housewares

I don't know if there's any way to prove or disprove any connection between ethnicity and mental capacity

any way that is in within the grasp of any of us

12. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

I've lived in a couple of very different countries in my short life, and from what I've seen my answer would be hell no. Ofcourse I've only met so many people.

Nonetheless I have just an easy a time understanding and building a good rapport with people's from whatever background without acting any differently.

As for the african athleticism I think it's a matter of nurture, not nature.

13. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

i'm not sure about mental acuity...i think different cultures think different ways...but I'm not sure if the difference would be enough to measure.

for instance, there is an area in western africa...i believe it's in kenya...where almost all of the men are incredible runners. the best of that tribe come to america and win millions of dollars running marathons. that tribe has become betterurnners because they have to run to eat. to get where they are going...they all run a lot and they are better at it.

blacks are more likely to be good at sports involving running because they were running longer than other races. this is simple evolution...physically they are slightly better as a race...i think most people would agree to that...now does that mean all blacks are better runners? no. but the difference is signifacant.

the japanese culture was founded on harvesting rice. rice takes a lot of time and effort --manual labor to harvest. the time and effort it takes has made the japanese more used to long hours, and instilled a dedication to doing everything the "best" most efficient way. this is partially cultural...but i think after 2000 years of it they have become a more patient more detail oriented race.

now many of oyu will say i'm racist. but I'm glad everyone is different..i'm glad we have different people with different strengths. the races may not be exactly equal...but they're damned close. and everyone of us deserves equal opportunity. People naturally adapt to their environment and that's a good thing...and people having different strengths is a good thing. people will naturally specialize and do what they are best at and what they can be the happiest at.

Racism is not merely believing that one race is better at one thing or another...that doesn't cause any problems. problems arise when the government or sme group of people go out of their way to keep another race down. this was happening in this country not long ago...and frankly it still happens today. but it's nearly beaten...unfortunately in teh process we stopped accepting that we have differences--glorious differences.

if someone in today's environment were to decide not to hire a black merely because he was black..he owuld likely eventually be run out of business. competition is fierce out there. companies can not afford to be prejudice. for nearly all jobs i can think of out side the realm of sports, race simply doesn''t matter. anyone can be a great salespeson, anyone can be a great accountant...it's all a matter of style and angle...oyu play on your strengths and oyu avoid airing your weaknesses and anyone will succeed.

someone will likely also say that racism is still alive because blacks don't make as much money as whites. well, partially that's because they started out with only low paying jobs a few generations ago. when my parent's were kids they were janitors and whatnot. now, that's just opened up and it's fixing itself. there are some culturral things that get in the way of blacks...but as more and more blacks find their way to wealth and come back and let others see, more and more will become interested in education. more and more will have the drive to succeed and more and more will. If i was black i would find programs like Afirmative action insulting....I think they can and will do it on their own.

as for nature vs. nurture...well everytime someone asks this question i answer...it's always at leat partially both. is it 50/50 or is it 90/10 well that's where the argument seems to come in. unless of course you don't believe in evolution...

if you don't believe in evolutioin...then how did we get people of different races? and why is it that people who live near the equator are dark and people who live in the north and disant south are lighter? don't you think that if for thousands ofyears a small group living in the freezing cold might eventually apdapt to that climate and those living in very intense heat adapt to that?

they say people who move from canada to the sun belt find that their blood thins out in the hotter environment...and that's in less than a lifetime.

14. th5418

th5418 Banned

What are we doing? Are we arguing about sterotypes? Or posting them? Ill post some oxymorons!

Dumb Asian
    Unathletic Black

15. Ash Housewares

stupid poison pokemon

16. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

ash I think your in the wrong thread.

17. th5418

th5418 Banned

Poison pokemon? PIKACHU SHALL CONQUER ALL.

18. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

To describe a person first describe the environment he lives in.

I think when people live in "segregated" communities it becomes easier to make inferences about the group as a whole, since they all live and interact with mainly eachother. Factors such as intelligence depend on the situation of the community.

However, when people live in urban areas where ethnically mixed situations exist, it becomes harder to generalize something about a race, since they are interacting with other races. Just a theory

Races do have obvious physical characteristics, but again, the condition of a person depends on the condition of the environment. Many people of the same race live in many different types of environments. And by environment I dont mean the ecosystem.

19. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

th, pikachu now? bah on pikachu

FOREVER MILTANK lol :flip:

20. Ash Housewares

koffing is much better than pikachu, I have a couple good poketars but I'm stuck on transformers for the time being