Rabies/Fury PvP : what to socket SS with?

edgie

Diabloii.Net Member
Rabies/Fury PvP : what to socket SS with?

I was thinking a -15 req/15 ARes jewel because it would serve as an all-arround pub setup sort of shield and because i do seem to lack a bit of resistance (thoguh the SS is really more important in melee duels). I have also heard of eld (-dex requirement) and shael (wolves have horrible block rate animation). Advice?

General Pub Setup:
jalal
highlords
30 res wyrm fort
15 pdr dungos (tgods stashed)
20 dex rave
BK
Bloodfists
Gores
Grief

thanks in advance
cheers

*edgeedge

edit: also i had wanted to ask, would dracs be a better choice then bloodfists? does the lifetap proc really help fury druids?

Within

Diabloii.Net Member
I was thinking a -15 req/15 ARes jewel because it would serve as an all-arround pub setup sort of shield and because i do seem to lack a bit of resistance (thoguh the SS is really more important in melee duels). I have also heard of eld (-dex requirement) and shael (wolves have horrible block rate animation). Advice?

General Pub Setup:
jalal
highlords
30 res wyrm fort
15 pdr dungos (tgods stashed)
20 dex rave
BK
Bloodfists
Gores
Grief

thanks in advance
cheers

*edgeedge

edit: also i had wanted to ask, would dracs be a better choice then bloodfists? does the lifetap proc really help fury druids?

Hmm I will suggest an ELD in your SS.

Bloodfist give u 30 % fhr which will help u hit 86 fhr easier.

Yes lifetap help fury druid.

i like bloodfist more cos of life and fhr. Dracul is more on pvm for me

Clay bizzle

Diabloii.Net Member
Eld is an easy choice, but good jewels are better. A -15 req with some other mods would rule. I'm workin on getting something like that right now. Glove choices for you would be Trangs and Bloodfist. Life Tap is pretty lame in general for PvP because it's usually bm plus all CtC curses don't have much of a place in PvP. The open wounds from Dracs is also nothing special. You already have huge damage over time from Rabies, much more then OW, and for Fury you shouldn't have to rely on it. OW is much better in other builds like WWsin and BvC.

Caninja

Diabloii.Net Member
Wasn't there someone who tested this out on the forums and showed there was something not working right with shael'd shields for druids. I took mine out of my SS afterward and it does feel like I do better. I believe Kiba did the same thing afterward with similiar results. I'm going to try to find that post.

superjayson

Diabloii.Net Member
Wasn't there someone who tested this out on the forums and showed there was something not working right with shael'd shields for druids. I took mine out of my SS afterward and it does feel like I do better. I believe Kiba did the same thing afterward with similiar results. I'm going to try to find that post.

There was. Something about getting to the 86% fhr breakpoint and it screwing up blocking ?

Caninja

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's the link I was talking about
http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=494810&highlight=block

Heres Ink's fancy explanation for those into theory

"block/attack speed/fhr are totally unbalanced now.

75% block doesn't mean 75% chance to block every hit that rolls a chance to hit you (which is why in 1.09 and before you could be block locked)...here's why:

1.10 introduced a "block timer" which basically means that in between blocks there is a "cool down" period, very similar to casting cool downs/delays on skills like frozen orb, firestorm, FoH, etc. You can make the casting cool down period shorter by adding faster cast rate, and it can be noticeable on skills like firestorm, but no matter how much fcr you get, you can't cast a steady stream. So you might be at 11 frame casting, but in between those 11 frame casts, you have to wait for the spell to cool down, meaning that 11 frame attack isn't "really" 11 frames.
This is how block works now - on interruptable attacks. You have a 75% chance to block a hit that rolls a chance to hit you considering clvl, ar, and defence. After each sucessful block, you have to wait a certain number of frames for blocking to "cool down" in order for you to roll another 75% chance to block. So, you have a 75% chance to block an attack that has rolled a chance to hit you, BUT NOT WITHIN THE TIMER, essentially meaning that 75% block doesn't mean you have a 75% chance to block every attack that rolls a chance to hit you - so 75% block isn't "really" 75% chance to block. You can shorten the timer marginally by using faster block rate.

Now, here's an untechnical answer to your question - if you use 86% fhr, don't worry about shaeling your stormshield. In fact, because of the timered block along with the way hit recovery animations work, you will in fact get hit more by using faster block, fhr and attack all at once. What works in game is 42% fhr with shael storm, or 86% fhr with unshaeled storm.
"

Josiphos

Diabloii.Net Member
I personally went with Ber'd SS + CoH for max dr.

Pdiamonds are my second choice though, with druids lacking in the resists department anyway

Kiba

Diabloii.Net Member
Ed / Dex jewels and str /dex/ and other useful mod jewels are what tickle my fancy now for puttin in ss and too be honest i do better with out the shael in my Stormshield.

This is what i currently have in mine.
http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ssjewelox3.png

15 ar* , 1-94 light dmg , 9 str, 9 dex

this jewel gives me a lil extra dex for block and also has a little bit of dmg and ar as a bonus.

Idealy for these kinda jewels a 40ed/9 dex or ed/str/dex jewel would be godly.

edgie

Diabloii.Net Member
thanks for all the responses....i figure im going to socket a few shields (SS's aren't expensive :p) and see what yields me a better result

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a storm with 40ed/7dex in it, and after a day or so after putting it in, i found another jewel with 37ed/9dex. I use the latter atm. :thumbsup:

Rabbitz

Diabloii.Net Member
Ed / Dex jewels and str /dex/ and other useful mod jewels are what tickle my fancy now for puttin in ss and too be honest i do better with out the shael in my Stormshield.

this jewel gives me a lil extra dex for block and also has a little bit of dmg and ar as a bonus.

Is that cryptic sword what I think it is..

If so, nice job :(

MaStAViC

Diabloii.Net Member

Hi, Kiba,
How's it going? Looks like you're a PvP god around here at the moment =P Quick question: Why the 40%ED/9Dex jewel? That would save you nine stat points, whereas if you socket a 40%ED/-15%Req jewel, you would save yourself 23 stat points. Am I missing something here? I did think about strength increasing damage, but that itself can't be it, right?

Thank you,
-=MaStA ViC

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
Then you cant switch the shield to a 4ort monarch. And you still need alot of strength to wear tomb. And coa isnt exactly light either. So you wouldnt save so many stats. The 9dex is straight up blocking.

MaStAViC

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for replying, Pedu. My PvP style is quite a bit different than most other players'. It looks like the majority of PvP WW Druids would like to be versatile with their characters using item switch, I prefer versatility using characters. What I mean is that I will create a character just to duel another type or character. For example, I will create Druid A just to fight melee, and Druid B just to fight casters. Most players seem to create one just Druid to fight melee using Weapon Setup A, and fight casters using Weapon Setup B.

My versus-melee PvP Druid will be using a Grief Phase Blade, won't have a two-handed weapon, and will most likely be using Jalah's, not Crown of Ages.

I appreciate your input greatly, as it allowed me to see why a jewel with dex socketed into Stormshield would be a good idea for many people.

Thanks!
-=MaStA ViC