Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rabies druid question

Discussion in 'Druid' started by MercenaryKnight, Apr 7, 2004.

1. MercenaryKnight

MercenaryKnight Banned

Rabies druid question

What works with rabies like crushing blow deadly strike open wounds or any of that work with rabies? Also does adding poison charms up the rabies damage? Just wondering because im thinking about making one :)

2. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

There are guides for this up top. Check it out.

As for quick answers. Yes those MELEE activation work because RABIES is a melee attack which POSIONS. However note that the RABIES builds do not care about the weapon DMG on a RABIES attack but more about the SKILL ATTACK. Meaning, PLAGUE BEARER, a 1 handed sword gives +5 to RABIES. Some people use this for PvM. Or other weapons with plus skills.

After inflicting RABIES they then switch to a different WEAPON and attack. Meaning RABIES is a skill based attack thus pumping THINGS which bonus the skill are in your best interest.

**IMPORTANT** Also, when building RABIES make sure you exploit the CARRION RING synergy.

**IMPORTANT** Also, when using rabies, MAKE SURE RABIES is the only posion dmg on you. Otherwise you screw yourself royaly

3. junglejim

junglejim IncGamers Member

Not meaning to pick nits (though I guess I'm succeeding despite my intentions :) ) but

WHAT's the DEAL with RANDOM capitalized WORDS? Or do you have some formula to determine which WORDS must be capitalized?

Enquiring minds and all that...

4. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

he's making sure that other noobs dun ask him, is it for melee or missle, is poison supposed to spell like posions. is rabies a druid skill, etc...

5. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

I am confused here. Plague bearer gives 300 poison dmage, will this "screw" the rabies druid? how about the 160 poison damage charms?

6. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

Tis the answer I hate to give. Why? Cause it confuses alot of people.

New Posions Rate = (Sum of all sources of Posion Rates)
    New Posions Duration = (Avg of all sources of Posion)

A numbers comparion at this moment would not be beneficial to you because alot of the numbers matter. Meaning Even if I say suppose you had level 20 rabies, thats wouldnt help because wearing a bramble runeword and/or trangs would through the examples way off.

Suffice it to say. When you mix different posion sources you ought to decide what you want. Meaning do you want:
    1) high poision dmg over a long time
    2) Even higher posion dmg over a short time
    3) Or Medium Dmg over a Long time.
    ----------------------Case 1 ---------------------------------------
    Look at it this way. Since you use Plague bearer with +300 dmg over 8 seconds. The rate = 300psn over 8sec= 37.5
    Say you had a RABIES with rate 200. 2000psn over 10seconds.
    That would make your new dmg -----> 200+37.5 = 236.5
    That would make your new duration --> 10 + 8 /2sources = 9

-----------------------Case 2 --------------------------------------
    Now in this cause lets say we have 6,000 dmg over 17 sec, the rate would be 353.

Using the Plague Swords stats:
    That would make your new dmg -----> 353+37.5 = 390 psn
    That would make your new duration --> 17 + 8 /2sources = 12 sec

SOOOOOOO what have we learned? In case one mixing was good. In case 2 it seems good but if you look closer, you lose 5 seconds of 353 dmg to inflict 37 more dmg a sec for a 12 second duration. Meaning you lose out around 1500 ish posion dmg a target.

What that tells you is that if you ever mix posion lengths. Do not mix dmg and duration lengths of great difference. In case 1 you benefitted becuase both dmg and durations were low. In case 2, since your original dmg is extremely high over time and your mixing with low dmg over short time, it actaully weakens your attack.

Now that doesnt really answer your question does it. your question is does plague sword screw you. Well I cant say because what is your total Skill level? What bonuses do you have like Trangs, etc.... In most cases it will not screw you unless your a posion junkie. Meaning if you invest alot in maximizing posion. So your gonna ahve to calculate it yourself but in simple terms mixing posions isnt good with attack with skills based on it becuase currently the 1.10 skill attacks with poison have such high dmg that other sources will only bring them down.

-----------------CASE 3 CHARMS----------------------------
    Now in this cause lets say we have 6,000 dmg over 17 sec, the rate would be 353.

Charm has 160 dmg over 6 seconds, rate = 26
    That would make your new dmg -----> 353+26 = 381 psn
    That would make your new duration --> 17 + 6 /2sources = 11 sec
    Huge loss of dmg. you lose 1900 dmg overall.

---------------FINAL CASE CHARM & plague----------------------------

Charm has 160 dmg over 6 seconds, rate = 26
    Using the Plague Swords stats 300 dmg over 8 sec, rate = 37.5
    That would make your new dmg -----> 353+37.5 +26= 416 psn
    That would make your new duration --> 17 + 8 + 6/3sources = 10 sec
    That would make your new dmg -----> 353+26 = 381 psn

Huge loss of dmg. you lose around 1900 dmg overall.

As you can see normally you'd think adding another source of posion would increase your dmg. But in actuallity, it has no effect, wasted space.

7. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

interesting revelation. so does that means that equipping a 4 sock poison facet shield/5 sock poison facet weapon on switch to maximise the dmg done is useless if you attack w/o rabies. What if you don't attack? Does the modifiers still screw with your rabies damage as I understand after rabies is done, it's considered as a poison and will take the higher duration and damage of another poison source. Thanks in advance.

8. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

why use facets when you can simply make a "malice" weapon and get 100% open wounds ontop of rabies.

9. Black_Dog

Black_Dog IncGamers Member

Rabies isn't typical poison damage my friend... or have you never even used the skill before?
    1. It is the only poison based skill that can kill w/o the aid of physical damage
    2. It spreads
    3. When something is infected with Rabies, that's the only poison damage infecting them, no other poison damage can hurt them
    4. Reduced Poison Duration has little effect on Rabies, it keeps on infecting them even after the duration is supposed to have ended...

how can you include this rather unique skill in your rather ordinary poison calculations?
    i may be full of ****... but as soon as i can, i'm going to conduct some more tests on duration and such to see if your findings have any base at all

EDIT: I really need to learn how to fully read the post i'm replying to... you didn't mention rabies at all... but anyway, Psn facets only increase the damage of rabies, the added psn damage from the facets doesn't add on or affect the rabies damage, only the +% to psn dmg does
    like i said earlier, there's no point to having charms, the added poison damage doesn't even work when using rabies... it doesn't help or hinder it

10. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

I think he's assuming rabies is normal poison damage - it isn't.

11. Black_Dog

exactly what i've been trying to say for the past day or so >.<

12. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

I see why Burnt_toasty hates to answer this question. I actually understood prettiy well what you said. But then came everyone else comments to your answer and I see that there is no agreement on an answer. But generally from what you said, it seems that it is better not to combine several sources of posion.

13. Black_Dog

we at least learned that much from all this...

14. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

sure did. so other than facets which increases the damage (assuming you don't attack with the weapon), other items that can increase the output of rabies are +skills and +psn skill and - psn resist like brambles runeword, pus spitter, etc. got screwed really badly in the mind there :confused: cos prior to toasty's post, i remembered kaz's guide mentioning something abt on switch facets equipment.

15. Black_Dog

yeah, you get a nice weapon switch with -enemy res on it and after you bite, you switch it once and then switch again real quick back to ur main attack weapon... the -res stays active :)

16. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

Extra poison damage doesn't hurt, it just doesn't help.

Read electricblue's guide...