Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quitting on a very low note: I hacked

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jantia, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jantia

jantia Banned

Quitting on a very low note: I hacked

Yes, I really mean it.

This is the story:

Note: I do write this asking anybody to feel sorry for me or to avoid getting banned. In no way does this greatly affect me emotionally. The decision to post this was made after reviewing the facts logically in my head and deciding this was the best thing to do.

So today....

After great thought, I decided to roll my grief in a Zerker axe. It came out as a 30/35x. At that moment, I was quite angry at my luck.

So, I gave in to temptation, and I rerolled it. It came out as a 40/384 Grief.

At this point, I was happy and thought "oh well, no one's the worse for it". After I while though, the guilt rose and I didn't really feel comfortable with it.

Of course, the easy thing to do, would be to reroll it until it got the original stats and then just leave it at that and not do something like that again.

However, it was more complicated than that. After a little reflection, I realized that it was rather a problem that I felt the need to cheat at Diablo and began to think that I should probably quit.

However, the pull of Diablo is strong; I could not bring myself to delete all my stashes/characters I had spent so long on, so, on an impulse, when I was about to load a mule to trade with someone, instead on putting in my pgems, I duped a whole bunch of classic pgems (I have a few left over from my experimentations with previous patches) and put them in instead.

It was irrational, but I thought that if I get caught, well I'm banned so I'll quit, and if I'm not, well then I'll just keep on playing. A sort of, if you will, coin flip. I guess that I knew subconciously that being banned would be the only way I quit: I would come crawling back after a few weeks otherwise.

About five minutes after sending the email however, I regretted the decision. It would suck to be banned, and I thought up a horde of excuses for why I might have 50 or so classic pgems/hoped that the person would not notice and the next couple trades I made were made with my real pgems.

After a little more thinking, I realized that a game making me behave like this really was a kinda serious problem and that even if I didn't get caught, I'd own up and get banned as I was obviously semi or completely addicted. While I could deal with that when it was summer vacation, with school starting, it could turn out to be disasterous. With that I decided to go to sleep.

While brushing my teeth, it occured to me, the effect that my banning would have. I have traded with as many, if not more people than CoS. If the person I sent the Classic Gems too realized what he recieved and he alerted mods (which was likely, seeing that I knew that he had recieved the gems, but had not replied), I would have a very hard time convincing them that this was my first time hacking, and many people would feel obliged to therefore delete hundreds of items.

Therefore, I wrote this thread. Hopefully, this will convince people that the items I have traded in the past are legitimate. I was not thinking of the impact it might have on the community, when I first sent out the "duped pgem" mule. Obviously I should have just been able to quit without help.

I understand that people will be cynical of what I say, for this is a weird story, and for their sake, and mine, I ask that the mods ban me no matter what. After all, I did hack and I might not even be telling the truth now in this post. Obviously, the actual thought processes were no where as simple as what I wrote, but that would be a fairly accurate summary of the thought processes. In retrospect, eveb I'm not 100% sure what I was thinking when I duped those gems, and although I did my best to try and explain why I did such a thing, it does sound very ubelievable, even as I am rereading this post.

I did not really feel like talking about something like this, to, pardon me, a group of strangers, but I did it because I truly appreciated the fun times I had with this forum and hope that through this post, I will limit the damage that my stupidity may cause. I don't know how much help this will be, as other members, when they were banned, probably said it was their first time as well, but the items they traded in the past were considered illicit. It is more of a selfish gesture than anything else, as this post will somewhat lessen the guilt I feel.

This will be the last time I post on these forums, and hopefully the last time I visit. I'm sorry that it is one that will bring more trouble to the SPF. Please don't repeatedly fill this thread with OMG HE SUXXX. If you must, limit it to this thread. Yes I know that I was stupid and selfish. Venting is something most people want to do. Posting more than once about it just doens't help matters though. Save it for the monsters.

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Well thanks Jantia.
    The stash you sent of 45 gems to me is deleted. The 30 PAmys I sent to you are lost.
    Guess I have some cubing to do.
    Edit: This post was probably a bit sounded quite harsh. The miracle of missing body language. Skinny, chill, it's just a game. 30 Pgems is quite minor really.

3. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Im new here so my opinion might mean nothing, but I would say that repenting is the way to salvation. By that I mean emailing and letting whomever got the mule know dont open it Ill Send you a clean one wich you did. Then by coming forward and admitting it instead of waiting to be caught(or not). And finally remembering that in the end this is only a game. It should never cause to much real life stress for you!

4. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Sheesh.

Well, all I can say is this. Every circumstance is different and needs to be evaluated on an individual basis. That is why we are all unique. If we were all clones and did everything exactly the same, then 'one rule (One Ring?) to rule them all' would be fine.

People make mistakes. Live and learn. No flame wars please.

For the record, I believe what you have said in this post, Jantia.

In any case, you want to be banned anyway. If is has to be that drastic to remedy your addiction, then so be it. Get banned to help you get back to RL. Don't get banned because you made a mistake, but tried to limit the damage by posting this.

Good luck to you. And I'll take this opportunity to thank you for your advice in my old amazon thread.

5. Skinny

Skinny Banned

Jantia, whatever you plan to change in your life is up to you but you should have not screwed over Thyiad like that. If you wanted to get banned there are other numerous ways to do that, as this forum has really strict rules, not involving trading. Congratz for being an a**hole after your heart- touching thread ZOMG I found a zod.

Yeah, you do suck

6. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Skinny, I'm guessing that Thyiad is going to be one of the more minor cases of fallout that we'll get from this... :cry:

For my part, I try to live by Walt Disney wisdom: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

7. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Great, just after I traded a Hoto to you... at least I have a note of all the items I got off you and I can delete them. I won't be using them but I don't want to give them to anyone else in case you have hacked before this.

See ya

8. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

"Death be not proud. Though some have called thee mighty and dreadful, thou art not so."

9. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

My posting this is rather pointless, but I repeat, No Flame Wars Please.

Nothing good to say, then don't say anything.

Leave it to the mods.

10. colony

colony IncGamers Member

I'm afraid that almost everything you've traded's going to end up being deleted, despite admitting it was only those two times you did hack. The whole sending classic PGems thing does sound a bit strange though

Don't suppose you know where that quote originally comes from? All I've got in my head now's the first 30 seconds of Follow the Reaper:shocked:

11. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

Somehow Ive seen this coming.....well GL with your RL.:thumbsup:

Oh and ppl have the right to flame (if there is a reason)...thats the only possible way to express anger here.

12. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

I dissagree about the flaming XDoomasX , it's still a forum rule and a bannable offense(even given these circumstances). - I will stop here as i don't want to drag it out anymore.

It's a shame it ended like this i guess good luck in RL and the such

13. Atil

Atil IncGamers Member

Holy Sonnet X by the 17th century English Poet John Donne :brainiac:

14. FlimFlan

FlimFlan IncGamers Member

I don't post here alot anymore, but I highly doubt it is a one time thing. I've seen it before and it always turns out that there was that one other time, and a time before that and just one time before that one...

15. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

nothing to see here.

edit: thats what I wanted to post aman:wink3:

16. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

Last post on this i promise. :rolleyes:

I can completley understand that people may have lost alot of items due to this and are feeling really annoyed about it.

Though when i get frustrated i punch the wall next to my compter(works for me since i punch it alot and i get frustrated with diablo all the time :grin: ).

If people can do it in a proper manner to make them feel better then go ahead but in my mind the line between flamming/posting something to release stress in a situation like this is a very fine line and i am always careful i don't come close to crossing it(by not posting anything about it really).

17. colony

colony IncGamers Member

Thanks, I was half expecting it to be from some cheesy horror film:tongue:

Wish I could do that, half the walls in this house feel like they're made of cardboard

18. chrischar

chrischar IncGamers Member

I really don't like this,I've made one huge trade with jantia,
    I'm losing Earthshifter,SoJ,33 Vipermagi,Trang's Belt,2 Fungal.
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showpost.php?p=4748152&postcount=189
    3 major losses for me now.Monsinour,CoS,and Jantia

I don't know the situation in your RL jantia,so I won't judge you negative.
    Maybe the situation for you was getting really bad,and you needed this ban,
    but couldn't you just find another way?

19. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Hey, everyone.

I'm still processing this, so it may take a little time to figure out the impact here. For the moment, if you received items from jantia recently, pull them out and quarantine them. If you got items that we now know are duped/hacked, delete them.

It would probably be a good idea to start going through trade histories to track down your trades with jantia. Pull out those items into quarantine, as well as anything you feel may have been impacted.

I think that the best plan of attack right now is for Hrus and I to look into the matter, and make a determination about how far back this goes. While we are doing that, all that is needed is to quarantine the items. Hopefully, we can avoid a huge amount of deletions.

20. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

Is d2 really that addictive that one can't quit without being banned? I found WoW a lot more addictive, and I simply put it down one day and never looked back...

I guess I'll never understand how people have so much trouble quitting things :badteeth:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.