Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quit out times

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thyiad, May 6, 2008.

1. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Quit out times

I've started running an Act5 SU for the Pentathon (not awake enough for Baal) and the time between hitting save and exit and the actual screen ready to re-load is quite noticeable.

I've tried the way I normally play (with disk in drive) and also having it mounted as an ISO but an average quit time is still 6-10 seconds. (10 for ISO, six for disk in drive.)

I've rebooted the computer and tried to get rid of as many background processes as possible. I'm still looking 5-8 seconds.

Is this normal and I haven't noticed before or am I missing something. No I won't run windowed as I can't see what is going on on the screen (I did try it for a few runs but it didn't seem to improve matters).

Thoughts? Laughter?

Thanks

2. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

Re: Quit out times

Run in windowed. Try a wrapper.

Also, Haw haw :)

3. erimatbrad

erimatbrad IncGamers Member

Running Full-screen, that pretty fairly matches up with my experience on S&E and relaunch, though I've never actually timed it.

4. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Bah. Go grab a computer, or rather, the prehistoric box of monolithic dimensions and materials they dared to call such two decades ago, and boot a game up. Any game.

Then compare load times. 6-10 seconds? Slow? Blegh.

As for the rest, no idea. Do u use vista?

5. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Try taking the disc out after D2 starts, you don't need it any more

*Laughs in a manner that doesn't require a ban*

Also what are you running in the background?

6. Thyiad

No I wouldn't touch Vista with an eight foot barge pole.

Yes, I recall long load times ... my first computer was a C64 with TAPE deck. *start loading* *make three course meal* *return*

The machine is decent 2gig RAM 2.8mhz. I was comparing and contrasting with the dual core next to it and at one point the DC loaded slower but quit quicker. Then *somehow* they were both exiting at roughly the same speed. Now the first machine is back to it's snail like previous performance.

It does seem quicker providing I don't go out of town, but that doesn't really help. I just wondered what an average exit time was for everyone else. Because this seems very slow but I can't identify why.

EDIT: Not running anything in the background. Closed two browswers, avg, etc. Just rebooted and ran ccleaner too.

7. xduckster

xduckster IncGamers Member

Do you run with rrm/rwm on? From my experience that makes the game take a few seconds longer to load. Normally I play with rrm/rwm but when I pindle or meph run I use my vanilla shortcut to speed up the runs.

I think running in -ns makes the game start up faster, but I don't recommend it. It is way to useful to hear what's dropping.

8. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

<- Vista user who thinks it's fine.

Anyway, the 2.8 MHz would definitely explain it. hehe. Ahem. Virus/spyware/malware scan/check/whatever? If nothing else, the machine could just be too hot or old. My laptop is about the same: DC, 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHz, but takes only ~3 seconds between [escape key for save and exit] and [new game up and running].

Run Environment: No CD, RRM/RWM, and windowed with sound. MANY other processes (MS Word, ATMA, Firefox, Trillian, Media Player Classic, and occasionally even Warcraft III).

9. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

Beaten, but still have to mock the 2 megaHerzes :p

It might have something to do with dd/openGL, try switching modes in diablo setup (not the ingame one) and see if it changes the times.

10. Thyiad

Am I getting my gig and Mhz mixed up again? *checks system control* Oh yes I am.

Right: 2.8Ghz, p4, 2 Gig Ram. Blah blah.

It seems to be about 3 secs if I don't move out of town. Oddly it seems a longer time I kill Thresh than Pindle. Hmm.

*goes to play with GL thing*

11. kanonfutter

kanonfutter IncGamers Member

You probably know this already, but the game is somewhat faster in 2d mode instead of 3d. I wouldn't be surprised if that went for loading times as well.

12. scottee

scottee IncGamers Member

I've a similar comp to yours, Thy, and I also have noticed something along the lines of what you're experiencing. When I LK run, it's about 3 secs between hitting quit and new game up. However, when I run Countess, it takes 5-7 secs just to quit. I'll pay attention next time I do some Pindle runs, see if it's similar there. I run full-screen (cuz windowed mode is horrible when running 1280x1024), 2d, rrm.

13. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Thy, as useless as my information always is ;).

When I used to run pindle like a madman I always found the same thing, although I also found an odd little tidbit.

Everytime I did a run in say under 25 seconds I would notice that there would be a much longer save and exit time than say if I did a run 30 seconds +, to be honest it almost seemed as if when I finished a run too fast, the computer would have to wait before it would let the game exit, kind of like there was a 30 sec minimum game time or something.

I dunno, I know it doesn't really help your situation in the slightest but I thought I would share my personal experience :wink:. Hopefully you can figure out a way around it, but do remember that Diablo II was programmed not so recently and that it isn't the most efficiently programmed game. To this day I still experience lag on occasion, even running a 3.2 ghz dual core 'pimp arse' system. :grin:

... but I digress, in any case good luck Thy

Joosh :thumbsup:

14. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

@scottee: I experienced that when I ran the countess, I found that if you waited til her death animation ended (the fog) it was much quicker

also, can you beam me up plz:wink3:

EDIT: go kill a boss pack,I got a lightsabre that way

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  15. scottee

scottee IncGamers Member

Yeah, but waiting for that to end still takes longer than giving up the extra 4ish seconds.

Also: *aims disintegration ray* Sure, I'll "beam you up." This won't hurt a bit...

;)

16. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

That's true, otherwise, the game must kill all the monsters instead of you, which takes some time, esp. on Hell difficulty - you can't let all those demons roam about your RAM devouring other programs :hide:

In all seriousness, if you leave in the middle of "action", the exiting clearly takes much longer than when you kill everything first and exit afterwards. Maybe the game uses some other means for memory deallocation (some sort of garbage collector :scratch: ) upon exit.

Playing in windowed mode generally decreases re-start delays and pays off greatly for MF-runs. I would never go back, since I always check the item mods with my ATMA stashes hoping for better roll :tongue: Constant Alt-tabbing used to annoy me greatly, when I looked for something on the forums, answered ICQ etc.

17. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

I've grown accustomed to varying "quit" times in D2. As far as I can tell, it seems worse after longer sessions. Or short sessions in which lots of ground is covered*. Based on those two observations, I'm guessing the delay is proportional to the amount of stuff spawned.

*) I took a sorc into A5 Hell. If I S&E immediately, without even moving, it takes about 2-3 seconds. Walking around town or 1-2 yards into the foothills doesn't make much of a difference. But when I teleport through the foothills until I reach Eldritch the quit time becomes 5-6 seconds.

18. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

When you hit the exit button it saves your character. If it has read something from the harddrive since it last saved your character the platens would most likely have spun to a different location. Depending on how far away the save sector for your character is, it would be quite different amounts of time to save him/her, could it not?

Also, I suspect (hope) that when you exit, it "empties" and re-allocates all the RAM it has used so that other programs can use it. Depending on how much RAM it's filled with junk could mean different lengths of time to complete this task. Some RAM is also faster then others, depending on the type, and also the type of Motherboard it is plugged into which could explain the differences between one computer and another.

There could be bad RAM too, and of course spyware, viruses, and god knows what other malicious crap...

-hps

19. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

Arrrghghghghh.

Your hard drive theory is horrendous and the RAM idea is nuts.

20. Gorgrims

Gorgrims IncGamers Member

Disc defrag with a good program helped me. It cut the waiting time down so much that it was pretty noticeable. Ofcourse everything on the computer also went slightly faster. It can help lots depending on your comps condition, i guess.

My pindleskin exit times are only 2-3 second's atm. From pressing exit and save to arriving outside with the menu. And i'm running a 4 year old PC with one crappy vid card. Although, I'm not sure if you did or didn't set your graphic settings to 2d while playing, im pretty sure when It wasnt on 2d It lagged up everything pretty bad.