Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quick Summoner blocking question

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by atmosphere, Jun 15, 2005.

1. atmosphere

atmosphere IncGamers Member

Quick Summoner blocking question

I've started a single player fishymancer following Nightfish's guide.

I'm playing him completely untwinked, so what I wonder is, how important is blocking on this char?
    I know it's a good investment and gives much better survivability, but seeing as I most likely won't find a very good shield anytime soon, maybe those statpoints are better spent in vitality?

Thanks

atmo

2. Dancolen

Dancolen IncGamers Member

20 CE
    20 RS
    20 SM
    1 into gumby, GM, SR

1 into all curses
    1 into teeth, BA, BW, BP(mistake), BS, BS.

Thats my 77 nec in hell act 4.
    Blocking hasnt been needed hardly at all.
    Ive messed his skill points up tho, so im just gonna get 18ish into mages maybe 20 but doubt ill lvl that high and that will be it for him.

Ive died maybe 10 times, all due to my stupidity. Ive come awful close, but havent died to Gloams yet.

650ish life and rising.
    800 mana and never runs out for too long.

110 str
    160 vit
    160 energy
    That may be after mods... cant remember.. on the vit/energy.
    Yes I know I put too much into energy.

So far his only slow times were Ghosts in Arcane Hell.
    And hes really never had to block at all, not sure if you can block lightning, but otherwise its not needed. The only thing that gets through my Great Wall of Bone is an occasional undead stygian doll rarely.

3. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

You can't block lightning, dealing with gloams for skelemancers involves either good golem placement or use of dim vision and/or attract

4. atmosphere

atmosphere IncGamers Member

Ok, that was pretty much what I figured myself. That skellies should be protection enough.

Thanks for the help!

atmo

5. The Wikt

The Wikt IncGamers Member

Blocking is entirely irrevelant.

You should put no points in Dex at all. That's more Vit you can get.

6. DevilsWrath

DevilsWrath IncGamers Member

I agree with the other guys, If played right you shouldnt need blocking at all, not even in pvp. At least not with a summoner. The skellies provide a great shield as you can stand back and laugh or shoot spirits as I like to do. More vita is always a plus. Another thing to help your char is a cta, if u dont already have one. Even though you're seemingly pvm, you can still bo, yourself and your skellies to give them more life/and more dmg from battle command. Your life seemed kinda low, thats why I through in the info about the cta. Also, summon gcs and anni can help a ton. But if you cant get your hands on em, then dont worry about it cause it looks like you're doing fine. Following the build my old summon/bone, which i am resurrecting for pvp, solo'ed hell with no sweat and was a force to behold in pvp. I dont know if i wouldve put so much into energy though, unless thats what ur nrg is with gear on. But good job on the necro!

7. HafidzMD

HafidzMD IncGamers Member

This is from my experience.

I always find that blockin is better than having more life. U never know when u will be surrounded, and when u do, thats when the blocking comes in.

I leveled a necro to 97 with pure vit (o in other stats) and I left him and made myself a new one. He seems to get into troubles quickly if he teled into a bad situation. (even if u dont have enigma, since u mentioned untwinked, u never know when suddenly all ur skeles go attacking one monster leaving u surrounded).

Also, if u really look into it, 75% is like blocking 3/4 of the dmg. and it helps when the dmg comes from 10 different sources at one time.

my 2 cents

8. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Actually having 75% blocking won't stop 3/4 of the damage. It will only stop 3/4 of the non-piercing melee damage. Most people with a Summoner have trouble with elemental attacks.

9. HafidzMD

hehe, it has to be accurately typed i guess.

Maybe it depends on gears since I dont find elemental dmg big problems. (sometimes a pack of golems with champions hurt but usually its fine).

I always have problems with oblivion knights, death lords and dolls and since there pretty much nothin I can do with dolls, getting 75% block is my next best option. I tele alot and its easy for humans to make errors and teled into these monsters.

Altho, I strongly suggest max block. U only lose around 200 life (around extra 100 dex). for a great blocking opportunity :). Ive seen alot of ppl dying to pindle undeads while im raising the skellys, but its very unlikely for them to hit me. (dont know why ppl like to follow me raising the skellys. hmmm)

10. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

This doesn't apply to untwinked players (unless you are lucky, of course), but my bonearmor replaces blocking in all those situations where it could be useful my essentially absorbing 100% of the physical damage that comes my way.

I played without bone armor for a long time, though --- not wearing Marrowwalks is no reason to invest in dex, IMHO.

There are no times where I miss blocking. There are times where I wish I had even more vitality --- occasionally stray black soul bolts get me down to pretty low health. With 200 or so (I have no idea...) points invested in dex instead of vitality this would be a death screen.

But of course, I don't tele around. There's only the portal-quadrant in Arcane Sanctuary, and I usually try to get monsters away from the portal exit before using it, or at least slow them down with Gumby and maybe even decrep it (although I don't usually go that far, since I have bonearmor) --- doesn't have to be far away, since ALL your minions will appear in the SAME location as you, and if they can move just a bit towards the monsters you are already safe. Besides, with all your minions stacked on top of you, they all tend to hit the same monster --- lots of damage, quick killing.

11. HafidzMD

From experience, its not everytime I tele that skeles will be on top of me, there are times when I actually on top of them and I take all the dmg. (if skeles will always be on top, I should be worry about physical dmg at all, since they have to get through 15k of meat shield to get through me).

And, this brings into second discussion, if u teled into a pack of monsters, it would take those skellys along time to clear (they dont all attack the same monster). so its more like 2skellyes vs 1 monster at any given time, and skellys attack really slow (im beginnin to feel that skellys are there just for meat shield).

That being said, they do attack, slowly, over time. and it is during this time, that I dont like getting hit, coz then I will be in FHR mode and BAM!

I might be wrong and it might be my style of play but this is what I usually encounter from my experience.

12. Dancolen

Yall confusing me with the topic creator....

I just gave my stats and where I was and how easy it was.

For a Summon based necro even untwinked, playing /players 1 in hell.. it should be absolutely no problem with 20RS/20SM, a +2 necro skills wand bought from a store, and maybe 5 in CE or 10.

Rest is gravy after putting points into one point wonders.
    Lvl 3 stuff is pretty good for SResist and curses, may want to do SResist to 2 or 3 since youll have no items... despite what people geared in +15 skill gear say when someone asks about a Pure Summoning necro that will not have those items.

Blocking is completely irrelevant and I cant think of somewhere it would be revelevant besides Undead Sygian Dolls and possibly cows if you have low amount of minions on say a poison or Bone build.

Resists and life are far more important in PVM untwinked for a summoner.

Teleporting around, yes, you will need max blocking, period, everyone should know that. However, except for Undead Stygian dolls, which still rarely get through, I am never in a situation where I am in any danger...

If more monsters come from behind, its decryp and throw gumby at them. Im a very thorough clearer, and dont like to get attacked except from one side. I guess thats my play style, but for what I do, I dont need blocking at all.
    If I teleed everywhere, Id be surrounded all the time, I dont like that. Im a slow crawling unstoppable juggernaut necromancer, not a teleporting strike force. :)

No offense to anyone who likes max blocking, but my opinion is it has no use in the untwinked regular play of a summoner. Even twinked, unless you have tele I still dont think it has use.

Teleporters and PVPers, yea, it has immense use... and id gladly put 200 in if I was teleing around or was going PVP. But for PvM without tele... that 200 is in vit.

13. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

Teleporting around, yes, you will need max blocking, period, everyone should know that. However, except for Undead Stygian dolls, which still rarely get through, I am never in a situation where I am in any danger...

Just a little nit..not everyone knows if you tele you need max block. You can't assume because you know something, everyone else should also know it..Other than that, it was a well thought out reply. :)

14. Dancolen

true, sorry