Quick questions before I screw up

YouHaveMail

Diabloii.Net Member
Quick questions before I screw up

On the 37 Eth Yari Barb I'm assuming this is it.
Eth Yari with 3x Shaels
Guillaiesekajmes' helm. Socketed with max?
Artisan's armor of the Whale socketed with....

Now is ED/Max bugged in armor? That's what I heard. If it is what should I use that's better?
Now no clue on the rest of the gear. Angelics + Ik's? Iunno. Help me out please.
Skills Max WW, and Wpn mastery?

Stimm

Diabloii.Net Member
Not sure on ww BP on yari

Yes max helm

Yes ed/max is bugged

Rest of gear Id go angelics and maybe some Ik

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
A WW Barb doesn't get much %ed from skills at that lvl, so ed joolz might be better. Often times you actually achieve optimal damage by using a combination of ed and max jewels. You'd really have to run some calcs on it. Generally, high skill ed and low weapon damage are enhanced most by max jewels while low skill ed and high weapon damage are enhanced most by ed jewels. It also depends on what kind of jewels you have access to (restricted by wealth and lvl req) and what charms you plan to use (+max vs +life). Just as a guess, since you're lvl 37 and can use jewels either with up to 30%ed or about 15max, and your weapon has some nice damage on it already, I'd expect ed jewels to help you most... just a guess.

I'd highly suggest doing some research and getting out the calculator. It may seem tedious the first time, but from then on it's easy and straight-forward for any physical damage build aside from maybe a Kicksin. Serious PvPers (Nightshade and Aaron that I know of, now, Baranor back when he played) do this all the time for a reason. I remember doubleOObubble even used calculus to come up with a generic equation that found exactly what combination of jewels would max out your potential damage. It wasn't very complicated, just a new way of thinking about things.

For skills: max BO; max WW; 1 in all the usual suspects, maybe even Berserk for people wearing Shaft/String; rest in Mastery.

Gear would be as Stimm said, but consider Bloodfist, String, and Waterwalks also. IK would put your str way higher than it needs to be, but that's just extra damage (not much, mind you). IK would also give some welcome resists and AR. It's almost a toss-up, so just use whatever you already have.

AzaZaz

Diabloii.Net Member
PhatTrumpet said:
Gear would be as Stimm said, but consider Bloodfist, String, and Waterwalks also. IK would put your str way higher than it needs to be, but that's just extra damage (not much, mind you). IK would also give some welcome resists and AR. It's almost a toss-up, so just use whatever you already have.

right, theres no point investing 110 str for iks if its only going to send you over the top anyways. Bfist are always nice, and I cant think of a mid lvl dueler I wouldn't use waterwalks on :)

Matt

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
AzaZaz said:
right, theres no point investing 110 str for iks if its only going to send you over the top anyways. Bfist are always nice, and I cant think of a mid lvl dueler I wouldn't use waterwalks on :)
Well, keep in mind that on a barb, 1str=1%ed, so 20 str more than you need is not 20 strength wasted, its equivelant to 20% ed. However, the issue is then could your gloves be used in some better way (for example, is 110 str for ik gloves more than you would need if you used a different glove, like bloodfists, in which case you have more points to spend in vit)

I would probably lean towards the IK's myself, 40 stats is VERY nice (like I said, even if you dont need 130 str, its just extra ED..), and 20 dex is essentially 20 extra vit, as it will help with blocking.

Boots are tricky... I personally am a huge fan on IK boots, I like mobility on my characters. If you're skilled with whirling, r/w will help immensely, as its very important to be in the right spot at the right time. In addition, the defense is not bad, the resists are nice, and the AR set bonus is pretty nice as well (and with IK gloves, you will have enough str as is)

Now, waterwalks are very nice too... 15 dex and ~60 life is awesome, its up to you...

-Matt

AzaZaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Matt said:
I would probably lean towards the IK's myself, 40 stats is VERY nice (like I said, even if you dont need 130 str, its just extra ED..), and 20 dex is essentially 20 extra vit, as it will help with blocking.

-Matt
ruh roh, busted.

40 extra stats are very nice. however 20 dex is not 20 vit because there is no blocking on a yari barb. 20 dex is a wasted 20 dex, that will not make up for vit.

so its 20 more str, 20% ed or 40 life/hit recover from bloodfist :)

...Check...Your move ;)

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sure you guys haven't, but let's not forget the resists and 25 str on the belt, along with the ridiculous partial set bonuses: tons of defense, 25% FHR, 25%ias (somewhat moot), +2 Combat Skills, AR, etc. The only thing Bloodfists alone win on is the extra 5% FHR and +5 min dmg. Of course, there are situations in which SoE is much preferred, and in those cases you might as well ditch the IK for Bfists.

So I guess IK Boots can stay because of the FRW, AR, and life, but you'd probably want to switch IK gloves/belt for Bfist/String depending on the situation.

Matt

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
AzaZaz said:
ruh roh, busted.

40 extra stats are very nice. however 20 dex is not 20 vit because there is no blocking on a yari barb. 20 dex is a wasted 20 dex, that will not make up for vit.

so its 20 more str, 20% ed or 40 life/hit recover from bloodfist :)

...Check...Your move ;)
Haha, good call. THIS is what happens when Matt doesnt play for over a month... I say ridiculously stupid things. Good call Aaron. Now, I kinda want to play again, somewhat... but now D2 doesnt even WORK, so we'll see about that one...

-Matt

AzaZaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Well figure it out already!

Trish is like "oh where oh where has matt been"

and i'm like "i dunno!! :'(((("

Took down 2 chickens, a pk and 3 duels last 2 days, on a good little run.

Theres a group of 3x duelers that wont duel my 38 or 35 you need to make something and beat them!

Matt

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
AzaZaz said:
Well figure it out already!

Trish is like "oh where oh where has matt been"

and i'm like "i dunno!! :'(((("

Took down 2 chickens, a pk and 3 duels last 2 days, on a good little run.

Theres a group of 3x duelers that wont duel my 38 or 35 you need to make something and beat them!
Haha, nice conversation re-enactment ;)

I would love to make a 30's dueler... any dueler actually, except theres 2 problems:
first and foremost, D2 refuses to work. My computer as a whole is kinda messed up these days, its not just d2, but a couple things just DONT open, reinstalling doesnt fix it... its the computer itself.

Secondly, when I do get it to work, I will, at most, have a mf sorc, which I already promised to a friend... all my stuff will be gone. I'm gonna have to go the cheap route... but hey, nothin wrong with that!

-Matt

AzaZaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Matt said:
Haha, nice conversation re-enactment ;)

I would love to make a 30's dueler... any dueler actually, except theres 2 problems:
first and foremost, D2 refuses to work. My computer as a whole is kinda messed up these days, its not just d2, but a couple things just DONT open, reinstalling doesnt fix it... its the computer itself.

Secondly, when I do get it to work, I will, at most, have a mf sorc, which I already promised to a friend... all my stuff will be gone. I'm gonna have to go the cheap route... but hey, nothin wrong with that!

-Matt
i've got some lld stuff you can always use...couple loot duels and you're back in business

Matt

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
AzaZaz said:
i've got some lld stuff you can always use...couple loot duels and you're back in business
'ppriciate it, but I still gotta work on problem #1 :(