Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quick Question: Does Damage Reduction % affect elemental attacks?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Bulgarian, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Bulgarian

Bulgarian Banned

Quick Question: Does Damage Reduction % affect elemental attacks?

this is a verification

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

No, it affects physical damage only. To reduce elemental damage, you would need to look for resists.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Absolutely not.

Or absorb, either numerical or better yet percentage-wise.

And then there's magic damage, there's bugger all you can do about that.

4. Bulgarian

Bulgarian Banned

wow, this whole time ive thought it does -.-

5. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Damage Reduced by * = Physical per-frame damage reduction.
    Damage Reduced by *% = Physical Resistance +*%.
    Magic Damage Reduced by * = Magic and elemental (fire, cold, lightning) per-frame damage reduction.

Absorbs are different, but similar in per-frame and percentage. For the full damage reduction procedures, check the Statistics FAQ. In general, because of transudial damage, both lightning and physical resistance/per-frame (magic/physical) would be needed against Willowisps to negate their ranged attack.

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Willowisps don't do physical dmg with their ranged attack, it's just ~200 - ~300 pure lightning dmg per streak. That's for normal ones though, the special ones (champion/unique/minion) get extra dmg, but never physical.

7. psych

psych IncGamers Member

Magic damage reduced by x
    Absorbs magical damage by x (spirit, oath for example)
    Magic damage reduced by x% (safety shield)

8. Ax2Grind

Rtb?

We've been through this, and I thought you - of all people - would've known. When hit with lightning attacks by a Willowisp (or Burning Soul, or Black Soul, or etc) you take any other form of damage they're enchanted with, such as cold and fire. This is because of the transudial effect Blizzard either accidentally put in, or intentionally inserted to make the game more difficult. When cursed by Amplify Damage, their ranged attack is far more damaging, and this can only be explained if the physical attack damage from their non-ranged attack is treated like fire/cold/etc enchantment, i.e. physical transudial damage. You know, the bug we all discussed for the last however-many years?

It happens with Tomb Vipers in Halls of Vaught, and I have absolute proof. Just recently I was down there hunting keys during public trade games, hit the urn that holds the unique, and my mercenary triggered the boss's Amp. I took one step into their poison attack and died instantly, because their poison attack includes transudial damage of their physical attack, and since that's per-frame (poison clouds continue to poison you if you stand in them) the physical took me down while Amped in a quarter-second, flat - not even long enough to hit a full rejuvenation potion, as my belt was completely full, save the emergency scroll. Keep in mind I had 49% physical resistance, 55% poison resistance, some per-frame physical, but not much.

Now, you can tell me all you want that physical can't be transudial, but explain that to the people doing Baal runs constantly who've been Amped the moment they use the WSKL2 waypoint by a unique wisp sitting just across the bridge and died virtually instantly even though they have 75% lightning resistance, absorbs, Energy Shield, Cyclone Armor and everything else: the Amp magnifies the damage, so physical must be transudial - unless you have another explanation you haven't shared with us for the past four years.

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I've never heard the word "transudial" before. Apparently it means oozing through interstices, like "osmotic".

Yeah, I forgot about safety shields. Magic damage reduced is a joke these days though. Magic absorb isn't much better - it sure as hell wouldn't save you from a Bone Spirit.

10. Evrae Altana

Nor from some crazy hammer from a hammerdin. :azn:

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Does magic damage reduced or magic resist work on Hammers? I heard that Magic Immune monsters aren't immune to Hammers.

12. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

I've never heard of it working on hammers

Also iirc the numbers are small in magic absorb so it's not worth it.

There is only one monster in the game immune to hammers and thats wailling beasts iirc

13. Evrae Altana

Hammer deals pure magic damage right? So magic resists/absorb should work for them, although as aman said, the absorb number is so small you might not even bother.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

They supposedly deal magic damage, but there's something screwy if it doesn't get nullified by Magic Immunity. I think it's a bug.

15. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

Hammers completely ignore resistances and immunities on Undead and Demon type monsters, leaving only those Wailing Beasts in the Act 3 temples immune to them. It's not a bug, just overpowered. A lot.

16. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

Complement that baby with a 95% es and we've got something going on.

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Oh, that's right.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Hammerdins were overpowered, so they nerfed them into oblivion. Then everyone complained that they were useless, and they brought them back even more overpowered than before. What the hell?

18. Evrae Altana

Come on now. This is Blizzard we're talking about. What, did you expect sensibleness? :point:

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

What's really annoying is that most of the balance issues could be resolved with very small changes (not to mention the damn bugs). But instead 1.11 just gave us more annoying poorly balanced content for the rich bastards.

20. Ax2Grind

Really?

I believe I've used that word whenever referring to this issue, as the pure non-specific definition I read somewhere was 'to pass through by means of another,' in this case meaning to take fire/cold/physical/etc. damage through the lightning attack.