Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quick Question about ilvls

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Delybrio, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Delybrio

Delybrio IncGamers Member

Quick Question about ilvls

Is the Ilvl of an item determined by the mlvl of the monster who drops it, or the area level?. If this is the case, can anyone direct me to the best place to fine ilvl 8 jewels?

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

The ilvl is determined by the monster that drops it.

However... are you looking for ilvl 8 jewels, or jewels with a required level of 8? If you want Ilvl 8 jewels, try Normal. If you want required level 8 jewels, try anywhere you can kill quickly.

3. Greedy_son

Greedy_son Banned

its the mlvl that determines the drop of the jewel

4. labyrinth

labyrinth IncGamers Member

What do Blizzard's numbers mean?

I had the same question a while back and Jarulf answered my post thoroughly. It's a pity that one was taken down...

Anyway, ilvl = monsterlevel(mlvl), and mlvl = map lvl, +1 for champions and +2 for uniques (I may be wrong on the exact numbers there). To make things more confusing, there is a quality level (qlvl), on gold and green items. Any monster can drop a ring, but to drop a wisp projector (qlvl=84), the mlvl has to be 84 or better. So to get a jewel with ilvl8, go to the Black Marsh or the Monastery gate for the best chances (info from http://home.t-online.de/home/320071388834-0001/games/D2X_110_MF_Guide_ENG.htm about halfway down)

I have a question too. On the Arreat Summit, the Prefixes/suffixes page lists little numbers in parentheses next to items that can have the mod in question (e.g. chromatic... shield(50)). However, I'm thinking this must be different from the ilvl of the item (since an sword of ilvl=70 could have mod that is only (8) on the chart). Also, this number is not the minimum ilvl needed on an item to get that affix, because a grand charm of Vita with 46-50 life has (110) as the number listed. Even with a lvl 99 char, IF one could gamble charms, one could only get ilvl=105. So either this number is different from the minimum ilvl required, or it is impossible to get a grand charm of Vita. At the same time, I realize that you have much more possibilities of mods on a grand charm dropped in the hell pit (ilv90) than a grand charm dropped in normal blood moor.

So simply put, my question is, "Just what are those numbers listed on Blizzard's prefix/suffix page?"

5. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Labyrinth, one amendment to your first paragraph which is mostly correct, mlvl = area level only in NM and Hell. In Normal, monster keep their mlvls assigned in the game data files. I'm not aware of anywhere online that lists those, I'm afraid. It is unusual to want an item with a specific level that low though.

To answer your question though, the parenthesed values on the Prefix/Suffix pages are alvls or affix levels. As they are (a) often wrong and (b) not necessarily updated for 1.10 and (c) alvls aren't explained there at all, it does indeed elude me why they went to the trouble :)

You can probably find a more comprehensive explanation of alvls elsewhere on this forum, but for the exact answer I like this page:
    http://www.diabloii.nu/affixcalc/alvlcalc.html

Basically an item's alvl is worked out from its ilvl, for low-mid level items it will be ilvl - (qlvl/2) where qlvl is the qlvl of the base item (can be looked up on d2data.net). For high level items it changes to ilvl*2 - 99. But to understand it precisely you need ot follow the code in that link.

Oh, and the top Vita suffix is indeed impossible. No matter how many people tell you otherwise :) The highest alvl an item can have is 99.

6. labyrinth

Wow, Thrugg,

that answers a bunch--thx.

7. labyrinth

Hey I was looking on d2data.net at the dclone stats, and he is mlvl 110 on all difficulties. On hell he always drops anni, but on norm and nm, he can drop all kinds of other stuff including gcs. This would mean that the 46-50 Vita gc IS possible, though even rarer than the annihilus (the annihilus is 100% chance in hell, but gc is only about .1% in nm and norm!

8. Jarulf

Jarulf IncGamers Member

The item level set to equal the monster's level is caped at 99, so even if the monster would be of level one million, it would be set to no more than 99.

9. labyrinth

Boo! That's no fun. Oh well.