Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

quick question about dex for max block

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by FeeblerMonkey, Mar 8, 2004.

1. FeeblerMonkey

FeeblerMonkey IncGamers Member

quick question about dex for max block

used some calc to figure it, just wanted to see if it was right, and also if its worth it. In the process of making a blizz sorc for mfing. Using a storm shield, which is 67% block for sorc, at lvl 99, i would need 236 dex. thats presuming that i ever get a ss and i ever reach 99, but we'll just pretend. Is it worth putting that many points into dex to get the max block. from what i've heard that is the best shield, would there be something better for me? think i should just dump the points into vit or what? thank you ahead of time for any tips or suggestions.

2. Drukqs

Drukqs IncGamers Member

You've already wasted points in Str getting it up to 156 so that you can use a Stormshield, you don't need to waste more in dex to get max block.

Unless you'll be using a 4 *Isted Monarch then i would of gone for an Umed/P.D Lidless or even an Whistan's Guard. The points you'd of used putting into str could of gone into Vit or if needed Energy.

-Drukqs-

3. FeeblerMonkey

thats why i was asking, i haven't spent the points yet. this is my first sorc, so didn't wanna mess her up. I'm level 77 now and have 230 unspent stat points.....im just a wee bit indecisive. So what shield would you recoment then, and I haven't played in a long time, so i dont know all the abreviations and stuff and what the good equipment is. i had just heard that ss was the best shield. so the Umed...whatever that is, and the lidless are what you would recomend? and would you put in the dex to get those to max block or just leave dex at base? also i read that you shouldn't put any points into energy at all, so far i've been sucking down mana potions like crazy, cause i have crap for gear. Thanx in advance for the advise, like i said this is my first sorc, and i really dont want to mess her up.

4. FeeblerMonkey

anyone? really dont wanna mess up so waiting till i figure this out before i use my stat points, so till then i die pretty much instantly

5. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

6. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

For me (and I have it) the best choice is Sanctuary rune word with 3 socket shield (Ko + Ko + Mal). Found a Blade Barrier and I got a:

Level Requirement:51
    Strength Req: 118

~380 Defense
    +20% Faster Hit Recovery
    +20% Faster Block Rate
    60% Chance of Blocking (for sorc)
    +250 Defense vs. Missile
    +20 To Dexterity
    All Resistances 63
    Magic Damage Reduced By 7
    Level 12 Slow Missiles (60 Charges)

It is a light shield (great for stamina), it boosts your chance of blocking with his +20 dex, adds FHR that is very important during teleportings (IMO), huge defense, resistance varies (u have to be lucky), not much strenght (boost it with modifiers on other items)

Second best is Moser's Blessed circle (with 2 perfect diamonds or UM's if you are rich)

My level 87 Frozen Orb_Meteor sorc has base defense ~2600 but with my act 2 defiance merc it goes above 8000 (this is IMO great defense for casters in Hell). 75% chance of blocking (~ 240 dex total) and 86% Fast hit recovery (for me very very important modifier for a tele sorc). My merc has ~12000 defense with his aura and we barely die. She has 780 mana with the base energy (0 put on energy)

I think max blocking is very important for this bulid, BUT for a fireball or any other mana use spell .....

7. FeeblerMonkey

alrighty, thanx for the help

8. Jerkazoid

Jerkazoid IncGamers Member

recomend a grim shield for rune words.

light, the str req is 55! the def can go from 50 to 151

its max def is pretty much as a good Trolls nest or blade barrier btw.
    (20 less at most)

the grim has the same blocking as the blade barrier or trolls nest as well. base 40% drui/nec/sorc