Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quick PVM Sorc build question.

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Erlend, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Erlend

Erlend IncGamers Member

Quick PVM Sorc build question.

I am looking into finally starting my own Sorc for PVM solo purposes only. I was wondering if I would be better off with a meteorb or a blizz sorc. I plan to get her to matriarc asap and then work on farming gear for other chars. Just wondering who is the "better" killer.

Thanks
    ~E

2. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

Re: Quick PVM Sorc build question.

Meteorb is more all-round and can handle any situation. Blizzard sorcs are limited because they can't handle cold immunes. But they can be very effective as MF character (i.e. against Hell Mephisto).

So I suggest that if she's for MF go with the Blizz sorc. If you want to use her for multiple purposes go with the Meteorb.

3. Erlend

Erlend IncGamers Member

I mostly just run a loop consisting of Pindle, Shenk, Rectifier and then Baal at the end. My "main" char is a lv ** fishy with decent gear, but I am getting tired of sitting behind my minions all the time.

Would I be right in stating that Meteorbs are better at area clears like AT, Pits and the likes, while Blizz sorcs would be better at straight boss runs or?

In your oppinion... which one is just plain more fun? I have a low level hammerdin that I have had some real o_O moments with and would like to recreate a similar feeling with a sorc.

Thanks for the reply btw :)

4. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Well, a Meteorb is naturally more versatile than a Blizz sorc. But a Blizz sorc is way more flexible when it comes to equipment and it's much easier to pile up devastating damage on a Blizz sorc than on a Meteorb.

Imo, such a sorc is awesome at running Meph, Andy, cows and AT (esp rocks in 8p games, I think a meteorb will be slow as hell at clearing this when gear on both types of sorcs is comparable).

The Meteorb will be more suitable for keyrunning. For pure mf, IMO it's very hard to beat a nice Blizz sorc with a good amount of MF. The killing speed of a synergized Blizzard just makes it that much more enjoyable.

Then there's the factor of aesthetics, too. A meteorb will be best off with Tal's set. While I admire Tal's power, I despise it looks. A pure blizz sorc will be better off with nice uniques, so you can make combinations with vipermagi, skullders, chance guards, goldwrap or even snowclash, occulus, etc. There's a lot more flexiblity and experimenting to be found here, imo.

Both sorcs can be good to you but I always regret having split up skill trees. I've tried a Meteorb before and I ended up disliking it. I've also tried CL/FO and I hated that one even more. The Blizz sorc I just enjoyed from the moment she entered Hell, to be honest. I liked how even Ice Bolt was able to easily kill stuff, for instance. Generally, I don't like to versatily > pure power. But ye, decide for yourself what's more fun, there's a matter of style and taste involved in such a preference.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  5. Erlend

Erlend IncGamers Member

Blizz sorc it is :). Now... what guide should I be listening to in terms of stats and point dist. There are at least 3 guides in the stickies and a few others floating around aswell. As far as gear is concerned I will use the best of what I have lol, but there are many ways to build towards endgame stats.

6. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Stats and skills are pretty simple

Strength enough for Spirit Monarch
    Dex for hel'd wizzy or base
    Rest in vit
    None in energy

Skill points
    20 blizzard
    20 ice blast
    20 ice bolt
    then you can max either GS and ~10 in CM, or 20 CM and around ~10 in GS. I prefer the former, since synergies only work with hard points, and cold mastery works with +skills. Whatever suits you, if you run Meph or other high-resistant monsters then you should probably max CM and dump the rest in GS. And oh, of course, one in all the one point wonders (Warmth, TK, Teleport, Static Field). If you want you can get an armor, I personally don't bother with them.

7. Erlend

Erlend IncGamers Member

cool. Thanks :) I will do that

8. TitanKid

TitanKid IncGamers Member

Honestly, I do not find meteorb sorcs to be that effective. They simply just do not do enough damage, and to top it off you going to be wearing mf gear which will reduced your damage even further. If your just doing boss runs just specialize in one category... Fire or lightning kills the fastest (depends if lightning gets good hits), but cold will slow down the enemy and give you more time to manuever. However fire or cold sorcs are much easier to make and if your making a fire sorc, i have an ammy with +2 skills and about 5 magefists that you can have one of.

9. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Well, it can still be a good idea to put a lot of points in CM, because there are many cases where it is useful to decrease cold resistance beyond the typical -100 (level 17). While a lot can be said for the argument that hard points are more effectively spent on synergies than on CM, extra levels in CM are generally more effective per point than a synergy skill per point, as long as there are resistances to be decreased.

For instance, if you considered a monster with a remaining 5% cold res, 95% damage would be dealt. In this case, favoring CM over synergies would boost your total damage by ((95/100) * 100% =) 5.26%.
    If you favored synergies - 1 Synergy point nets 5% bonus damage. However, when calculating total damage * synergies, all synergy bonuses are thrown together and multiplied by skill damage (lvl). Assuming we max 3 synergies, the 5% only has a 1/third impact on your eventual synergy bonus. 5% ends up being 1.667%. Now, we won't max 3 synergies, we will more likely max 2.5. So, the 1.667 will be something more along the lines of 2.
    At any rate, as long as there is cold res to be dealt with, points in CM are more effective for Blizzard.

On a typical Blizz sorc, I like it very much to put 20 hard points into CM, just to make sure Blizzard is fully effective versus any creature that isn't cold immune. The pure (listed) damage will be nice enough with a skill as synergized as a blizz sorc's blizzard.

Some also prefer using Glacial Spike over Ice Blast (or Ice Bolt)... Whatever skill you imagine will not be used much, should be finished last. Ice Bolt it was, in my case.

I agree on the cold armor thing. It's useless. I don't have it on my light sorc and I never wish I had it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  10. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Up until level17 (including +skills) points in ColdMastery will provide more damage than points into any skill besides Blizzard itself. If monster has any natural cold resistances, even additional points in CM are more effective than the synergies.

So, for making a blizzsorc, my recommendation is to follow this progression pattern:

20 Blizzard
    ~10 Cold Mastery (definitely spend 1 point at level30)
    20 points in each blizzard synergy
    remaining points in CM
    ... with the usual 1-point-wonders along the way (Static, Teleport, Warmth)