Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quick mercenary weapom recommendation

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Xena1985, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Xena1985

Xena1985 IncGamers Member

Quick mercenary weapom recommendation

The agony of choice :)

Bonehew
    Ogre Axe
    'AmnHel'
    Two-Hand Damage: 114 to 594
    Durability: 50 of 50
    Required Dexterity: 60
    Required Strength: 156
    Required Level: 64
    Polearm Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 75
    Fingerprint: 0x6b9dc8e0
    +310% Enhanced Damage
    7% Life stolen per hit
    Requirements -20%
    30% Increased Attack Speed
    Prevent Monster Heal
    50% Chance to cast Level 16 Bone Spear on striking
    Level 14 Corpse Explosion (30/30 Charges)
    Socketed (2: 2 used)

OR

Arioc's Needle
    Hyperion Spear
    Two-Hand Damage: 162 to 557
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Dexterity: 120
    Required Strength: 155
    Required Level: 81
    Spear Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0xee160b6d
    +213% Enhanced Damage
    +393 poison damage over 10 seconds
    30% Increased Attack Speed
    Ignore Target Defense
    +4 to All Skill Levels
    50% Deadly Strike
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

on paper ariocs might look a bit better but i am not sure. Killing mephisto in hell takes more or less the same amount of time, but all my socket quests are used up so i can't get an amn in there

2. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

What's your build? I really like Ariocs on my summoner's merc, as the boost to the Might Aura helps all the skeles. Bonehew is more customizable with two open sockets, and the bonespear just looks and sounds kewl.

Taken on their own, your etheral +4 Ariocs is the better weapon, IMHO.

EDIT: If you're worried about leech on the Ariocs, slap a Tal's helm on your merc. The 10% from it should be plenty.

3. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

If it's for a Skelemancer, Ariocs is the preferred choice for me (+4 skills more important than %ed), since giving +skills to your merc is very much like giving +skills to yourself --- it raises warrior damage.

4. Xena1985

No can do on Tal's my merc is a level 87 merc with Holy Freeze aura to support my poisonmancer. He uses Skullder's Ire and Guilllans Face i cannot change the his helm because, I use this char mostly for MF nowadays and Guillans makes a HUGE diffrence. I play single player and have this really sweet map, entrance to durance level 3 is right next to the waypoint :) 10 seconds running even faster using teleport charges on Naj's weapon :) bloody expensive too. Mephisto goes down (4 players) in about 1:30 with out Guillans it is more like 3:00 the crushing blow makes all the diffrence. Can you perhaps recommend a better armor or some other way to get LL??

Edit : I even gave a Vamp Gaze would be better than Tal's and I would use it but I need the crushing blow

@ Myrakh : well now i am making a summonmancer as we speak he is already at level 22 and kicking @$$ never had an easier runthrough on normal so far Killed Andy without using any pots thx for the advice i barely noticed the +4 to skills :)

5. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Well the uniq demonhide armor Skin Of The Flayed One could spawn with up to 7% leech but guess its a trade off between mf and leech :D

6. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Hone Sudan! :-D

7. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

The Arioc's is far superior for its ITD, Deadly Strike at 50% (that's 65% with Guillaume's), and its poison effect will act like prevent heal as long as your merc keeps getting hits in. I could rush you a socket quest in no time if you're on USWest. I've been trying to find an eth one but no luck on the trade forums.

What kind of a necro are you playing?

8. Xena1985

Hone Sudan hmm I had that once but the merc's killing speed got alot faster after i got the bonehew (killing normal monsters/champions/uniques) not sure aobout bosses though

Skin of the flayed 1 :( I sold that one with a few other items for Arm of King for my current level 22 skellemancer never thought i would need it again as my bonehew has amn and hel. Nver thought I'd get this lucky with the etheral Arioc.

If only i could find an etheral hone sudan with high ED. Three Amn's in there would cover all my leeching problems

Also one more thing my method of killing mephisto is to curse him with LR get in a poison nova about 4.5k dmg then stack decrep on him for the merc. As soon as the poison wears out rinse and repeat, however i noticed using Ariocs that the mercs poison attack won't let me poison mephisto cause he is already poisoned. I can't really tell wether my poison nova is getting through because meph has alot of life and my merc is landing hits all the time some with CB, but i know i can't hear that poisoning sound that always happens when the nova hits something. my question to this is does the poison from ariocs interfere in any way with my own poison attacks ??

Edit : so far I'm still using the BoneHew because this lack of LL is completeley unacceptable but I think I'll make a pally whose sole purpose will be to kill shenk :) and I'll try to get my hands on Skin of the flayed one.

9. Pherdnut

I'm not seeing how the bonehew could be better than the Eth Arioc, but if you don't want it and are on USWest ladder I've got plenty of stuff for trade. Outside of Pride, That's a pretty ideal merc weapon for a skellimancer.

10. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You can always sneak in a quick LT if things are starting to look bad.

11. Xena1985

@ Pherdnut the Mercenary of the char in question is a POISONMANCER not a skellimancer. (I started my skellimancer 3 days ago and he is level 23 with the merc at level 14 or so) For a skellimancer the Arioc's needle is best of course for the +4 to might aura.

I would/will use my etheral Arioc's but I have 2 Concern's that just cannot be overlooked. The first is LL and to overcome this I will either spend a few days making a char for the purpose of killing shenk in normal to get an amn in there even 7% LL makes a BIG diffrence in hell. Using the Arioc's now with no LL as I mentioned earlier is unacceptable the merc dies too often.

My second and far greater concern is about the game mechanics itself. As I mentioned in my last post, when Mephisto is poisoned due to the Arioc's attack he seems not to get poisoned by my far stronger poison nova attack.
    By this I mean I don't hear the characteristic sound of a creature being poisoned. I cannot confirm this because my merc scores hits on mephisto all the time and his health drops at a pretty steady rate.

It would be great if someone could either confirm or lay to rest my suspicions
    that the ariocs poison attack "blocks" my own poison dmg damage. which is basicly asking if 2 poison attacks from diffrent sources stack on each other despite there being no visble change.

My point here is that if Arioc's poison attack prevents an enemy from being poisoned with my own poison nova, it is significantly inferior to the bonehew
    in which case I'llput it to use on my skellimancer when he hits level 81 in a few weeks/ months depending on my time

12. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

If you are playing Europe/SC/Ladder, feel free to drop me a note --- I have tons of unused socket quests, and I don't need long to rush a char to A5 :)

13. Xena1985

Unfortunatley I play single player. Is there any way I can transfer items from a single player char to a level 1 multiplayer char that u could rush to act V ??
    Open Bnet perhaps? , I got used to single player cause I had a crappy connection which I only recently upgraded to a 3mbit :)

Also could anyone please explain how my poison nova damage works/is calculated when an enemy is poisoned with a weak poison attack and i try to poison them with PN

14. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

The poison attack with the higher damage per frame is applied instead of the weaker attack. If a monster is already poisoned by an attack that does 30 damage over 300 seconds and you do a Nova that does 1000 damage over 2 seconds, your Nova will be applied to the monster.

15. Doll Call

Doll Call IncGamers Member

eth hone = best merc lvl wep ever.

16. Xena1985

@ Mad Mantis : Thanks for clearing this up :) Edit : the nova does 4.5k but I see your point :)
    @ doll call yes eth hone would be best hopefully mephisto will be kind to me in future

In this case the no LL problem will be easy to clear up and I'll have the second best merc weapon in the game ?? :)

Thanks all for all the feedback

17. Pherdnut

The best way to test it is to just let your merc poison something big and then cast Nova to see if it only lasts a couple seconds. Be sure and remove your -resist gear since that increases the duration of your nova.

18. Xena1985

I may just buy some 20 dmg stick with a bit of poison in normal with some other char ( can't go into nomal with my poisonmancer cause the mephisto map is too good to be true ) give it to the merc and use only nova to attack good idea THX :)

19. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I use a bonehew on my Venomancer...and used the A.N on summoner before making pride...and used a andy's helm with my venomancer's waheed as well.

HoS

20. Xena1985

sorry but waheed ?? whats that also why would you use bonehew over ariocs it seems superior as long as u can get past the no LL problem a spare socket quest for example