Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quick Mercenary Question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by svarn, Apr 30, 2008.

1. svarn

svarn IncGamers Member

Quick Mercenary Question

If I buy a level 14 mercenary and level him up to 20 will he be more powerful than simply buying a level 20 mercenary? In the mercenary strategy guide it mentions that a merc bought in normal difficulty will have higher stats than a merc bought in nightmare difficulty (of the same level). Is the difference between them simply a matter of the difficulty level (all nightmare mercs get a few less stat points than their normal counterparts) or is it because nightmare mercs will tend to be a higher level when you buy them (so have had less chance to level them up).

Why am I asking? I want a Nightmare Act II Might mercenary and I'm wondering whether I should rush to get him at as low level as possible or whether it won't matter if I get him at level 20 or 50.

2. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Re: Quick Mercenary Question

I had this confused for a while as well...

Mercenaries in Normal will get higher stats than mercenaries bought in Nightmare.
    Mercenaries in Nightmare will get higher stats than mercenaries bought in Hell.
    ~~ This is why people get their Prayer/Blessed Aim/Defiance mercenaries from Normal instead of Hell.

Mercenaries from the same difficulty will have the same stats at any given level regardless of their tenure.
    ~~ In other words, it doesn't matter if you get him at level 20 or level 50.

3. svarn

svarn IncGamers Member

Prompt and concise. Thank you NagisaFurukawa. :smiley:

4. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

If you're playing v1.11/v1.11b, I believe they've fixed this for base stats (strength, dexterity, life, etc). Now a given mercenary of the same type and level will have the same base stats, regardless of which difficulty they were hired in.

As far as skills, I'm not sure. I believe that the caps on aura levels for Act II mercs are dependent upon the hiring difficulty, but if this is the case, it would only matter for Normal vs Hell mercs (Nightmare mercs have different auras). It's not a big issue, though, because now mercs level at the time of hiring is your level minus a small number. If you're level 80, mercs you hire will be in the range of 75-79 or similar, so changing your merc mid-game doesn't mean you've gotta do level grinding to get him up to speed anymore.

Just don't forget to remove his gear before you hire a new one, unless you want to lose the gear.

5. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

According to the 1.10 mercenary guide, hirelings from earlier difficulty levels have slightly better skills and stats. The 1.11 patch made it so that hirelings leveled up a bit faster and could always be hired at a level within 5 of your own. Doesn't seem like there were any changes in regards to stats/skills.

6. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

Just go to Greiz in Act 2 and try to buy a merc from him that is the same level as the one your currently playing with. Assuming you've substantially leveled your merc you should notice that your mercenaries stats are quite higher than the one for sale.

7. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

but once you "bought" the new merc, the stat will change to the same, as long as they are from same difficulty. It is still better to hire from Normal, if you don't need Might or HF merc.

I believe it was saying "the stat difference from normal or higher difficulty is small, so it doesn't matter that much". However, for perfectionist or untwinked, make sure you hire from lower difficulty.