Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quick light sorc question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by rjharley, Apr 16, 2008.

1. rjharley

rjharley IncGamers Member

Quick light sorc question

Hi all, I've made a light sorc I have all the perfect equipment. Got him up to about 40k damage with lightning. The problem is, Chaos Sanctuary. My idiot mercenary charges in with iron maiden on and dies, then theres lightning immunes coming from everywhere with their immunity still intact because my merc is dead.

Wanted to know if anyone thinks this is a good idea, i played around with it a bit in hero editor. If i put 0 points into nova, i still hit around 34k dmg with lightning. I can then put 12 points into frozen orb and 8 into cold mastery. i gave this a run and seems to work fine in hell. does anyone have any suggestions?

(yes i counted up all the skills, u have enough to get 12 FO, 8 CM and their prereqs if u leave nova on 0)

2. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Re: Quick light sorc question

You can do that, but you're merc is still going to die.

I've found that the trick to keeping your merc alive is lots of teleporting. When the doom knights are coming at you, tp a bit back to keep your merc with you. Start CL'ing them. The distance between you and the OK's has to be bigger than you are used to, until the doom knights are taken care of. As you progress forward, you'll notice how the OK's have already died or are isolated and easily taken care of. Learn to instinctively step forward after tp'ing, so that IF the OK's cast any IM, you're the first one to receive it. To this end, also make sure he's using a relatively slow polearm. It helps.
    The trick is to be a bit defensive at times. It won't slow you down much, if at all, when you've got the hang of it. Play CS a lot to get the hang of it. Eventually, you'll start to obtain a feel for approaching the OK's and you will be able to usually realize a safety margin for your merc.
    It all becomes harder when player count and onscreen chaos increases, but this is a very reliable way of dealing with it in most situations. For example, my merc hasn't died to IM in over 8 runs now. It may be 20, I've lost count to be honest.

IMO, for 8player games, you need all the damage you can get. From my experience, 34 won't cut it.

3. SlyFox

SlyFox IncGamers Member

Here's some possible solutions:

1. Get a low dmg infinity and put it on your merc (He won't kill himself this way)
    2. Screw the merc all together, get a low str infinity that you can hold and you'll never have to worry about your merc.

4. erzk

erzk IncGamers Member

low dmg infi+shaftstop+gaze does wonders (might wanna Um both of them), just my 2cents :)

5. rjharley

rjharley IncGamers Member

thanks for the great replies. i was half expecting the "im a 2 year old so im going to call u a 'nub'" comment, so thanks again

6. eseven

eseven IncGamers Member

I did what you were thinking of doing and it works fine for me (1 point in nova, rest in orb). It's best to just try and keep your merc alive tho.

7. TitanKid

TitanKid IncGamers Member

In my very short time that i've been here, it seems that people here are just here to help and not make fun of people. Its a really nice community and i like it a lot so far. I hope that u find the same thing as i have.