Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quick levelling up - how?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Technologen, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Technologen

Technologen IncGamers Member

Quick levelling up - how?

Hey guys!

Im a paladin, at level 21, and on the last quest in act II (Find tal rashas tomb). I just wonder what ways are the best to level up?

Is it to start an own game, and slaughter as much as possible, or joining a game with lots of players, or only a few - and if thats the case - should i party up or not?

I can guess that this topic's been on here for a while, so im sure there's a guide or such hereby somewhere - but i cant seem to find it.

if anyone has some good tips for me i would be really grateful!

2. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I always level in non-partied 8-player games if possible. From 21 till at least 24, I think normal cows give xp. If not 8player solo travincal runs, kurast temple runs and durance runs work well. At 24 do normal ancients, and you will be 25, ready to do normal baal runs.

3. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

since you weren't rushed, cows, baalruns etc are not options.

what i do is make a 3 norm/flawless emerald bow and use that to kill duriel (at lvl 21, you should have bh by now and that will kill him. unless that isn't your build.)

act 3 is the best levelling for non-rushed chars, imho. flayers are easy to kill (although hard to hit with hammers), good xp, and breed like rabbits. doing a3 usually gives me like 10-15 levels playing normally.

another option is to join games with 2-3 people and do arcane runs. i usually do that if i am under level 20 and ready for duriel. however, as a pally, you might be better off with the undead in sewer runs.

4. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Most people get rushed to Baal and do Baal runs but drop before Baal goes into the worldstone chamber (don't risk getting kicked into the next difficulty level). The other chars do the killin for you and you just need to stay out of trouble.

Cons: You'll have to level your merc separately and some people don't like being a leech... although it doesn't bother me if there's a few in the group and I'm the one doing most of the killin.

5. Technologen

Whoa! Hold your horses here guys.

I'm a newbie to this game, and I don't know what "baal runs" is? And I've also heard Mephisto-runs and such - whats that all about? If someone could explain that to me I'd be grateful.

6. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

Baal is the final boss in the expansion. You have probably seen games called baal run 006 or others like that. When you do get to 25, join one of those games and follow all the other players. Baal running is dashing down to the bottom level of the worldstone (where baal lives) and killing his minions, and sometimes baal himself.

Mephisto is the boss of act3. He lives in level 3 of the durance of hate. Mephisto runs are when you run to level 3 as fast as you can and kill only mephisto.

7. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

Levels 1-20. just progress as well as you can in games.

Levels 20-30'ish. look for cow runs.

If you really want to level fast, youl want to make sure you have LoD expansion.

Levels 30-50'ish do nothing but baal runs. you can even keep going to 60.

Then start Nightmare at level 50-60. rinse and repeat. Start hell. Repeat til 99 and end.

8. Technologen

Aw scheit I don't have the expansion pack, maybe I'm better of buying it. But anyhow. So, for me who're on level 22, I should go to games where they play the secret cow level, join the party and slay some cows?

9. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

yep. cow levels til your exp gain slows. then move onto whatever suits best.

as far as the expansion.
    its probably not too much money. maybe get a used copyfrom ebgames.com
    that will really cut the price down.

10. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

the expansion for this game is really extensive... it's almost like a whole new game. I'd definitely suggest buying it, it's a blast!

--fatty

11. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

hes damn right too. its like a huge chunk of a game tagged in. not like other expansions.

12. Technologen

Okey, maybe I'll get to it and buy it soon.

But anyways, I don't have a grip about this "runs"-thingy yet. Do you mean that you should kill Mephisto (when doing a mephisto-run) and then save-and-exit, restart a new game and then go and kill him again? Or do you just kill him and then continue to act IV and don't do anymore?

Please be patient with a stupid like me :).

13. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Mephisto runs (meph runs) are primarily used for mf'ing. 99% of the people use a sorc to teleport down to meph, use the moat trick (lure meph in the moat thingy, he doesnt attack you there , but you can attack him) , pick up the items, save&exit, repeat. This is the easiest target for mf.

EDIT: The expansion is a must. You get a ton of new items, 2 new classes, jewels and charms. Oh, and it looks a whole lot better too (still doesnt look good, but better -_-)

14. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

yep. cow runs, baal runs. etc.

for example, cow runs.
    once you clear out the cows you start a new game.
    you preferably do runs as fast as possible.

15. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Level 21 = cows.

Once you hit 24, do Ancients, then do Baal runs to 50.

What are "runs"? Simple - where you join a game and help (or just tag along) while everyone kills everything in the named area. Be sure not to get the quest (eg. Don't kill Baal!) until you're absolutely sure you should, or you're absolutely sure it's safe to do so - if your Quest log says you "cannot complete Quest" you're usually safe.

Couple points:

In 1.10 you no longer need to kill Diablo/Baal to enter the cow portal. But you don't get good exp from Normal cows until you're level 20 or above. 8 player cow games typically net me two levels per full clear at level 20.

If you don't have the expansion pack, or can't find Cow games, go looking for Travincal run games. Although they're short, the exp is good. If possible, consider Chaos Sanctuary runs (in a large party) for exp as well, that should be good into your mid 20's.

Once you get above about 25, closer to 30, I have no idea what to do if you're not in the xpac. I guess cows until about 40 and then proceed into Nightmare. I definately wouldn't leave Normal until 40 even in Classic.

16. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

If you are as you say new to this game, the best way to level up - and bear with me here - is to just play normally! This is WAY more fun than endless repetitive runs of bosses/special areas. Trust me, doing that makes you bored of this game mighty fast, in my opinion.

The game is quite well balanced as far as getting experience goes... you'll be surprised how fast you'll level just playing the game as it was intended.

17. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

correction:

it makes YOU (kitriara) bored.

but runs = level = better char= better stuff = stuff for new chars = fun.

18. xPkxSumox

xPkxSumox IncGamers Member

Hell cows are crap now unless you are a lvl 60+ and can kill stuff. I have a lvl 20 pally in hell and he doesn't get any exp from hell cows, which sucks cause my enigma, hoto, cta, etc are begging to be put to use...

19. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Well, I did say its boring "in my opinion" =)

I'm not saying that new stuff as you level isnt fun - it definately is. But I'm just saying that doing runs of everything turns into a downward spiral of sorts as people get better and better. For instance, how about the lifecycle of the average player who has a bunch of stuff saved up...

- Rush to Andy
    - Sewer runs until you can do trav
    - Travincal runs until you can do baal
    - Rush to ancients
    - Baal runs until ~45

- Rush to Andy
    - Rush through A2
    - Rush through A3
    - Rush to D
    - Baal runs (you can pretty much start getting XP right away)

same goes again for hell difficulty, since you'll be ~75ish or so when you get there.

I'm just pointing out that constantly doing runs and getting rushed to the right places ends up with you playing about 7% of the game and just doing the same handful of places over and over again. Sure, you'll level really fast and get to wear your uber saved up gear, but it can also be fun to level fairly fast through normal play and enjoy the game. Otherwise the whole game becomes a rush to wear gear and do hell baal.

Just my two cents.

20. the_leaf

the_leaf IncGamers Member

:scratch: why did u go to hell with only a lvl 20 char? never leave norm until lvl 40-45 and nm 70-75. the exp from cows droped a lot in the 1.10 patch