Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quick FFA Barbarian Question.

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by BierWiser, Oct 8, 2006.

1. BierWiser

BierWiser IncGamers Member

Quick FFA Barbarian Question.

I am gonna be using COA and Enigma. I also have 15 strength Dracul's Grasp.

What Enigma armor should I use? I don't really mind repairing the Archon Plate.

I had seen a guy and that's how I learned this build. He had tri-resistance boots, but the guide here says use Gore Riders OR the tri-resistance boots. Which are better, I am guessing it's the resistance boots.

Is Deadly Strike double damage?

2. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

If you can muster 232 str then make enigma from a sacred armor. You can upwards of 2300 def.

For pvp the tri-resist boots are always nice to have (look for at least +15 to each resistance), especially against casters in the ffa. You can always stack cb and ds from other items (usually weapons).

Deadly strike is a hit that does double damage.

3. BierWiser

I am a BvC, so if I have a high defense enigma, that means I need a lot of strength. So there goes vitality, and the defense on a sacred armor enigma won't be worth it when I fight casters.

4. mainaman

mainaman IncGamers Member

you dont really need high def on a bvc. def means nothing against any ele caster, against any magic dmg caster against druid..you dont need high def against barbs too since they will have a ton of ar anyway ,and since you are not using shield high def is pointless. Smite is unblockable so def dont matter, for bowazon if you want to get hit less you need max block and shield , but then you are not a bvc...
    anyway the highest def armor you should use is archon plate, anything else that requires more str to wear , will make your run speed slower and your ww will be slower ,which is not good. if you like the loocs of bp and want more def make enigma in cuirass armor. you can use any armor up to archon plate..

5. sirmessbu

sirmessbu IncGamers Member

Mainaman is absolutly right about the fact ya don't need high defense but don't use any armor up to archon plate.
    If ya plan on not losing speed, light armor are your best bet. Then medium armor makes you suffer a 5% lost of speed and heavy armors inflict a 10% lost of speed.

Here is the list of light armor;

Dusk Shroud 77str
    Wyrmhide 84str
    Scarab Husk 95str
    Wire Fleece 111str
    Great Hauberk 118str
    Archon Plate 103 str

Now for the medium armor;

Diamond Mail 131str
    Boneweave 158str
    Balrog Skin 165str
    Kraken Shell 174str
    Lacquered Plate 208str
    Sacred Armor 232str

finally the heavy armor;

Loricated Mail 149str
    Hellforge Plate 196str
    Shadow Plate 230 str

Since ya plan on using coa wich needs 174 str and have a required level of 86. It means at that level your enigma will grant you at least 64 str.With the 15 str dracs that gives ya 79str bonus. 174(coa)-79(item bonus)= 95 base str required.

So I suggest a scarab husk , unless of course you do have a torch and anni then you could choose to use an even lower str required base armor to be able to invest more points in vitality.

I hope I been of help.

6. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Do not count it like that.

You will at MOST at anytimes ever need 63 base strenght.

This way:
    63+40=103
    103+15=118 (enough for Arreat's or TGod's)
    118+20=138 (enough for Grief and Beast)
    138+36=174 (enough for CoA)

So you will need:
    20 torch and anni
    at least 36 STR on Beast
    +15 str on draculs.

Oh, and this also let's you use EXACTLY Archon Plate with only your charms (103 total STR).

My Barbarian is based on this, and I use a Scarab Enigma for the looks. I used to use Archon, but it's gotten too common among the BvCs (nowadays most BvCs use Archon, when before it was almost always dusk or bp), so I do not like it. Plus I've always wanted to wear Scarab Husk.

7. mainaman

mainaman IncGamers Member

Any armor that requires less tr than archon plate is considered light armor. i like the looks of bp but i would like alil more def (although i said bvc dont depend on def...) so i use cuirass enigma. I would use scarab or dusk but they have low durability.

8. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Incorrect.

For example, Tigulated mail is heavy-class and Linked Mail would be Medium.

The "light" armors would be:
    Quilted Mail
    Leather Armor
    Hard Leather Armor
    Studded Leather
    Breast Plate
    Light Plate

And their exceptional and elite versions. Any other armors are either Medium or Heavy and contain a speed penalty.

Now, this leaves us with:
    Breast Plate
    Light Plate
    Cuirass
    Mage Plate
    Dusk Shroud
    Wyrmhide
    Scarab Husk
    Wire Fleece
    Great Hauberk
    Archon Plate

Those are all the Light Armors that you can pu Enigma into.

Now, Light and Breast Plate are the lightest of course, but they also have the least defense.

Then there's Cuirass and Mage plate with around 1000 defense both.

The rest (Dusk Shroud, Scarab Husk, Wire Fleece, Great Hauberk and Archon Plate) will always have over 1,000 defense.

9. BierWiser

With my torch, Annihilus, and Dracul's, my strength will be 84 without points added. Though, the boots I am going for, Rune Slippers, will add about 12 strength, so I've seen. So that's 96 strength with no points added.

Some armors below or at this limit are:
    Dusk Shroud: 77
    Wyrmhide: 84
    Scarab Husk: 95

Though I could stay with my Archon Plate which would only require 7 more strength points.

Remember, this is an FFA Barbarian. I won't be just BvC, but that's what the build leans towards.

With base strength, I will have more than enough strength from Enigma and Beast for my COA.

10. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

But there's a problem: You cannot use your CoA with Dual Dooms then, which will be bad when BMing Bowazons, as you will lack huge DR.

I suggest you go with the 63/57 build if you're gonna have ANY gear changes, as 63/57 with perfect items allows EVERY possible gear switch, without depending on your boots.

By the way, you should NEVER count in the stats from your boots to equip ANYTHING.

11. BierWiser

What is the 63/57 thing. Also, why not count on boots for stats? I won't be using any other boots.

12. De4dEyE

De4dEyE IncGamers Member

Because stat boots are generally res boots, and most of the time res boots are useless. So you'll be using Gores instead [hopefully..].

63/57 is base str/dex, i.e. added points.

13. BierWiser

Oh okay. What are other's opinions on that. Gores > Tri-Resist Boots? I am not purely BvC as I have stated a few times, I am FFA, excluding Hammerdins, I don't like them.

So then:
    Gores > Tri-Resist Boots?
    What armor should I use for Enigma if I am to have COA when I switch.
    What's that 63/57 thing?

14. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Gores are not necessarily better than Triple Resistance boots.

However, if you cannot afford 32020s, they CAN be better if you can get some life/resistance scs/lcs/gcs.
    You can use WHICHEVER Enigma you WANT TO. It doesn't MATTER.

63 is BASE STRENGTH (you add 33 points) and 57 is BASE DEXTERITY (you add 37 points). However, a more accurate way would be 103 - torch - anni for your STR and 117 - 1 raven - torch - anni for Dexterity. Will end up with the same values if you have perfect torch and anni and a 20 raven.

If you have or do not have CoA on switch has NOTHING to do with WHAT KIND your Enigma is. It depends on if you can reach your required amount of strenght.

15. BierWiser

Yeah I knew all of that, I just wanted to know if I should have an Enigma so I wouldn't have to add any strength and have full vitality. I won't need dexterity added since the Ravenfrosts will add 40. I have Archon Plate, but, what's second best with lower strength requirement. Also, what would do you think would be best for vs. melee and casters.

I know the COA switch problem was to do with strength. I just knew that if I needed to add strength in order to have COA on when I switched, then I could use a higher Enigma, ah ignore that. I know what to do when needed.

Plus, the Rune Slippers add strength, so choosing those boots would be an advantage too.

16. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

You will then depend on both Ravens AND Arreat's to use your Widowmaker. I wouldn't suggst such.

As for the Enigma, it DOESN'T MATTER.

Using a higher Enigma won't add you any STR, unless you are talking about using a heavier armor and thus needing str to use your Enigma. Bad idea, it will slow you down due to penalties. Just add the few STR points.

You shouldn't depend on your boots, as there will be times your boots will be totally useless (versus hammerdins and smiters, Windies and bowazons for example) and you will want to use other boots instead.

17. BierWiser

Alright well, a few last things.

The stuff about the Enigma, I was just wondering if I should use one that would allow me to not have to add any strength at all, or use one that needs a little strength and gives more defense. Dusk Shroud Vs. Archon Plate.

I really don't wanna duel Barbarians, so is there a need for the Stormshield? I think dueling Barbarians is boring, since I myself, am a Barbarian.

Same goes for Hammerdins too, I don't see the hope of accidentally getting a hit with a hammer as dueling, so I don't mind not dueling them either. Is that the only use for the Widowmaker, except against Sorceresses sometimes.

I have some items switches such as Arachnid Mesh and Thundegod's Vigor. I also have a weapon that does lightning resistance per level. I will switch the boots around if needed.

18. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Let's see:
    You should never add any str ONLY to use your Enigma. However, if there are other reasons, then yes, you can add str.

As for Widowmaker, versus hammerdins. I like to use it versus defensive trappers too.

As for arachnid's, it should be your main belt at all times. As for lightning stack, you should use a 35% IAS high LR Ba (optimal would be +180% LR)

19. BierWiser

Okay I got COA and I tested out the strength requirements. I know how to handle strength.

What's the Berserker Axe Lightning Resist thing. How could I get lightning resist from that. Wouldn't it be better to use Ort/Ort/Ort Demonhead or Bone Visage. I know that Fury Visor would add skills, but, just as an example?

Oh and Grief. I saw on some random thread that I should get at least 34% IAS. Is there a breakpoint on IAS? Or should I get the most I can.

Lastly, is leap good against more than just Necromancer summoners?

20. wildbillboy

wildbillboy Banned

DS only is checked for if your CS (mastery's etc) misses, this is why if you have good CS it's better to add OW and CB