Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quick Cold Mastery Question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by majorB, Mar 18, 2004.

1. majorB

majorB IncGamers Member

Quick Cold Mastery Question

I apologize in advance if this info is sitting somewhere blatantly obvious.

Question is, is there a cap on the -% to enemy cold resists similar to the paladins conviction? To elaborate, conviction is capped at -150% regardless of the skill level, so theres no point in going over skill level 25. Is this how cold mastery works? Or does the -% keep increasing exponentionally as the skill level goes up?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

MajorB

2. mistiquo

mistiquo IncGamers Member

If i recall correctly, you can only get monster res cold to -100% and since most monsters have about 50~75 res cold in hell, there is no use in putting more then -150~-175 res cold
    (note: this is all memory, I could be wrong, but it won't be much!)

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Sorry that i have to correct this.
    There is a sense in getting Cold Mastery as high as you can get, though due to Monster Cold resistances of Mephisto and DClone, the only sense is to get it to lvl32 CM

The way CM works:
    1. Its capped at -100% resist reduction
    BUT if a monster has higher resistances above 0% and more, this will also be subtracted from their +%res.
    So at lvl32 Cm you can even get Mephisto down to -100% resistance to cold :D

So there is no real cap for the character, but the cap is imposed by monsters!
    Thats the difference in it all. Above lvl32 CM is useless though since there are no monsters with higher resists than 95% in the game :teeth:

4. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

There's actually a big difference between the two.

Cold Mastery is capped @ -100% enemy cold resistance. This means that when a monster is 0% resistant, only 100% of CM is used. On a monster with 75% resistance 175% of CM is used.

Conviction is capped @ -150% skill effectiveness AND it has a cap of -100% enemy resistance. This means that when a monster has 0% resistance only 100% will be subtracted, but on a 75% resistant monster 150% will get subtracted, resulting in -75% resistance.

This is particularly usefull for PvP, since no monsters in the game have more then 75% resistance (when not immune, because then the subtraction works differently, and excluding DC with his 95% resist). In PvP most people have stacked resistance. This will not show in the char properties window, but it is notable when under influence of Conviction because it is possible to still have 75% resistance when under influence of Conviction. A High level Cold Mastery still has effect on these stacked resistance.

5. majorB

majorB IncGamers Member

Ok, thanks for the replies so far, I think Im getting this.

So for a pvp blizz sorc it would be beneficial to boost cold mastery pretty high in case you come upon someone with mass stacked cold resist, like a pally with max res, GA, 2 ravens, and a 4x p sapphire sheild?

Sorry, Im a Sorc newb.

MajorB