Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by BongoFury, Dec 7, 2014.

1. BongoFury

BongoFury IncGamers Member

I've been playing for a while now and I have a few questions that I hope y'all can help me with.

* Can you upgrade Leg Gems after they are socketed in a Ring/Ammy, or only when they are unsocketed? I've kind of stalled out at the T2-3 area and I doubt I will get much higher anytime soon, so I'd like to start using some LG's. And as a follow up, is it very expensive to unsocket them (figure L12-15)?

* As an experienced HC player I have always tried to get my resists as high as possible, but there is a serious diminishing return, how high do most people get their resists? Are there some that you need higher than others?

* I've been using my best judgement as to what affixes are best on items. I have been concentrating on Main Stat, Vit, Crit (% & dam), and to a lesser extent life/hit, IAS, and skill damage. What does conventional wisdom say I should be going for?

* Why does the name of a Rift change when I enter it? Sometimes when I open it, it says Nephalem Rift but when I enter it, it changes to something like Joe's Garage 1. Or when I open it says Joe's Garage 1 and upon entering it changes to St Alphonzo's 1. Is this significant in any way, or just a programming frack up by Blizzard?

* I liked to do off beat things in D2 like my naked Guardian, or killing Baal with a L8 toon. Are there any such challenges that people have come up with for RoS? I tried to twink up a new toon and play the campaign at T6, but I couldn't get any farther than Old Tristram. Cleared it out, but the monsters on the other side of the gate utterly out classed me. I used a Barb thinking it'd be the most durable. Maybe a caster type would work better.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards-
    BongoFury1415

2. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

You can upgrade gems no matter where they are, in your ring/ammy, in your stash, in your inventory. When you choose to upgrade a gem after killing a Greater Rift boss (instead of upgrading the Rift Key), all your gems are listed and you just choose which one you want to upgrade. They are listed in order by where the gem is. Any gem in your inventory is first, then I think ones that are socketed are next, and finally any that are in your stash are last. \

Leg Gems cost 50K to unsocket from a ring or ammy.

I had never noticed what you mention about the Rift names so I tried it. That is odd, no idea why that is. I do notice that once you've entered the rift the name seems to stays constant.

Barbs are no longer the strongest toons. In fact, Barbs might be the weakest as the game stands now. My WD is more hardy than my Barb is. Things are kind of upside down with the game right now as far as that goes.

As affixes go, don't underestimate elemental skill buffs. Bracers are pretty much a mandatory place for that seems like for any class. Main stat, Vit, Crit chance & +% Elemental skill dmg.

3. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

It's a flat 50k, you can level them regardless, and if you can't get level 25 I wouldn't suggest using any, other affixes are better.

It's class based since armor and resists basically do the same thing. But because all res is universally better than armor even for Int classes, high.

Elemental and skill bonuses as well as crit for offense. Don't make a glass cannon, but prolonged fights will kill you regardless of defense, killing an elite in 0-1 affix rounds is the best defense.

It's just random, but there are only 3 actual names anyways so don't worry about it.

Nope, and if that's how you played D2 I'm gonna level with you. You won't enjoy yourself long in a game about One True Wayism. There's pretty much no room for any of that, if you want a practical example of what I mean look at "Play your way Thursday" which is meant as a way of encouraging people doing different things but because different = joke build that is literally ten or more times worse than the One True Build it has the opposite effect.

And if you are maining a Barb, definitely the worst class, especially on HC.

4. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

I'm not sure about Resist All being better than Armor for Int classes. Admittedly, I have little experience with Int classes, but on my WD with 7k-8k Int I found that +Armor% from Paragon points offered more Toughness than +Resists did. I don't know how +Armor (a straight amount, not a % bonus) fairs vs +Resists though.
    That being said, my barbs usually have around 1100-1300 All Resists after War Cry [Impunity].

Yes, Barbs are the most fragile class now, and on top of that they don't have a cheat death passive, and neither a cheat death set bonus.

On a side note on what Zappa said, you cannot upgrade Legendary Gems that are on another character. In other words, if your character has access to it, you can upgrade it.
    On a side note, if your character does not have access to it, that gem can and will eventually drop from a Rift Guardian, allowing you to get multiple copies of that gem.

Many people advocate using a 1:10 ratio for Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage. I personally favor CHC, because I prefer consistancy, even if it lowers my raw damage output, as well as helping to proc certain effects, like the Barb's Battle Cry [Bloodshed] area damage. Even though I said I prefer consistancy, I value attack speed lower than both CHC and CHD.

5. Steven Hazani

Every item except chest and pants doesn't even give 400 armor, which is not even 40 resist all. Those same items also give 100 resist all. So even if you have something like 2,000 all res already meaning armor gives much better than a 10:1 ratio it's still not enough so they're even equal.

Now %armor is sometimes better just because you're increasing by around 10-12% with all res and as much as 25% with armor. But given that you don't even put points there until the Salt levels (400+) because all res and even life regen are both more effective and a new player won't be there yet...

6. BongoFury

BongoFury IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the answers, much appreciated.

Maybe the best way to improve my game would to be to have my toons critiqued:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BongoFury-1415/hero/55208784
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BongoFury-1415/hero/53830309
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BongoFury-1415/hero/50442328

Those are my top 3 toons. I'm an old fart and I'm not a good button pusher, so I like to play characters that are as simple as possible. So in maximizing my DPM output I like skills that don't take a lot of attention.

For the WDs I use pets primarily, and I run Spirit Barrage with Manitou as an automatic close range damage dealer. I spam Haunt when I first spot an enemy to get that DPM cooking, and as they engage my pets I wash a wave of Piranhas over them for the damage enhancement. Then I spam my primary skill as my active battle skill.

The Wiz follows a similar intent, with Hydras taking the role of minions. And skills that are as simple as possible.

I'd appreciate any input that could help me improve my characters. I haven't read any guides or build guides, I've settled into these builds through trial and error and what 'seems' to work best, so excuse me if I've missed the 'obvious' things that everyone else knows.

Regards-
    BongoFury

7. Steven Hazani

Well fortunately characters that practically play themselves are the best anyways (especially after 2.1.2, where Hydra becomes the best Wizard skill).

WD: I'm seeing a lack of crit damage on most of the slots that can have it. You should immediately add it on your rings and weapon (via emerald) as well as your gloves. Attack speed does not affect DoTs and negatively impacts channeled skills (it does help pets though). Your helm is also lacking crit and your gems should be topazes, there's also some other minor things you can do but you probably lack the resources right now.

Wiz: I'm gonna assume that's a very new character. Like all Wizards, you want Firebird set. Accept no substitutes. While Serpent Sparker is kinda meh now, in 2.1.2 it will be the best weapon you could possibly have and it's only uncommon so finding it shouldn't be that bad. It should go without saying fire is the best element. Disintegrate is an acceptable starter build but ditch it at the first opportunity.