Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions that need answers :)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by poopie_pants, Mar 26, 2005.

1. poopie_pants

poopie_pants IncGamers Member

Questions that need answers :)

Hi all,
    I'm about to start a Lightning Javazon, and I wanted to get some feedback from the great folks here in the SPF, as I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who have tried some form of this build. Specifically, I'd like some advice in regards to the following:

1. Skill Placement
    2. Stats
    3. Equipment
    4. Crafting

Please note that I have gone and read a couple of the guides on the amazon forums ahead of time, but I'd figure I would pick all of your brains also :). As a forenote, this character will be used strictly to run hell cows at /players8, as well as pindle runs, as I do not have a character atm that is capable of doing either effectively.

1. Skill Placement

I guess my real concern here is whether, if I choose to go strictly lightning, I would be able to make it through hell in order to be capable of even doing cow runs. I am certain of these skills:

Lightning Fury 20
    Critical Strike 5 (should have enough + to skills to get this above 10)
    Pierce 5 (should have enough + to skills to get this above 10)
    Valk 10-15 (I've heard shooting for lvl17 is decent enough for hell)

That leaves anywhere from 50-55 points to spare (given clvl 80). Here's where it gets tricky. I'd like to concentrate on the lightning synergies, since I want the character to be as strong as possible in cows. But I have not created a Javazon in 1.10, so I'm not sure how much of a difference the synergies even make. This is where I need some advice. Should I spend some points (say 15/15) in the poison skills? Will this be effective enough in hell? Or am I overly concerned about trying to get through hell with one element? My merc will be pretty-well equipped, and I could rely on crushing blow if needed.

2. Stats

I really only have one question here. How many points should I pump into dexterity? I know I will want enough to max blocking, but should i place any more points than that? Will it help enough in terms of dealing out physical damage as well (if I choose to go strictly lightning)?

3. Equipment

The fun stuff. Here is what I am planning as my end-gear:

Javelins: Easy, Titans (on switch too). However, is it worth to upgrade these? My runes are sparse at best lol.
    Armor: Skulders' Ire (planning on socketing with +10all resistances/3-18 cold damage jewel, or p. topaz)
    Shield: I'm torn between Stormshield (for obvious reasons, this is a great shield), and Lidless Wall (for + to skills). Will probably end up wearing both anyway (one on switch).
    Belt: Tgods, right? Or is there something else out there that would be more effective?
    Gloves: Torn between Laying of Hands, or Crafted Vambrances that have 20%IAS/Knockback/+Str/Resistances
    Boots: War Travelers, although I'm open for suggestions.
    Helm: I'm a Mal or Ist away from a Delirium helm. I have a lvl81 strafer that is dying to use this, but my question is can this helm be as effective on a Javazon? More specifically, can the CTC's take effect from the lightning bolts that spread to other enemies? I guess that's the big question. If not, I may go H. Crest instead.
    Jewelry: Ravenfrost, and rare +11 all resistances/7%LL as my rings (don't have an SoJ), and +2 rare zon ammy (I don't have one yet, but I'm looking...also open to suggestions).
    Charms: A few skillers (hopefully), some resists, mf, etc.

Crafting:

Really only one question here also. I've read about how the charm crafting recipe works in terms of ilvl, etc., but wanted to get all of you crafters out there advice. When trying to get skillers, what ilvl charm do you use? I have some grand charms that are in the 60's ilvl. Just wondering what would give me the best chance. Again, I'm a n00bler when it comes to this sort of thing.

Well, that about covers all grounds, I think. Again, any feedback/advice/ personal experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks all!!

-PP

2. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

No need for Crit strike.

Try maxing Charged strike and four other synergy, that would be ultimate boss killer.

No need for too much DEX LF is ITD anyways.

Shield - I prefer Moser's Blessed Circle - 2x PDiamond - you will need resists.

belt - Razortail is better until you run WSK and Baal then you need lightning absorb. (Tgods)

Gloves - +2 jav skills/+20%IAS is the best. Laying on hands +% damage to demons depends on physical damage and that will not be too high.

Helm: Harley or Griffon's Eye.

skills: you can go max lightning way (good for MF runs and cowing) or with backup skill (PJ+PJ/FA+CA) that's good for questing but no good after you mat her.

The damage from Lightning Fury really goes up with +skills and pierce. It's important to get 100% pierce with razortail and as much +skills as possible.

EDIT: and put one point in each passives.

3. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Hmm... I don't think you need that much in CS/Pierce, although it depends a lot on what you're planning.

Here's the rough plan for my LF zon and why:

LF - 20. Obviously.
    CS - 20. Best boss-killing skill. I swear I've never seen NM Meph die so fast :)
    Valk - 20. You don't need to max her, but more points = more life, AR, damage, and gear (up to 27 IIRC, although weapon maxes at 17).
    Pierce - 3-5. (I'll explain why)
    Synergies - the rest.

First off, no the synergies don't make much difference to LF. However they do to CS, and that allows your 'zon to waste Act Bosses with impunity, getting them to the Moo Moo Farm quicker.

You only need points in Pierce if:

a) You're not using Razortail (in which case you want as much as possible)
    b) You are using Razortail but don't have enough +skills to bump Pierce up to the required level for total 100% piercing.

Either way it really doesn't matter. Put points in Pierce if you aren't happy with it. I'm not using a Razortail but find about 10 after +skills is plenty - although I haven't done Hell Cows yet (works fine in NM though...)

Poison skills should be left alone unless you're planning a LF/PJ zon. They do damage over time, and generally most monsters can just be disposed of by switching to Jab and poking them to death.

Yes it will, but not noticably. Just get max block.

Weapon: Upgrading Titan's is very handy if you have the runes. Thunderstroke is a good switch for boss kills on your way through, but Titan's is the main weapon of choice.

Armour: *shrugs* whatever, really. Skullder's is nice, although in lieu of that I'm using Que-Hegan's Wisdom for +1 skills and style points.

Shield: Stormshield. Get your +skills elsewhere, the 35%PDR and blocking is too good to pass up. Socket with -req/resist jewel for maximum effect.

Belt: TGods for +skills and lightning absorb, Razortail for Pierce. Cowers tend to prefer 100% pierce for maximum carnage.

Gloves: I use LoH, although crafted gloves can get +2 jav skills IIRC.

Boots: Gore Rider. OW, CB, and FRW. What more could you ask for? War Traveller may be better for cows though.

Helm: Harlequin Crest. Delerium probably won't work on the lightning bolts, so you'd just risk spending a minute as an Undead Flayer...

Jewelry: Ravenfrost. Second ring can be Nagelring (MF), SoJ/BKWB (+skills), or a good rare to patch over resists. Amulet either +2 zon rare/crafted or +2 unique.

Charms: Everything else.

4. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

The best chance for skiller is level 50 GC. However there is not much prefixes higher then alvl 50, so the chance will not be much higher with any higher lvl GC.
    For Crafting blood gloves, you will have to be lvl 60 and buy lvl 65 gloves for access to +20%IAS and +2 java skills. (it should be char lvl + gloves ilvl >=125 AFAIK)
    You don't want knockback on javazon! Craft blood gloves, not hitpower!

5. poopie_pants

Great feedback all. Good point about Critical Strike, /doh, see this is why we ask questions :D. I will continue my search for an Ist to complete Delirium, but will leave it for my strafer. Sounds like Charged Strike is the way to go, and since I've never seen or used this skill, it should be great fun. What weapon do most use for CS? Lyc Flank?

Interesting to hear about the preference of razortail over TG's, I automatically assumed the + to LF would win hands down. But I agree pierce is crucial for this build...I'm still undecided about this one.

Hrus, I see your point regarding knockback. I do have a nice crafted pair of gloves with 20%IAS, 3%LL, and 7% Crushing Blow I might use instead (also ones with 10% CB, 21%MF, and resists). Meantime, I will continue to try and gamble/craft for +2 Jav skill gloves, and +2 ammy.

Thanks everyone :clap:

-PP

6. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

For a questing armour I find it hard to go past Skin of the Vipermagi. The resists are too useful to pass up and make up for the fact that Stormshield (w/out a PD or resist all jewel) only has lightning resist. Razortail is the definite preference for the belt - it is noticably faster killing with this on and it saves you skill points in pierce. By all means carry Thundergods to help with Gloams (though if you are a little careful and have resists maxed you can quite easily survive them without it using Decoy and wall-hugging). I didn't find having no backup skill a problem. Valk and mercenary seem to be able to take care of pretty much anything between them that you can't and if you get really keen you can join in yourself using your one point in jab. Oh, and as said previously, points in crit strike are wasted. I maxed Valk and actually put a few points in Decoy to bump her life up a little more but on retrospect I regret the decoy points as they could have been in synergies. If you were particularly daring you could go with no Valk and get some serious damage going but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Edit: Just use your Jav for CS - it's fine. No need for weapon switch.

MAAM

7. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

I wonder why you're using Skullder's Ire? If it's for MF I would suggest Tal Rasha's Helm/Armor/Belt, you get 10% Dual Leech, good resistances, and MF from that.

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

The + skills are crucial for fast killing.
    EDIT and razortail has that pierce ability.

9. poopie_pants

Aside from + skills Skulders offers, can't afford Tal's Armor hehe :D

10. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

I can't help you on the questions asked, alot of good answers are given allready, however:
    Running around as a flayer is cool though :D

''Mil & Sam''

11. Feceset

Feceset IncGamers Member

Don't wanna steal the thread, but I also don't wanna make a new thread about Javazons.

Would these gloves do well on a Javazon for midlevel gear?

Lancer's Gauntlets of Readiness
    Defense: 14
    Durability: 24 of 24
    Required Strength: 60
    Required Level: 45
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 84
    Fingerprint: 0xc822bfd
    10% Increased Attack Speed
    +3 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)

Also, would Dracul's Grasp make good endgame gloves, or are Laying of Hands better?

12. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

IMHO these gloves are better than Dracul's. Lightning zon is an uber killer, so she doesn't need defensive abilities as Life tap - she doesn't do enough physical damage to benefit from it much anyway. (The same reason for not using Laying of hands) She needs +skills and IAS. I am just looking for +3 javaskills/+20%IAS magic gloves. IMHO these would be superior to gloves I am using now:

Ghoul Clutches
    Sharkskin Gloves
    Defense: 37
    Durability: 8 of 14
    Required Strength: 20
    Required Level: 57
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0xae6f6064
    +4 to Strength
    +11 to Life
    Lightning Resist +11%
    3% Life stolen per hit
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    6% Chance of Crushing Blow
    +2 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)

13. poopie_pants

/drool, I'd be extremely happy with a pair of gloves like that Hrus. One of the main reasons I'm building this amazon is to hoard p. gems and those low level runes for crafting. Some of the best items in the game come from that little brown cube :).

-PP

14. Steven Q Urkel

Steven Q Urkel IncGamers Member

I too have considered making a lightning fury Amazon, and would like to ask if Highlords Wrath is a viable choice for an amulet. A Highlords I have, an ub3r Zon rare ammy I don't. :lol:

15. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I don't know abt that. As you mentioned, Highlords has LR and +skills which is basically what you're looking for in an ammy.

Cats eye has a huge dex bonus which you'll have plenty anyway.

Just my personal preference :) You could cube safety ammys too to see if something nice comes from it.

16. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I can't have too much FR/W. It just gets me running into monsters and killed when I click on them.

poopie_pants: For hell cows at P8, consider going with maximum lightning/minimum elsewhere?

d/a/e 1
    valk 17 (with +skills)
    pierce 8-9(with +skills)
    LF/CS 20+1.5 synergies.

You can try lvl 9 valk since I don't know much much you use her for cows but the lvl 17 valk is always recommended to help with the LIs.