Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

~ Questions regarding the MF Meteorbess ~

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Pri]M[aL, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Pri]M[aL

Pri]M[aL IncGamers Member

~ Questions regarding the MF Meteorbess ~

Hi there! :howdy:
    Finally, I decided to create a MF Sorceress (for Ladder Hardcore!) to do some Mephisto runs.
    Since Mephisto´s elemental weakness is Fire, it would be dumb not take advantage of it, and I chose the Meteor spell since it´s my favourite fire spell, plus it has some nice synergies.
    Building a sorceress in 1.09 HC was not hard, since the monsters were weaker, but now everything must be carefully planned in order to prevent some disasters.
    So without further ado, this is what I had in mind:

Statistics:
    Strenght: 53-97 (Whistan´s shield and later for Skullder´s Ire)
    Dexterity: Enough for maintain a 75% chance to block
    Vitality: All the remaining points
    Energy: Base (?)

Skill layout:
    [20] Meteor;
    [20] Fire Mastery;
    [20] Fireball or Firebolt (sinergy for both spells);
    [20] Frozen Orb;
    [01] Static Field, Energy Shield, Shiver Armor and Cold Mastery.

How much life/mana does your block MF sorceresses have?
    More mana or more life? I´m aware of the Succumbus mana curse, but does it really cripple you? For spamming spells such as Firebaall, Nova, Chain Lightning I undertand, but for Meteor/Frozen Orb which are timered spells, does it hurt badly?

I´m planning on maxing all Meteor´s sinergies (except Inferno) on the long run, but for now which should I max out first? Fireball for spamming, or Firebolt to further increase the Meteor´s damage? And how much damage you deal with those spells?

Since the Sorceress only gets two additional hit points per vitality point, she needs all the help she can get in order to survive hell.
    So what is better in your oppinion? High level Energy Shield (and how much % should I get?)/base energy/high level Warmth or 1 point on Warmth and high energy?

Energy shield has only one synergy, and that´s Telekinesis, by sinking skill points in it what benefits am I gonna obtain? :scratch:

And how Energy Shield and Vulpine items (XX% damage goes to mana mod) interact with each other? Which one trigger´s first?

Also I was thinking in hiring a Defiance mercenary (Hell difficulty) to deal with the PI´s that I´m gonna find, but lots of people had advised me to stick with a Might mercenary, since I can get him out of danger simply by teleporting. At first flance I wanted to use it, but you can only hire him on Nightmare. Which places should I go in order to level him quickly? Nightmare Moo Moo Farm? Baal runs?

2. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

imho if u want to run Meph use a blizz sorc, but thats just my 2 cents.

3. Pri]M[aL

Thanks, but as the topics says I want to create a sorceress that uses Meteor and Frozen Orb has her main skills and not Blizzard.

4. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

I wouldn't reccomend Blizzard for a HC character. In fact I wouldn't reccomend any single element sorc for HC.

I have a few pointers however on your proposed build.

- Energy Shield + base mana build usually results in a dead sorc pretty fast. Especially when you don't have the synergy points for Telekinesis to make Energy Shield better. Your mana pool (which won't be truly large to begin with) will get drained in seconds when under elemental attacks.

- Manaless build and timered spells go hand in hand quite easilly. At first you will be having mana problems, but with some nice +mana gear you can aquire quite a good amount. For the possibility to teleport to your hearts desire you'd need about 1k mana, but 600-700 mana and a few mana pots also work.

- Cold Armour won't make a good amount of difference, unless you can make the bonus count. Normally an around level 10 cold armour will reduce hits taken with 10% or something the like. I think it is actually less, unless you have some good defense items. Having a Defiance merc will make this more effective, but not really THAT noticable. But what the heck, it's only 1 point anyway.

- Frozen orb without at least a few points in Cold Mastery won't do you much good. I know you won't use it that much, but it's a hell of a skill to use leveling and questing. I'd say 6 or 7 in CM. This makes a BIG difference, believe me.

- As for the whole life thing, you're absolutely right that the sorc is a little in the miss when it comes to Vita -> Life ratio. There's one good side on this, Vita charms will be increasingly valuable to a sorc. You can boost your life quite a bit with a few Vita sc's. You get max 20 life from one sc, so 20 of these babies will get you an extra of 400 life. Screw MF charms, go for life.

5. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

Why is this? I've built 6 different sorcs on HCL ever since 1.10 (in fact I only play HCL in 1.10) and I don't find a single tree sorc has any trouble to do their job (eg. fireball sorc for andy, blizz for meph). Of course they suck in questing, but that's not the point of building those characters.

Actually I found that ES is an excellent precaution to danger in HCL: it alerts me to take a full reju! All of my sorcs have base energy with maximum vit and I don't find my mana ball drain that quickly, unless I'm swarmed or hit by mana burn packs. This very rarely happens because, well, HCL players are a lot more careful in positioning in those in softcore. Even in those situations where I do get drained, the 25% teleport will kick in automatically to escape to safety in several hits while I keep chucking those purples. I keep two rolls of full reju and will not hesitate to take one whenever I made a bad teleport. With a good FCR you should be able to escape in any situation without drinking more than 2 of them. The reds and blues are only for minor injury. Always drink that purple one in HC! Those potions drop all over the place in hell anyways.

6. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

my meteorb sorc using full tals has about 700 mana and 1200 life WITH max block (i was proud when i finally figured out how to do that with the stats :lol: )

i have a 4k fireball, and a 10k meteor after +skills and -resists that tals gives.

as for the succubus bloodmana curse (that baal does on you too) they ONLY cast it on you specifically if your mana is higher than your life, and in your case it shouldn't be. but you can still fall prey to it if you are within the curse radius of another character with more mana who got targeted by it.

and because of the lower mana bulb you'll have, please please please PLEASE don't invest anything in energy shield - too many pre reqs due to you having to split trees, and you will find you never have any mana. i find energy shield is all or nothing - if you fully synergize it, max energy shield, and get at least 57% damage goes to mana (a mod you'll find on items like nightsmoke + aldurs boots), you will find yourself taking VERY LITTLE damage - its great - the mana kinda bounces back and forth. but that's a huge skill investment, and won't work with your plan to split skill trees.

i suggest a HF merc - slowing everything down rules.

7. Pri]M[aL

Thanks for your reply.
    What does Telekinesis do to the Energy Shield? It´s not displayed on the skills.
    For now I´m gonna use Tal Rasha´s belt and Aldur´s boots, both have the vulpine mod.
    I though on the Holy Freeze mercenary, but I already have the Frozen Orb to slow down the monsters. If I hire a Nightmare mercenary where should I level him up?

8. Cwibster

Cwibster IncGamers Member

This sorc is basically exactly the same as mine except for gear. She's using full tal set, magefist, WT, 2*eld moser's and hopefully 2 soj's eventually. I can't recommend the build more. Has been the best all round sorc I've used since I've started playing diablo 2.

She's level 89 at the moment and hasn't died since around level 70 (It was a real struggle playing without the complete tal set). Couldn't recommend this build more :)

My stats/skills are as follows so far...

20 Fire Ball
    20 Meteor
    20 Fire Mastery
    20 Frozen Orb
    6 Cold Mastery
    1 Static/Telekenesis/Teleport/Pre-reqs

Base stats..

95 str (for WT)
    164 dex (75% block with duel eld mosers)
    241 vit (around 1000 life)
    35 energy (around 400 mana without 2* soj)

Havn't got the 2*soj so im on a pretty low mana pool but my resists are pretty good even without an anni charm yet (60, 60, 75, 20)

One thing I would say though is more than 1 in cold mastery. I've got about 6 base at the moment (around 15 or so with gear) and it's worth it imo, way more damage in hell and a lot more useful in 8 player games. I did (and am still doing) the cold mastery skill last. I'm not sure if this is a great idea since you may need the extra bonus early on in hardcore but I wouldn't know much about that since dying has never really been a problem in softcore :)

Good luck with it anyway :thumbsup:

9. Dark-LYNX

Dark-LYNX IncGamers Member

I don´t use Energy Shield at all, I use my mercenary and teleport if things aren´t good...
    IMO waste 20 skill points on Telekinesis is a waste....I rather spend them on Firebolt, and increase Meteor/Fireball damage. The best defense is a strong offense.

10. Cwibster

Cwibster IncGamers Member

Wise words indeed :drink:

11. Pri]M[aL

I have the same oppinion, that´s why I´m only gonna only spend 1 skill point on Energy Shield/Telekinesis, and stick with Firebolt at higher levels. Like you said well, the best defense is a strong offense. :)