Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

questions regarding immunes in hell

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by kooshball, Jun 24, 2005.

1. kooshball

kooshball IncGamers Member

questions regarding immunes in hell

if a monster is immune, does that mean it's 100% never going to be able to take damage? say i have cresent moon on merc which gives -35% To Enemy Lightning Resistance. and i have a paly with lvl 20 conviction -125% resist, then i have a LR wand that does -31% resist. for a total of -192% resist, does the monster still have immunity?

if so :(

i noticed sometimes a boss will spawn with immune and after i cast LR it goes to 95% or something. but this doesnt seem to work on normal monsters with immune.

2. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

Some (not all) monsters can be broken using conviction and lower resist. Items with -% enemy resists such as crescent moon do not help break immunities, but do help you deal more effective damage if the immunity is broken by other means.
    Now how would you know that it's at 95%? :scratch:

smells like fish

3. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Immune monsters have resistance of 100% or higher.

Lower Resist, Conviction, Amplify Damage and Decrepify can break immunity, but they only work at 1/5th their normal value if the monster is immune.

So, if your Lower Resist is at 50%, it removes 10% from an immune monster. If the monster has 100% it will end up at 90%, and no longer be immune. If, however, the monster has 110%, then your Lower Resist will put it down to 100% --- which means it's still immune.

-%enemy resist gear will only kick in *after* these skills have removed the immunity. It will do NOTHING versus an immune monster. These items do not get the 1/5 penalty.

4. kooshball

kooshball IncGamers Member

ok so as long as the LR gets the resist to 99%, then the -%resist kicks in and takes it to 99-35=64 %?

i guess that's good.... but still nto efficient way of dealing wiht immunes. :(
    i guess i need to get infinity for my merc. sucks being poor

5. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Yes.

Hm... probably need 10 chars, but with this it should be much more than that, so I hope the forum accepts this post even though this text is just filler to get past the 10 char requirement but I hope the forum software isn't smart enough to recognize this or else it will probably reject it nonetheless so I'm trying to confuse the software by writing a lot of useless stuff here so the software will eventually give up trying to determine whether this is just filler text, which it probably doesn't even try to, but one never knows...

6. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

thanks for confuzing me :confused:

7. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Infinity drops max resists by -85 but suffers the same 1/5th penalty. So any monster with 120 or more resists won't be touched by it alone (there are no immunities between 110-120 to my knowledge). LR will stack with it but not enough to get past 130 immunes which aren't that uncommon. Paladins with maxed conviction and necros with a decent LR working together can break most immunities. With an LR wand and Infinity, I wouldn't expect to be able to break much more than half of immunes.

Decrepify and Amp Damage only work on physical immunities.

8. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

When you count in boss packs with variable mods, you get a lot more different values of resists. Immune base monsters are indeed typically defined with resist of nice round multiples of 10 (ie 100, 100, 120) but for example bosses that are immune often get that way by being eg Fire Enchanted which gives +75% FR on top of their usual base. So since quite a few normally non-immune monsters have values like 33 FR they can end up at wierder immune values once the FE adds in.