Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions on untwinked play + meteororb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ducko, Feb 7, 2016.

1. ducko

ducko IncGamers Member

Ok so I just finished Normal on my level 48 Zealot (http://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/avenger-or-zealot.922261/#post-8748610). Taking my time to play. Have some questions on what to do:

1. Rhyme
    So I already have Shael to make Rhyme (2 in fact) since A5. Thing is as a Paladin, I can make it in a Paladin Shield (else I would have made it in a Bone Shield). Any idea what Shield I should be making it on considering that I'm now in NM A1? What's the best base resist I should be getting for my Shield (or should I not be anal about it :D).

2. Strength and Dex
    I am currently at 63 Strength, and ~100 Dex. What's a good recommended Strength to hit, since I don't even know what Weapon/Armour I'm going to be able to find/make. Also for Dex, should I just leave it as it is since eventually I would be putting more points in Holy Shield? Or should I just aim to hit MB now with whatever Rhyme Shield I use?

3. MF gear
    When's a good time to drop MF gear? I am currently using a 3 PTopaz Helm, flawed topaz Armour, Nagelring (woot), MF Boots/Gloves/Ammy/Rings). Basically full basic MF stuff as recommended in the guides. Is there a point where I should drop them for proper gear to survive NM?

4. Anything else I should be looking for in NM?

Next question will be on Meteor Orb Sorc. Probably playing her too, since I realise that I probably need a character that can handle MF runs well. I don't really mind her being a little untwinked (what other items do I have now :D) by giving all my old Topaz items and sharing my stash etc. I'm not a purist, ultimately everything is still going to be self-found :D

5. What's the skill build I should focus on? As in put more points in Meteor first, or Orb first? Should I save skill points and leave my Merc to do all the kills, and spread them evenly on Level 24/30 spells? Also what's the ultimate skill build for a good MF Meteor Orb?

Thanks all! And happy CNY to all who celebrate it ;)

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

1. Use the 2 socket paladin shield with the best blocking and best resist or attack bonuses which you currently have. Don't be stingy with runes which theNM Countess is dropping frequently. Just don't invest a precious Larzuk reward on it.

2. The basic rule is "str - enough for gear, dex - enough for max blocking with holy shield, vit - all the rest". As you are playing untwinked, I would keep a reserve of let's say 20 unused stat points and keep a few +str charms at hand, in case you find something really good with high reqs. You don't have to be too reluctant with investing into dex because you have to continue investing into it when leveling up in order to keep blocking at 75%.

3. I wouldn't use any MF gear at all with a paladin at this time. In fact, I would stop playing him as soon as you are through with nightmare until your MF sorc project has shown a bit progress. If you want to continue playing him untwinked, the case is different, of course. Hell mode will be very very difficult without a good weapon.

4. Gems, charms, jewels and runes. If you are lacking a halfway good weapon, try the Black runewored, one of the few good things to do with a Io rune. I'm not sure if that outweighs the frustration which I usually feel when having to accept that it reads Io and not Lo after it has dropped.

5. If you want to start a particular character for MF and you have no item resources so far, I would make a blizzard sorc. That's probably the most effective character to start from scratch. In order to do MF in hell mode, all you have to achieve is reaching the Ancient Tunnels in act 2, the perfect place for a sorc. That should be possible in spite of having a single-element build. Once you are able to sneak past act 3 while assembling Khalim's Will and reach Meph, he will drop a lot of everyday items and a couple of the really good oneswhich would otherwise need much longer to achieve.

If it must be a meteorb, I usually make a meteorb sorc by respeccing a blizzard sorc at a rather high level, so I'm not entirely sure what to max first. In any case, one point into orb and cold mastery right at level 30. Beyond that, I would probably put halfway equal amounts into fireball, meteor and fire mastery until maxed. You won't really need cold attacks before hell mode. Don't max fireball early, as that will increase mana costs while investments into synergies and fire mastery increase damage without that. As soon as fireball, meteor and fire mastery are maxed, continue with orb until it's maxed as well, maybe a bit earlier if you feel the need to enter hell mode before. Beyond that (which is probably at L80-85), I would invest the rest into cold mastery. Fire bolt as another fireball/meteor synergy isn't worht it in comparison IMO.

3. ducko

ducko IncGamers Member

Hmm yea I know about the general rule of Str/Dex, just that with the uncertainty of what gear I may get, not sure how I should approach it :D

As for the Sorc, any others sharing the same sentiment about a Blizz Sorc? How about Orb+FB?

4. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

I don't think there are paladin shields which Larzuk will give 2 sockets to. Don't be stingy with Shael runes, in a few levels you won't even pick them up.

Nothing wrong with spending all your points in vit (minus that suggested 20 point buffer in case of great item) as you can respec in 1.13.

I second MF sorc progress before paladin progress. You'll need big gear upgrades when you get to hell, and the fastest way of getting those gear upgrades is to have a good MF character to farm those. Targets like NM baal, especially hell meph and once you have a decent level and sturdy merc, hell pindleskin, will be ten times faster to run with a decent sorc than with a struggling zealot.

5. ducko

ducko IncGamers Member

Haha. Makes me wonder the design of this game, that it's not meant for single player! Seems almost impossible to solo hell without a Sorc, and with default stash (no atma/trades etc)! I think I'll stick to my Paladin though, until I hit a roadblock :D

More comments on Sorc type?

6. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Always liked pure blizzard or blizz/fireball. Both pretty strong without infinity.

It is certainly possible to beat the game with any character and no muling or even rerunning areas. Some people like the game that way. Others (like me) like to just get as powerful as possible and kick as many monster butts as fast and efficiently as possible.

Atratees likes this.
  7. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Cant solo Hell without a Sorc? Wait. Are u kidding? Any char will do it, even in HC. Just need to plan and be patient. Laters!!!