Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions on skills, stats and gear on Tesladin entering Hell der=

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by diablo loves donutz, May 3, 2008.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Questions on skills, stats and gear on Tesladin entering Hell

Hi guys. I used to play extensively, but with work and school breathing down my neck, I've only managed to play sp with my tesladin that I've been working on over time. He's at 66 at the moment and I already have Holy shock, res light, and salvation maxed. Normal and nightmare have been a breeze, but it's obvious that it will be quite difficult for me to handle light immunes in hell. I was just wondering what secondary route I should go on from here and invest my points to. Also I've got about 50 unused stat points that I'm considering just throwing all into vitality. And keep in mind that all my gear is self found, this is pretty much all untwinked, but I'll be mf'n a lot with him to get good gear. Just hoping to get some of your guys opinions, thanks.

2. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Re: Questions on skills, stats and gear on Tesladin entering Hell

Well, the usual suspects are Holy Shock/Holy Freeze or Holy Shock/Physical (Sacrifice+Zeal). Untwinked I'd prefer the Holy Shock/Holy Freeze way...HF won't allow you to beat monsters on /p8 in Hell, but it quite safe. Furthermore, you don't need a bad-a** weapon to deal damage with Holy Freeze, and since you already maxed Salvation, damage shouldn't be too shabby either.
    I would reconsider my decisioin if I had a high-damage dealing weapon though. Which leads to another question: Are you going 1H or 2H-weapon? For 2H-weapon, again physical seems a bit more suitable, for 1H rather HF (well, at least untwinked). If you're going 1H, don't forget about Holy Shield :)

3. kanonfutter

kanonfutter IncGamers Member

I haven't much experience, but I think that going shield is a big advantage when playing an untwinked paladin. Finding a weapon with enough damage to leech back all the hits will be very difficult, and without holy shield your defence will be way to low to avoid getting hit, no matter the armor. IIRC ~5000 defence is a minimum for considering it viable. Holy freeze gives a bit of crowd control, much needed, and crushing blow is a must if you want to deal out damage when using it.

As for gear, run the countess for an Um if you have the stamina. A Crescent Moon is great value for the money. I was lucky to find a 3os Phase Blade, which is the ideal candidate to put it in. Holy Shield makes a Spirit shield viable if you RWM, and you will find the runes and a 4os paladin shield long before you find the Um. Other than that, it is the usual resistances and high defense, FRW for reposition as crowd control is poor. Zeal is uninterruptable, making FBR and FHR less important (but still). I million things could work it out, especially untwinked.

You might want to stomp NM Baal until your are at least 70, to make life much easier in terms of not getting hit and hitting.

Good luck and tell us your progress,

-Kanonfutter

4. diablo loves donutz

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. Yes, I am going to be going with 1H weapons and a shield since I'm investing some spare points into holy shield to boost my defense. HF seems like more of a viable option for this since my main concern was LI's and HF should not only provide another element, but the added slow factor should greatly help out.

I'll keep you guys updated on his progress and thanks again.

5. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Since you already maxed salvation, holy freeze seems to me to be most prudent choice. I won't verbally spank you for doing mf/rune runs while playing untwinked, playing twinke myself, but it rather does defeat the purpose imo :p

6. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Ha! I knew you'd come back! You can never leave! Muahahahaha! Good to see you around again, and to add some input, I would go with the Holy Freeze route. Shock/Physical only really works if you have a nice weapon to pair it with, and that can be difficult untwinked. The only problem of Shock/Freeze combo can be leech. Yes, HFreeze will slow the majority of things down, but if you're working a crowd, you need to be able to keep yourself more or less alive.

7. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Most effective option would be HF. leech will be a less issue, there are other ways to stay alive other than leech.

8. diablo loves donutz

Hey guys, progress is going great with my Tesladin.

I've gotten through all of act 1 in Hell, but rather than move to act2 I've been doing runs and mfing my butt off in act 1, hey it's untwinked so I need all the gear I can get. Some notable finds have been: Demon's Arch Balrog Spear (Which surprisingly is my current weapon since it's doing a lot more added dmg, ias, and life leech than my previous scepter, plus the use of a javelin has been quite helpful in tough situations, plus a tals mask, duriels shell, angelics, and a spirit protector shield I made with a lot of res.

I've also been able to dump a lot more points in Holy Freeze and I'm now much more durable against LI's.

The entire time though I've been running the countess trying to get some decent runes, maybe even an Um for a crescent moon, but I guess I shot just one too far, I GOT A MAL OFF HER!

I was stunned, I've only gotten one (that being the highest rune drop for me) before and that was on bnet, I'm still stunned.

Now what to make it with......, but I'll keep up my progress with you guys.

9. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

You could abuse the ethereal armour horadric cube recipe, and make a Prudence, for some high defense, self-repairing goodness.

10. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

++

I did this for my melee sorcy. Having 14k+ defense after buffing Shiver Armor really helps with survivability, and a paladin should have no trouble achieving even higher defense.