Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions on MP strategy, exp gain and a jewel

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Llathias, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Questions on MP strategy, exp gain and a jewel

1. We, with 2 real life friends, started a 3 player game last night. We have a pally, a sorc and a necro, all at lvl 13, in act II, with very few skills invested. I'd like your feedback on the strategy. The goal is to maximize all the different types of damage even against resistance/immunities. i was thinking of an avenger, a venomancer and a blizz sorc, meditation as the main aura and lower resist as the main curse. should we also use conviction? how much should we invest in LR (and conviction, if we decide to go with that), since the returns are so little after the first few lvls. also, where should the necro put the extra skills? bone spells for still another type of damage, skellies for some physical, or skeleton mages?

2. i made some testing with my lvl 45 pally in normal Ancients Way, and the Moon Lords (frenzytaurs) give only 98 exp in P1, and the usual multiples in other player settings. a unique and its minions gave 6930 though, in p5. frozen scourges still give the 2000ish exp as well. what is the reason for this reduced experience from Moon Lords? they should give much more according to the battle.net...

3. is this jewel, by any way worth keeping? Shimmering Jewel of Envy: +6 res all, 20 pois dmg in 2 sec, clvl req 12.

i know that's too many questions, but didn't want to spam the forum with multiple threads. you might pick whichever you want to answer :D thanks in advance!

2. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

1. any team with a tank and two types of elemental damages will have little or no difficulty getting trough the game... you guys seem to have both a tank and two types of elemental damages so you should be ok.
    Be prepared though that later in the game the avenger will not be much more then an walking conviction aura and the bliz sorc will own every monster in the game in seconds (probably less :p )
    Unless you really decide to go with meditation as main aura but personally i see no reason why you would do that if you are making an avenger.. and a venomancer and blizsorc are not really mana-eaters either.

2. no clue, will probably have something to do with your pally being a higher level than the regular moon lords.. someone else will vertainly know better then me ^^ try a higher players setting and see if they still give that little xp, they should give more if you put the player number higher i think

3. it's not that an amazing jewel but if you guys are playing untwinked and one of you could use it, by all means use it i'd say

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. I think you're better of with Conviction...Then you can ditch Lower Resist and get some Amplify damage, which will work great for the avenger and the mercs. Also the necros extra points would be well spent in summons to give some good meatshields...although they could be annoying in a MP game...haven't tried it.

2. I'm not sure...they're probably low level compared to the frozen scourges, since exp gets cut drastically if you are much higher/lower level than monsters. Maybe/probably the Battle-net site has some outdated info.

3. It's an excellent jewel for starting out...but later on there are much better alternatives.

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

1. go with conviction. the pally might not gain much from it, but the sorc and necro will become uber. As for builds, i suggest a zealot for physical daamge rather than a avenger. that will give you phys, posion and cold, which can easily dispose of all monsters, and only a few in the whole game will be double immune.
    2. not chekcing the stats of moonlords, it could be because of your level (more than 5 above/below the moonlords Mlevel). Otherwise i dont know why you would be getting such a low EXP per kill, even on P1.
    3. Yes, for a low lvl character its very nice. Although beyond act 2/3 it wont be that noticable.

5. corax

corax IncGamers Member

1. try using the /players # setting so you'll be better levels :D
    if one of you goes a blizz sorc you'll pwn ahead of the other two. go for a hydra/orb combo or something oddball like that so you arent uber powerful

2. bosspacks have a higher mlvl than normal monsters

3. its a nice jewels if you have a spare socket. the max res all is only 15 and melee chars always need psn damage

6. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

conv doesn't lower the poison resists iirc, so the necro would not be very effective unless he uses lower resists.
    Aside from that, amp would not help the avenger that much since his damage is almost all elemental

I agree that extra points from the necro should be spent in summons for more meat shields, if you all have a more or less decent internet connection they should give no problems at all

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I'm not sure about that, i know it doesnt effect magic res, but i thought it did lower poison res as well.
    It mentions magic, but no mention of poison not doing anything.

8. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

Conviction does nothing against poison.

9. Llathias

Llathias Banned

wow! thanks for the very quick response!

since conviction and LR work the same way, i thought one would be enough (looking at the stackability and the diminishing returns now, it's actually a good idea though). because of the existance of poison dmg and the necro's higher versatility in changing curses, LR seemed better. conviction is also very good though. we just want the curses and auras to benefit all characters (ie. no fanatic zealot). skelly mages would do good, i suppose? ah, and since i'm the necro, we can make the sorc less uber :p

i tried the exp thing with different player settings. as i said, it gives the usual multiples of 98 (ie. 196 in p3 and 295 in p5) the gain is less than 5%, which at these levels is rediculous-and probably impossible!

Edit: according to blizz, conviction doesn't lower poison resist

10. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Conviction lowers fire/lgt/cold resists, LR lowers fire/lgt/cold/poison. Nothing lowers resist to magical damage as far as I know :p

edit: doh, pwned by so many

11. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

why not do a tesladin to go with the hydra-orb sorc and the poison necro?

12. isengart

isengart IncGamers Member

The Moon Lords in Normal are mlvl 36 so you were capped in a bad way.
    Frozen Scourge in normal are mlvl 39, you have still been capped here.

Just in case you don't know by now: The host of the game can type the command /players 8 into the chatwindow and the game will simulate a full game with 8 players then. So monsters will have more hp but will give way more xp.
    This works with any player setting between 1 and 8.

I'd follow FB on that one. A zealot is probably the better meleer than an avenger. I have never played a venomancer yet but I doubt that he would be very helpful for your mp group. zealot and blizzard sorc will do the job within parts of seconds.

13. Llathias

Llathias Banned

a very good idea. others are also welcome...

i'll do some more testing, but is less than 5% gain even possible? there was also a formula in the strategy compendium for exp gain, i'll take a look at it after dinner :)

we wanna stick with the all-elemental, almost-no-physical theme for maximum efficiency of lowered resists. blizzard, however, might be changed to something else. necro should certainly not be underpowered! :D

14. Llathias

Llathias Banned

according to the formula here and blizzard's information each Moon Lord killed by my lvl 45 character should give 618 exp. another conclusion from the formula is that the minimum experience gain is 5%, if i did not misunderstand anything.

testing with other monsters in the area (Normal Ancient's Way) showed that Frozen Scourges give 2508 exp and Death Slashers give 1266 at /players 1, and the appropriate multiples in higher /players settings. these results almost perfectly fit the formula (should've been 2512 and 1264, respectively) so i don't know what's wrong with the Moon Lords. it's probably about the lvl difference though, for i remember getting quite decent exp from them. also of interest, the Pit Lords and Venom Lords in Act IV (the inferno balrogs) give something like 38 exp as well...

15. midnightvulture

midnightvulture IncGamers Member

If you're married to the all elemental group, I would go tesladin/meteorb/poison; though without CE or bonespear/spirit it seems like the necro won't kill nearly as quickly as the other two, and might wind up as a curse-lackey...maybe avenger/meteorb/bonemancer or skellimancer would be more fun and balanced? I'm not sure as I play not so much with the multiplayer. On a side note I have just discovered that my cat likes strawberries. Does this strike anyone else as odd?

mv