Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions on lowering monster resistances

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by IvyMike, Sep 28, 2006.

1. IvyMike

IvyMike IncGamers Member

Questions on lowering monster resistances

good morning. im having trouble lowering monster resistances and removing immunities. my first question is: when my merc and sorc are both using pheonix and targeting the same monster why doesnt the "immune to fire" go away? my total - to fire resistance is about 60, and my mercs is 28. is the enough to remove the immunity?

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

The only thing that can remove an elemental immunity is Conviction and Lower Resist. -% enemy resists from your gear cannot remove immunities. Also, any -% resist your merc has on his gear will not benefit you, and vice versa.

3. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

Only Lower Resist and Conviction can break enemy elemental resistances. LR lowers (or breaks, but when breaking, is reduced to 1/5 effectiveness) all elemental resistances, whereas Conviction lowers (or breaks, again at 1/5 effectiveness) only fire, cold and lightning. So when facing immunes, the Conviction on your Infinity will work at -85/5 = -17 at breaking elemental immunes.
    So if the monsters resistance is 117 or higher you will not break its immunity, and items or skills with -resistance will not work

4. IvyMike

IvyMike IncGamers Member

thanks for the info! what do you suggest for getting around immunities? my sorc is using full tals at the moment with 3 fire facets, a pheonix shield, and mage fists. im lvl ** and spend all my points on fire skills. my act2 merc is using a pheonix as well, but if infinity will work better i can trade out the pheonix. if +skills work with act 3 mercs, do facet's +to elemental skill damage also work? and does the minus-to-monster-resistance items that the merc is using increase HIS damage?

5. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Rebuild as a Dual-element Sorc. Fire Sorcs are about as one-dimensional as it gets due to there being so many unbreakable immunes in Hell.

6. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

If you're rich, an infinity merc. If you're not, a wand with lower resist charges.

Yes. Any + skill damage used by a merc, will benefit that merc.

More like it will increase the damage taken by the monsters he attacks, but yea.

7. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Fire sorcs with infinity work a bit better than without anything, but its still not viable to solo at all. There are dozens of fire immunes with 120% or more resistance. Even Infinity + Lower Resist wand won't cover a lot of them. Sorry, you have to add in a 2nd tree attack or bring along a buddy to kill them for you.

The only ways to get around the single tree part in a solo game is either to avoid the immunes (i.e. tele past them) or let your merc kill them.

*I should say that lightning sorcs with conviction do a lot better as there are only about 6 monsters with 120% or more lightning reistance.