Questions for Diablo 2

happy_story

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi people, i have a noob-ish question about Diablo 2. I used to play the game literally all the time when i was a kid, but that was more than 10 years ago, and i have forgotten a lot of stuff. So i started playing the game few weeks ago, i already finished all the quests with the Barbarian, and now with Necromancer again, but i have few questions. Now when i try to enter the game with the Nec, i am given the option to choose between Normal and Nightmare. Hell is not available yet. Do i have to now finish all the quests on a Nightmare mode again in order for Hell to become available? Do i have to literally go through every single quest again, or can i just go for the last boss only?

Also, i currently use the bone spear as my main weapon. It's on 12 level, and the damage it does is about 250. I watched some of the high level Necromancers on YouTube, and some of them were level 80 and their bone spear had something like 3000 damage, and it was on 40 something level. I notice that, with every new level the bone spear damage increases with about 20. So, how is it possible for bone spear to make 3,000 damage on level 40? The math doesn't add up. Are these characters have something else that gives them so much damage, or is it solely the leveling up of the bone spear?

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member
You need to kill the Act boss in each Act of Nightmare before you can enter Hell, but you only need to complete the quests required to achieve this (although completing some optional quests for the rewards is still recommended).

Bone Spear's base damage increases by greater amounts as level increases: +8 per level at levels 1-8, +9 at 9-16, +12-13 at 17-22, +18-19 at 23-28 and +24-25 at > 28. It also gets a synergy bonus of +7% magic damage per point in Teeth, Bone Wall, Bone Prison and Bone Spirit. Level 40 Bone Spear has 612-644 base damage so 3000 minimum damage is possible with 56 points in synergy skills (56 * 7 = +392% or 4.92 times base damage, resulting in ~3011-3169).

happy_story

Diabloii.Net Member
You need to kill the Act boss in each Act of Nightmare before you can enter Hell, but you only need to complete the quests required to achieve this (although completing some optional quests for the rewards is still recommended).

Bone Spear's base damage increases by greater amounts as level increases: +8 per level at levels 1-8, +9 at 9-16, +12-13 at 17-22, +18-19 at 23-28 and +24-25 at > 28. It also gets a synergy bonus of +7% magic damage per point in Teeth, Bone Wall, Bone Prison and Bone Spirit. Level 40 Bone Spear has 612-644 base damage so 3000 minimum damage is possible with 56 points in synergy skills (56 * 7 = +392% or 4.92 times base damage, resulting in ~3011-3169).
Thanks. One last thing. Can you give me some tips on how to gain experience and raise levels faster? I usually go through every map and kill all the monsters, but it can get pretty tiresome and exhausting. Do you kill every monster, even the small ones, or do you head for the big ones only and skip the rest?

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
For more experience: increase player setting https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Player_Settings
and only run areas that are around your own level or a bit higher https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Area_Level

Try to "herd" a group of monsters, kill some off with bone spear, amp the rest and them blow the entire screen of with corpse explosion. If there are two or three monsters remaining, then you can just move on and repeat. You wanna have high number of monsters killed / time. Make sure to focus on the champion/unique monsters first though.

Last edited:

happy_story

Diabloii.Net Member
Try to "herd" a group of monsters, kill some off with bone spear, amp the rest and them blow the entire screen of with corpse explosion. If there are two or three monsters remaining, then you can just move on and repeat. You wanna have high number of monsters killed / time. Make sure to focus on the champion/unique monsters first though.
Thanks. I've never actually heard of the "player settings" before. I just read that page you gave me but it seems that that's only for multiplayer or battle net. I play single player only, so would it be useful to increase the account of how many players are present in the game? I have the latest version 1.14d. What exactly do i have to type in? A little help would be appreciated.