Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions concerning mercenary/hireling and more

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by laban, Mar 25, 2004.

1. laban

laban Banned

Questions concerning mercenary/hireling and more

Greetings. I haven't been around here much though I'm a vivid paladin fan. The etf normally suffice, but this time I have some questions I wont get answered over there. Hope you can help me out. :thumbsup:

First off:

I'm looking for the best match for my PvM Zealot, concerning type of Hireling. I'm undecided between holy freeze, defiance and might (or maybe a better option?).

@ lvl 82

My skills are as follows:

20 zeal
    20 sacrifice
    20 holy shield
    20 fanaticism
    (no vengeance, conviction)

My stats are as follows:

180 str
    200 dex
    380 vit

I am currently using the following gear:

CoA
    Maras / highlords
    BotD
    Stone
    Exile
    Dracs
    Raven (twice)
    Verdungos
    Gores

Charmswise I'm primarily utilizing max/ar/xx (xx = str,dex,life)

The exile provides me with a lvl 16 defiance aura, so I wonder if it's a waste with a defiance merc in that case, or if it is an even better option due to a certain 'stack' ?

Also, as I am already level 82 - does that mean that the merc I deside to go with will have crappy resistances on hell?

If that is the case, will it be best to just keep the merc I already have (@ lvl 7) and try to level that guy (I forgot what type he is >_< but he originates in actII) ?

Any comments regarding the choice of hireling is greatly appreciated, provided that you explain why that specific hireling will suit my zealot best. Also, try to give a hint on how to equip him to accomplish the best result.

---

Other questions:

It has come to my attention that some of the skills in the paladin skill tree reveals certain passive bonusses. Such as AR from Blessed Aim and max res. from Resist Lightning/Cold/Fire. Can anyone shed some light on how these are calculated?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
    Regards
    laban

2. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

i'd definately go with a might mercenary, in your case. you look like you have great equipment and your skill placement is good. the might merc will give you a great boost to your damage.

hiring a defiance mercenary wouldn't help you; the defiance from exile and the merc's defiance won't stack.

a holy freeze mercenary is a fine choice, but in your case, it doesn't seem to be very applicable. you'd really only need this one unless you're playing very defensively and want to be more on the safer side. i.e. slow down monsters so you're hit less.

i'm not sure about the bonus from blessed aim, i'm unaware it had any passive bonuses.

i do know, however, that the individual resist skills such as resist cold, fire, and lightning do give you +1 max resist to that element per skill level.

for example: if you have skill lvl 20 resist lightning, then your max lightning resist would be raised to 95.

these are especialy helpful in the holy shock and holy freeze paladin builds.

i'm not an expert on these new items in 1.1 but here is some idea if you're wealthy enough:

delirium helm, andariels visage, crown of ages, vamp gaze
    reapers toll, bonehew, other high dmg polearm
    any kind of nice high defense armor with resists or stats, life is good.

3. laban

laban Banned

Thanks a lot for the reply Icarus. Two questions regarding the merc issue:

a. Would a HF merc help me handle physical immunes better (thought about equipping with Doom runeword, does the HF from Doom stack with the aura?) If not I guess Doom still is a great alternative for a might merc.

b. Due to my character level the merc of choice, when hired, will be ~lvl 45. Does this affect the resistances and other bonuses compared to if he was hired at a lower level i.e. will he have less AR, resistances and such?

Are you sure about this?
    I've previously read that the ratio was 2 points in a given skill i.e. Resist Cold would result in a +1 to max cold res.
    And if so, does this apply to the +skills from items or are only the actual points selected effective?

I'm confused about this because I tried it. I took 1 point in Resist Lightning while having +3 skills at the current time. The max lightning res. did not increase.

Regards
    laban

4. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

a) the holy freeze aura from a mercenary would cause cold damage to enemies, however it's so miniscule that it's not enough to handle physical immunes.

what i would suggest doing is hiring an act2 might mercenary and equipping him with a doom poleaxe. both the might and holy freeze will activate and work at the same time. this way of stacking auras is very helpful, especially on mercenaries.

b) if you hire a mercenary in normal difficulty and level him up to your level(82), then s/he will have more resistances, life, better stats, and defense than if you simply hired a mercenary in hell difficulty which would already be in the 60-70s. the difference in these attributes is relatively small, and probably not worth the time leveling up a merc from the teens all the way to mid eighties.

since might mercenaries are only available in nightmare, you don't have any choice but to level him up anyway.

i'm not sure if that made complete sense.

i may be mistaken on this. however i have made a shock zealot previously and by putting 20 points into resist lightning, i had my max resists at 95, if i'm not mistaken.

i'm not sure if +skills apply to this.

5. foxnews

foxnews IncGamers Member

Why not try an ethereal 3 soc polearm and make a crescent moon? the lvl 13 static is always nice and the runes are really easy to find.
    Or if you really want a killing maching merc, i'd try ethereal doom weapon on a might merc like the man above stated.

got a andariel visage, shaftstop, and ethereal sundan hone w/ 3 amn runes on my merc. he's just for tanking stuff.

6. laban

laban Banned

Thanks for the answers guys :thumbsup:

I'll go for the Might merc then.

His equipment will most likely be:
    eth gaze
    eth cryptic @ Doom
    eth sacred @ Stone

By the way, I hired the lowest level possible (44) and I'd like to know how much life/res. I've missed out on, if anyone has a nifty way of figuring this out.

I'll be getting my very own disco-merc with Might, Holy Freeze, Defiance and Fanaticism :lol:

Regards
    laban

7. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

the thing is, you won't be missing out on any stats. mercenaries in act2 from normal and hell difficulties are the same. there's no way to hire a might merc from normal mode, so you wouldn't be mising out on attributes and resists.

lets say you hired some act2 merc in normal and he went through the game with you up to lvl 82. he would have higher stats than if you just hired a higher lvl one from hell difficulty of the same type.

hope that made a little more sense. o_O

edit:

for might:
    Aura Level/Level Acquired
    1/19
    2/23
    3/27
    4/31
    5/35
    6/39
    7/43
    8/47
    9/51
    10/55
    11/59
    12/63
    13/67
    14/71
    15/75
    16/79
    17/83
    18/87
    19/91
    20/95

8. laban

laban Banned

So you're saying that my mercs final stats does depend on when he was hired. But also that it doesn't apply to my might merc as he could only be obtained in nm mode?

But:

I could have hired my merc being at a lower level myself i.e. 10. Thus having a nm might merc at corresponding level. I would then have to level him manually, which would naturally be a hassle and take time, but wouldn't he eventually end up with better stats?

This is theoretically, as I wasn't even close to nm difficulty at level 10, but in theory I could be in even hell...

Regards
    laban

edit: Oh, and thanks for adding the info on the aura level. I had been looking for that, but forgot to ask. Nice touch :thumbsup: