Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

questions about superior mod

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by slam, Jun 24, 2005.

1. slam

slam Diabloii.Net Member

questions about superior mod

what % extra defense/damage does superior add?

on armor, does it do dextra defense and extra durability or just one?

and just for some examples using common socketables for runewords:

what would be the best possible numbers on a superior breast plate

what would be the best possible numbers on an ethereal superior berserker axe

(not that i'll be making those any time soon)

thanks

2. RTB

RTB Diabloii.Net Member

5 - 15% enhanced defense/damage and 5 - 15% enhanced durability. Armor can have both. If a weapon doesn't have enough base dmg for additional dmg, a +1 to max dmg is displayed (and added) instead.

3. slam

slam Diabloii.Net Member

what do you mean by not having enough base damage?

4. Thrugg

Thrugg Diabloii.Net Member

A Short Sword doing 2-7 damage getting a 5% ed bonus is going to do 2.1-7.35 damage, which will round back down to 2-7. In this case it will get +1 max instead, so 2-8.

It is unlikely to matter to the vast majority of weapons.

5. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

Superior with enhanced defense also automatically cranks up the base defense of any armor to the maximum possible. Likewise with flawed, cracked, crude, low quatlity items having the minimum possible before additional penalties are applied. That way superior ED armor always has more def than regular armor and low quality armors are always worse than normal armor. For that reason I never use the repair low quality horadric recipe on armor since it will just have the lowest def possible anyway.

6. gorey

gorey Diabloii.Net Member

I wonder if your last statement is correct. I seem to remember getting a 520 archon out of a low quality one with the cube recipie. But my memory could be mistaken.

*captainsham

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Fixed low quality armor will get a new, random defense. It will get the minimum number of sockets which is 3 for archon plates and being the point of doing that.

8. superdave

superdave Diabloii.Net Member

don't forget the +1 to +3 to a/r attached to sup bows

9. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

Really? Must have had really bad luck then. I fixed an Archon and I'm pretty sure it's def was 410.

10. slam

slam Diabloii.Net Member

incidentally, does the game round down for all calculations?

11. Thrugg

Thrugg Diabloii.Net Member

I'm sure I was just asked this question a minute ago :lol:

More or less, yes. The game almost never calculates fractions at all. It was written in 1999, back then computers' integer math was much faster than floating point (nowadays there isn't much between them) and D2 has to work out a lot of stuff each frame. So it was designed to always use integers.

When you divide an integer by an integer to get another integer, you round down. Strictly speaking, you never even get the fraction you are rounding, you quite simply say: 10/3 = 3. Three 3s fit inside 10, 4 don't.

So to work out whether to round up or down in D2 you need to know exactly how the formula is written. Whenever a percentage is used, eg here we have 5%, Diablo is actually multiplying by 5 then dividing by 100. So 5% of 7 is 7*5 = 35 then 35/100 = 0. It never even gets to 7.35 and then rounds, it simply thinks 5% of 7 is nothing.

You need to be careful though sometimes. In another thread I used a formula:
    chance = base - [(ilvl - qlvl) / divisor]
    Without caring what those numbers actually mean, the point is that the division is followed by a subtraction, so you round the division down, but that means you subtract less, so the final answer is more - so overall it looks like rounding up. To get it right you really have to go step by step.

One thing you can be 100% sure of is that D2 never rounds 0.51 up and 0.49 down. It is always truncation of the entire fraction.

12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I'm quite sure about it as well, but I adsmit that I did that only once so far (with an archon plate... it turned out to become a crappy one, although not perfectly bad IIRC), but I have a cracked sacred armor on my mules. I will fix it and we will see..

13. RTB

RTB Diabloii.Net Member

All weapons actually. But you can only get 2 out of 3 superior mods.

Going from Cracked to normal randomizes the defense for armors.

14. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

What the [insert long text consisting of illegal curse words here] is up with the repair cost added for that tiny +2 AR you get from a superior mod (mostly when making rune words) ??

I have a "Honor" Divine Scepter that I use when tweaking paladins (use that from lvl 27 to 47, then using rares or something). Its repair cost is in the hundreds of thousands (or at least very very expensive) when broke, even with no staffmods on it...