Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

questions about paladin sub-classes

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Artagas, May 12, 2005.

1. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

questions about paladin sub-classes

For a long time i was convinced that paladins are the class that would absolutely bore me to tears, so never really tought about starting one. In the last few days though, my mf crew (a meteorb and a fishymancer) bumped into a HoZ and a Guardian Angel which i took as a heavenly sign that i should give it a try anyways. I only have limited gear in my possession on the other hand, so i would like to pick a sub-class that is not only fun to play, but that i can gear up more or less properly (so it is at least remotely viable solo-ing hell). This is why i would like some suggestions. My main issue is that zealots (or frost zealots) sound like fun but i dont have really damaging one-handed weapons. The best i could give him is probably Baranar's (i also have Lightsabre and Azurewrath in the sword department but those don't look like great zealot weapons at a first glance) Schaffer's and Stormlash are both missing from my collection. I tought about making a crescent moon (i got the runes for that) phaseblade, which would be a really nice weapon for a tesladin (or some variant of it) but i am not sure if it would be a fun char for solo, with all the LIs on hell. The crescent moon would be a proper weapon for an avanger too i suppose but i have no clue how those guys manage crowd control...any experience with them? As for hammerdins...well...um, no way. Clerics are out of the question too, since i solo a lot more than i play mp.
    For the rest of his gear i could give him a nice helmet (shako, rockstopper, gaze, anduriel's or maybe delirium), some lame belt (dont have much, nosferatu's or archanid mesh...maybe IK or just some rare with resists) tearhunch, some IAS gloves, resist rings with some leech and a +1 skill ammy (or possibly metalgrid). So do you think I can set up a 'din properly with what i have, and if so, which build, or should i just keep on mf-ing a bit more? Any thoughts appreciated.

p.s.: yeah, i did read the guides.
    p.s2: yeah, i do have a hard time making my mind up about...well...anything:p

2. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

a avenger wearing GA HoZ and andys helm + enough res gear from other sorces can get up to 95% res all(wearing a tgods and possible lightsabre means the gloams have a chance of healing you too).

sure you will attack slow but nothing can totaly resist your attack and ar wont be a issue. Azurewrath would work good on a avenger i think. Its low base damage might scare you but with it you will deal all kinds of damage except for poison. That it boosts your stats is very fast and give you +1 all skills is just icing on the cake. I heard people praise it as the most damaging unique for avengers despit its low physical damage.

if i remember right the sanctuary aura from Azurewrath also break any undead that are PI. But im not 100% sure on that.

most avengers i played used hf mercs to handle crowds.

by walking you ensure that your block is always fully functional(that is not the case when you run, but i think you already know this)

it also has the added benifit that you are less likely to run head in into a large group of monsters.

ohh and before i forget it remember that conviction does not go over -150% res so getting it above that is a waste of skills.

you could create the dedicated gloam killer with this char:cool:

if you mp in the wsk im sure people would like to party up with such a char:thumbsup:

i know i would

3. HolyPade

HolyPade IncGamers Member

One good (relatively cheap) avenger weapon is Rune Master with +ED% jewels as the vengeance skill uses the actual physical damage as a base for the +elemental damage.
    I've got on my avenger (A4 Hell) 4-socket Rune Master with +ED jewels and the damage is around 1.7k-3.6k. It would be better with 5-socket version and better jewels, but I'm not that rich. :(
    The avenger has been fun to play with HF merc equipped with Reaper's Toll for the Decrepify. The two of them can break most of the immunities and all the elemental based people will love you on MP. :lol:

4. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

the only real requirement for a frost zealot/tesladin is crushing blow, i remember reading one guide that said a crushflange was a viable endgame weapon due to its crushing blow, besides the important part is the cold/lightning damage not the physical.

5. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

"The two of them can break most of immunities"? Decrep breaks any immunities?
    Or did i misunderstand you?

Speaking of merc-s. if i get a might merc for an avanger does that do anything to my elemental damage? Or is the elemental damage calculated before might is applied?

6. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Decrep breaks* physical immunities and Avenger's main aura Conviction breaks* elemental immunities.

*Not all but most of them

7. HolyPade

HolyPade IncGamers Member

I think Hrus explained it nicely in another thread:

Decrepify works the same way but isn't as effective as Amp damage. I think it's 1/5 ratio as with the rest of them.

And yes, as Toppo said, it's the Conviction aura that my avenger is using that breaks most of the elemental immunities. Sorry for the unclarity (is this a word?)

8. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Oh, no, you were clear, i got the conviction part, i just didn't realize decrep would break immunities like AD, if PI goes below 100 (dunno' why i didn't, it is kind of logical now that i think about it)
    So you all vote Avanger?

9. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

If you can make CM pb, I'd recommand a tesladin.

In my own experience, there is really no point to get 95 resist all. Sure it sounds good when you are telling it to other players, but besides lighting, other elemental damage dosen't do enough damage to justify getting 95% resist. 80% is plenty with leech. Lighting from gloams is the only thing worth concern, and using a thundergod's you have 90% lighting with abosrb, which is enough to shut up all the gloams out there save the conviction boss.

Tekkazero, who loves play avengers, and made tons of them, didn't think GA is necessary either, he used a ormus' robe instead.

10. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

i vote for avenger:)

also if you have war travlers put them on him and look at the difference in damage in disbelif:D they are sweet boots for a avenger.

also remember that if you use Azurewrath the cold damage will be much higher due to your conviction aura.

the lying character screen (LCS) dont tell the whole story about vengenze damage either. its much higher then what is shown.

here is a example from Asmodeous Avenger guide(you wont find it here)
    now that is the damage without even factoring in conviction so in reality its much higher.

its adviced to dont max vengenze at the start too. if you pump the res auras(synergies) to min lev 10 instead you get a damage boost to vengenze while keeping its mana cost down+extra% of max res(lev 10 in all res auras should grant you 85% res all without any gear that up max res) and its also very useful when attacked by monsters that use high damage elementar attacks.

a level 10 res lightning gives you and your party +113% res lightning whitch should healp greatly agaisnt gloam type monsters like burnings souls.

if you decide to max all res auras instead of vengenze switching to res lighting against gloams would give a party member who have a total res of 175% lit res(that is equal to 75% res lit in hell due to the -100 res all you get there) 306% lit res.

Now with that amount of lit res not even a conviction gloam pack pose much of a threat as the max they can lower your res with is either 125% or 150%

now with -125% res due to the gloams conviction aura your party member would still have 181 total res witch equal to 81% res lightning in hell.

if conviction would be -150% res all they would still have 56% res lightning. that is far better then what they would have off their own.
    Thats why a avenger is a great party player too.

you as a avenger might even have 95% res all even after conviction:D

11. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

Nord's Tenderizer or Stonecrusher are nice weapon's for a zealot :D
    CM Phase Blade is nice for a tesladin.
    Heaven's Light is a nice weapon for Frostadin, for an Avenger you need a weapon with good physical damage.
    For elemental builds you want a fast weapon and some CB.

Hoz and GA are a good start for most paladins Builds.