Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions about mercs

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Ministrie, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Ministrie

Ministrie IncGamers Member

Questions about mercs

Ok so I guess this must get asked alot, what the best way to lvl a merc, not neccisarily the fastest, but the best.
    Does the game make a sound when the merc lvl's like when you do.

Second question.

Is it better to start a merc in normal and lvl it up to hell or just upgrade to a better merc when you hit nightmare then hell?
    Thanks!

Min

2. Compman

Compman IncGamers Member

------------------------

3. Ministrie

Ministrie IncGamers Member

Thank you Sir.

4. londra

londra IncGamers Member

The best mercs are in nightmare act 2. If you want more damage, hire the offensive one. Deffensive merc will freeze your enemies. Well i have always lvled my mercs just like i lvl myself. Just do what you usually do(quests, runs). It works fine(usually he levels faster then I) When your merc lvls he will have a message over his head, like "I feel much stronger now"

Hope it helps :wave:

5. Glovebait

Glovebait IncGamers Member

Keeping a merc with you throughout the game is by far the easiest way todo it since he will follow your progression..however..most people like using the ActII NM mercs because they have some nice auras that they share with you..like Holy freeze for instance. So in this case what happens is once they get to NM they hire the merc they want and lvl him up as they need/when they want. Since your merc gets exp from your kills its as simple as killin lots of stuff everywhere..the trick is to try and keep your merc from tanking himself to death at low lvls (this isn't as much an issue if you take a merc through the whole game with you). I've found places like the Arcane sanctuary and the maggot lair are good for this since its narrow and you can block for your merc as needed. If you need info about whet the different merc are and what their abilities are check here:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/hirelings.shtml

6. hotpanfight

hotpanfight IncGamers Member

For defense, the best merc is the act one normal defiance merc, leveled up all the way with you. But, it's always fun to try others.....