Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions about CL/FO sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by BattZ, Feb 4, 2004.

1. BattZ

BattZ IncGamers Member

Questions about CL/FO sorc

I quit playing D2X about a year ago and just started playing again yesterday when I heard that the new patch was released. I think I'm gonna build a CL/FO sorc first. I read some of the builds for this type of sorc, but how much have these abilities really changed in 1.10? Any help would be useful.

2. vigz0r

vigz0r IncGamers Member

I made a CL/Orb sorc following that guide about a week ago, right now she is 85, and its pretty fun. I dont really like chain lightning/lightning. The damage is so low most of the time (1-5 base) that I find myself using orb 90% of the time. When I do use chain lightning, it takes alot more casts then orb and alot more mana. Wish I went nova or something else other then CL at this point.

3. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

No you don't. Nova is just plain not good in 1.10.

Seriously, I can't stress this point enough: The Lightning Tree is all about +skills

Get a ton of them. +10 at least. You can survive and do ok with +5 but the more you get the more your damage grows.

As an example, with +12 skills I can take out Shenk's pack in about 8 casts, or 4 seconds. A single CL cast in the Pit against Devilkin will wipe almost all of them out.

+skills - get them.

4. BattZ

BattZ IncGamers Member

does the casting speed still work the same?

5. Celandro

Celandro IncGamers Member

Casting speed is now based on FCR. Also, a dedicated chain lightning build is viable, although immunes will always be a problem in single player... Actually they are a pain in 8 player games too when you are sitting around in throne of destruction waiting for the 5 lightning immunes to be killed after youve killed the 20 other monsters in the area ;). And yes, +skills is key to lightning damage, but - enemy lightning resist is even more important, although less important for a CL/FO build. It works just like cold mastery does but for lightning spells and everyone knows how good cold mastery is :).

6. vigz0r

vigz0r IncGamers Member

I have +14 light, and yes I can take out packs of mobs fairly quick if I just spam it, but its fairly mana intensive and I STILL find myself using frost orb more. My level 1 nova with +14 does over 700, and casts extremely fast. I think the big problem with CL is that it doesnt bounce the full number of times a majority of the times. That and the 5 base damage doesnt help.

7. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

When you consider CL, you need to take average damage. Take its max and divide by 2, because that's about what you will be doing with every cast.

Against groups: If you open with FO, then CL, CL, then FO to mop up its not a problem. You can cast ~2 CL per second so really, damage in one second over all targets is going to be average...except in rare cases.

Against Singles: You shouldn't be using CL against single monsters. Use FO and L. I use FO, CL, and L all the time and almost equally. They all have their uses.

CL is balanced with Meteor in the respect that meteor takes 2 seconds to hit the ground and 1.3 seconds on a timer so you can't spam it. CL on the other hand is very spammable allowing you to cast it repeatedly.

Remember, a good strategy is to open with FO, cast CL a few times and then mop up with another FO. This offsets FOs casting delay allowing you to do constant, continuing damage.

8. Bootz24

Bootz24 IncGamers Member

Why not Nova as a secondary skill rather than lightning.... both offer CL synergystic bonuses and Nova is a ton fast with a better area effect.

You would mainly be using Lightning for single monster kills anyway, Nova might just do the trick.

Anyone have a number off hand for Lvl 30 Nova with Lvl 30 Mastery?

Boots

9. Nirlem

Nirlem IncGamers Member

lvl 30 nova+ lvl 30 mastery

1100-1484 damage
    44 mana

10. ivasar

ivasar IncGamers Member

Well, the first sorc I made on 1.10 was FO/Nova, and she totally RULES in 1-3 palyers games. Cold inmunes are wiped with the nova as fast as the rest with the orb. The problem comes in 3+ player games, where nova is no good for killing, although with some patience and my thunder storm + merc I manage to deal with all the cold inmune punks around. But once again, she owns mf runs (she is currently lvl **, but doing great mf runs since 82...)

11. Canoe

Canoe IncGamers Member

Have to agree with Monk

First off - thanks for the guide monk. I'm an old old school Diablo 1 player, and pretty much stopped playing Diablo II when the expansion came out a long time ago, and just recently came back to the game.

To be honest I wasn't a believer in the CL/FO mix until about lvl 80, and 60+% FCR... I totally own the pit now, with crappy gear (my first char here, and i'm not very good / adept at trading).

CL with the FCR you can spam it so fast..... huge groups of enemies are dead in no time - and FO is great for the champs/uniques/act bosses.

Just wanted to send my thanks to monk, and stress the fact that this is a very viable build - and a ton of fun once you break 20 CL / 20 LM and 60-70% FCR :)

12. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

Thanks, glad to hear you are enjoying your sorc :)

Well, if you know what you are doing, you can try a nova build. Since it has no synergies that help it, the damage isn't that great in hell. It does give CL a nice synergy but Lightning is much more useful as a synergy and with limited skill points for dual cold/light sorcs, every point counts and lightning gives more bang for your buck as it gives and recieves synergies.

And ouch!! 44 mana?! That rivals CL sure, but you would need to cast twice as many Novas to kill a pack of monsters with that crap damage.

I will take my 2338 average damage per arc CL over Nova anyday.