Questions about chargeadin(skills+gear setup)

AnsuzTheJellyBean

Diabloii.Net Member
Questions about chargeadin(skills+gear setup)

Greetings all!
I've decided to make a PvP charger, and is looking for a bit of help.
The 'core' of my build will ofcourse be 20 in Charge, Vigor and Might. Does conviction -def works in PvP, making even high def characters a piece of cake to hit? If so, would it be viable to go with Conviction as main aura, and then Vengeance as secondary attack? Going with a 2h of some sort, by the way.

What about general PvC setup? Thinking about eBotd or eDeath WP/TM, highlords, 1xraven, and a couple of sandstorm treks. But what about the rest of the gear?

I should go for dual Angelic rings + ammy you really need to have the Ar boost to even stand a chance vs high def barbs and smiters.

For the rest of the eq use a high def Fortitude (since you need high str for your weapon you can take a heavy armor) Coa, Steelrend for the ED, Verdungo and Gore Rider :)

The Skillpart I don't know.. (yet) :wink3:

AnsuzTheJellyBean

Diabloii.Net Member
What is the point of stacking lots of off-weapon ED? Charge already gives 2000+ ED%, so Forti and Steelrends are really just a drop in the bucket..

Does conviction -def works in PvP, making even high def characters a piece of cake to hit?
Yes it works, but not very effective. If conviction reduces defense by 95% and a pally has 1400% enhanced defense, then the difference between 1305 and 1400 for him is not significant at all.

It will work fine for any char that doesnt have a lot of enhanced defense, but those are usually low def characters which u shouldnt have any problem hitting. If a char has lots of ed, like pally w/ holy shield, or barb with shout and lots of points in defense skill, then your 95% reduced defense will not make a big difference.

Yes it works, but not very effective. If conviction reduces defense by 95% and a pally has 1400% enhanced defense, then the difference between 1305 and 1400 for him is not significant at all.

It will work fine for any char that doesnt have a lot of enhanced defense, but those are usually low def characters which u shouldnt have any problem hitting. If a char has lots of ed, like pally w/ holy shield, or barb with shout and lots of points in defense skill, then your 95% reduced defense will not make a big difference.
the -95% is from the enemies total defense, AFTER their bonuses apply. Conviction would be great to lower enemy defense, but then you arent helping your charge damage with your aura.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
the -95% is from the enemies total defense, AFTER their bonuses apply. Conviction would be great to lower enemy defense, but then you arent helping your charge damage with your aura.
Incorrect.

First off, the -95% enemy defense is ADDITIVE with any +ED% bonuses the enemy might have. In other words, Conviction would work exactly like urmomscornbread described it against Holy Shield Paladins. In PvM play, it rarely makes a difference, but if you run into a Stone Skin monster (+200% defense), then Conviction will apply additively, meaning even after Conviction the monster will have more than double its base defense.

Second off, Conviction will increase your damage dealing. If you deal 10,000 damage with a 70% chance to hit, you'll average 7,000 damage per Charge. If you deal 7500 damage with a 95% chance to hit, you'll average 7125 damage per charge. Sometimes boosting your chance-to-hit will wind up boosting your damage output far more than boosting your damage itself would.

Incorrect.

First off, the -95% enemy defense is ADDITIVE with any +ED% bonuses the enemy might have. In other words, Conviction would work exactly like urmomscornbread described it against Holy Shield Paladins. In PvM play, it rarely makes a difference, but if you run into a Stone Skin monster (+200% defense), then Conviction will apply additively, meaning even after Conviction the monster will have more than double its base defense.

Second off, Conviction will increase your damage dealing. If you deal 10,000 damage with a 70% chance to hit, you'll average 7,000 damage per Charge. If you deal 7500 damage with a 95% chance to hit, you'll average 7125 damage per charge. Sometimes boosting your chance-to-hit will wind up boosting your damage output far more than boosting your damage itself would.
Huh, i had not realized that...
But the argument that conviction boosts your physical damage is a bit odd. Obviously a higher chance to hit increases damage dealing, but if damage is your main concern, its probably better to go with a pair of angelics to reach that 95% or just use an ITD weapon. Its much easier to find AR on gear than it is to find sources of enhanced damage.

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
Huh, i had not realized that...
But the argument that conviction boosts your physical damage is a bit odd. Obviously a higher chance to hit increases damage dealing, but if damage is your main concern, its probably better to go with a pair of angelics to reach that 95% or just use an ITD weapon. Its much easier to find AR on gear than it is to find sources of enhanced damage.
ITD doesn't work in PvP.

2 Angelic rings means no Raven Frost, which means you need CBF elsewhere (Gladiator's Bane, Cham rune.) A Cham in a CoA means 1 less Ber, which means 8% less DR. A Charger without CBF isn't smart. You're a character that makes fruitious use of running speed to beat opponents.

ITD doesn't work in PvP.

2 Angelic rings means no Raven Frost, which means you need CBF elsewhere (Gladiator's Bane, Cham rune.) A Cham in a CoA means 1 less Ber, which means 8% less DR. A Charger without CBF isn't smart. You're a character that makes fruitious use of running speed to beat opponents.
My answer wasnt specific to Pvp, im very aware ITD doesnt work in pvp.

And if you are advocating a Pvp charger using conviction for the -95% defense (which we have already established is not very effective in PvP against high defense characters, so youll need the AR anyways), then I dont know what to tell you but that that build will suck.

Fists of War

Diabloii.Net Member
What about holy freeze for PvP? Although if you are going for vengeance as a main attack the benefits of conviction will be two-fold as it will help both vengeance and charge...