Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions about a Lord of Mages

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by sad, Jun 4, 2005.

1. sad

sad IncGamers Member

Questions about a Lord of Mages

I am planning on making a lord of mages, but I am not familiar with all of thier skills. I was think that I wuold max mages and skeleton mastery, get lower resist for sure, and i wasn't too positive about what to do next.
    I thought that I should pump Dim vision or put at least a few points into it so I can shut down ranged attackers.

What is after that? Should I use warriors to keep the monsters off of my mages? I thought that a bonewall might be better and would synergize a bone armor so I didn't know. If I used warriors then I am kind of a zookeeper that jsut uses lower resist instead of amp. I will definantely put at least one point into corpse explosion. If I used bonewall and pumped bonespear would i do enough damage to help out my mages? Would I need to use marrowalks to do so? Any help would be appreciated, and I didn't see a Lord of Mages guide, so I hope I am not bothering too many people.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I'd use both Mages and Poison, since both work with Lower Resist, also Poison requires less synergies than Bone skills. Don't put too many points in Lower Resists since the returns on higher levels is pretty bad. Also you can just do a search for Lord of mages...just press "search this forum" and type lord of mages, you'll find many threads discussing the subject.

3. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

Hmm... in order:

You said max mages and mastery... be aware that (because of the information on the Arreat Summit) that is considered the wrong order to do it in, max mastery first. (Actually it might be an interesting challenge to try this, putting half a dozen points into mastery then maxing mages, then finishing off mastery, or maybe alternating 1 for 1 between them...)

Dim Vision is okay. I've got at least one LoM character tootling around with DV as his main curse (instead of Lower Resist). But its *slow*. It doesn't help that I was mixing mages + DV (after maxing mastery first of course), in retrospect next time I'd try maxing mastery and mages before working on DV. And anyway mages properly played don't need the extra defense.

Warriors? Good grief... no no no a thousand times no. Use Revives instead (more damage, more hot points, and a lot cheaper on the skills). Also do not neglect Lower Resist. So basically you put a single point into all the summons, with more in:
    Skel Mastery (20)
    Mages (19 or 20 - depending on +skills end game gear)
    Revive 1+ (half a dozen is good, more is better)

Bonewall + Bonespear gives you the advantage of having all 6 different types of damage as ranged attacks. But the points are tight. If you want to do that try to find a two socket wand with +Lower Resists to make White, and also try to get the Marrowalks boots... I suggest your damage with Bone Spear will be too low otherwise. Actually, if you (ab)use an Insight polearm, maybe Teeth would be better than Bone Spear (teeth also works really well with Wall), though a case could be made for Bone Spirit (on the theory that the thing most likely to give your minions trouble are things like turbo charged Bosses and the Prime Evils (which is the other reason Revives are better than Warriors for this build)).

A big corpse explosion is one direction I don't think I've taken the LoM in, but it should work well if you have the mana to supply it. Mages tend to concentrate their fire on whatever is closest, so in theory you should be able to get a corpse faster than a skellimancer, even though skeletons do more damage (actually, they deal less damage than mages in normal and nightmare, but hell solves several of the problems with the skeleton AI because the monsters are tougher and so they spend mroe time in combat and less time running around clueless, also that is when immunities kick in, which is pretty much a kick in the crotch to the LoM (ie it doesn't kill you but its not pleasant either)).

Also CE is a very party friendly spell. (As is Dim Vision) By contrast the other players will likely *hate* your bonewalls if you go in that direction instead.

There were a bunch of guides, but they were never stickied and so are hard to find. The LoM is quite misunderstood, and one of the problems is that whenever a guide gets posted people expect that that is the latest uber character, and it confuses some and upsets others because LoM isn't a fast killing death machine that pownzors all others in duelling.

Its not worth my trying to recollate and repost here, partly because of the 10k character limit on posts. (I have well over 100k of LoM info) Secondly because Mad Mantis said they were crap. So just keep nagging him, he often pops into the LoM threads and posts links to them anyway. Seems he prefers to do things that way.
    :thumbsup:
    :clap:

4. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

They were crap because you had the info spread out over five different threads and a lot of it was redundant. Then info in it was solid and well researched. I tried to collect all the info from those different threads once to create a new guide, but I found it too much work.