Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by mod1112, Apr 2, 2004.

1. mod1112

mod1112 IncGamers Member

Question

What is the best overall weapon for a conc barb in normal?
    What should I socket, the Larzuk quest in normal?
    How high can my resistances go right now they are at 75 and won't go any higher in normal?

Thanks

2. Barker2131

Barker2131 IncGamers Member

In normal it doesnt make much different. when u hit 25 u baal and before u know it yur in nm. however for the time yur in normla, i suggest pretty much any 2 handed weapon that does the highest damage.

resistances wont go higher then 75, (unless u have +max resistances) but remeber when u hit nm, they go down -50

id save the lurzak quest for some item ull be using in the end of the game. for example. earlier i just used my normal lurzak quest to socket my Grandfather my barb uses.

3. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Barker pretty much covered it all. Save your larzuk socket, just use what you find in normal, and resists cap at 75%, unless you have items that raise your cap (like the Guardian Angel). Also, like he mentioned, remember that while playing in nightmare, you have a -50 resist penalty, and -100 in hell.

-Hal

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

if this is your first barb (first overall char perhaps?) then i would do things a little differently:

immediately socket something with your lazruk quest. you should have kept your eye out for a good barb helm (those that say "barbarian only") with +skills on it with a white name (not grey.) all barb helms get the max sockets (3) if socketted by lazruk with a white name.

the best skills to get would be:
    +3 to the wep mastery you are using,
    +3 to battle orders, and/or
    +3 to your main combat skill.

don't wait for one with +9 total (you can get 3 random skills, each one being +1-3) as these are hugely expensive to repair.

put perfect topazes into the helm. if you do not have 3 perf topazes yet, wait. do not use flawless or normal or worse, as this helm will probably accompany you through hell.

the fastest way to get perfect gems is to not cube flawless. once you get a flawless, run around a1 until you find a gem shrine and upgrade it. this can save you days.

as right now you are probably hurting for damage, you might want to get a better wep. i would recommend using the lazruk quest to get a better weapon only in this situation.

go to www.battle.net/diablo2exp and find the item section that is the same as the wep mastery you have chosen. from there, go to the exceptional and elite pages. in late act 5, it is possible to get some low-end elite weps.

what i would recommend is a tyrant club, again white. lazruk will put 3 sockets into it, and you can use the black runeword (thul, io, nef.) this club has taken me through hell on 2 different characters. the crushing blow and speed makes up for the damage.

to get these runes, go back to arreat summit (the webpage i mentioned) and click on items->horadric cube. there, scroll near the bottom and check out the rune upgrading recipies. on the ladder, you can cube an io from lower runes. in regular battlenet, you can't. but, if you get a sol, amn or shael, i'm sure you can trade it for one.

to get more runes, do countess runs.

do NOT use the quest for body armor. there is no armor you can find or make at this point that requires using the quest. you can easily buy 2s and 3s armor from a2 and socket it with some of the jewels you've found.

at arreats, click on the crafted items section. blood crafts are the untwinked char's best friend. do not do belts yet, unless you find an exceptional demonhide sash (same pic as "sash") or buy one from a1 nightmare.

what you should do is look at blood helms, gloves, and armor. if you can, craft a blood helm and platemail right away, as these can be given to a merc later.

if you need more help, ask away.

5. Dealane

Dealane IncGamers Member

Great post but i have a question. How do you use a gem shrine to upgrade a flawless to a perfect?

6. Crogon

Crogon IncGamers Member

if you have a flawless ruby (for example) and touch a gem shrine, you're flawless ruby will be flung onto the ground and turn into a perfect ruby. However, dont bother running around looking for a gem shrine. Keep 1 flawless on you just in case you run across one though. From act 5 normal onward you can collect plenty of flawlesses, put 3 in your cube to make a perfect one.

At any rate, please ignore all that non-sense. You should NEVER waste a socket quest on something you won't be using in the end of the game. Use them on 'the best possible' type items for you're character. You will be kicking yourself later if you don't.

IF you're having issues with weapons, you can waste Charsi's imbue quest and probably get a better weapon than you can find. However, most people horde white diaidems and coronas to have her imbue after you hit lvl 90. At that point you could get a godly circlet off of her.

If you find enough items with the attribute '+ maximum ____ resist' you can get up to 95% resistance, but not over. However, there isn't much benefit in seeking out items like that for a barbarian, you want to watch for items that 'absorb __ ____ damage' or better yet absorb __% _____ damage'. You can get up to 40% elemental absorb in each element, so if you could collect items which give you absorbs 40% fire damage AND absorbs 30-40 fire damage, you could end up being fire immune, for example.

7. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

how rude.

first of all, what i suggested were items that would take an untwinked char to the endgame, also allowing them to get eq for other chars and themselves. i have tested this, untwinked, in .09 sc, .09 hc, .10 beta, and .10 ladder (twice, again after all my mules expired.)

secondly, new people don't know what "the best possible" items are, even if they have them (which they won't.) they need items to help them now, not later.

thirdly, the quest is not that hard to get. you make it sound like you'll never get any more. just last week, i levelled 3 chars from a1-a4 hell in about an hour each, and 1 char from norm a1 to hell a5 in around 12 hours (getting 4 guls and an um from nm hellforge, btw. :))

8. Crogon

Crogon IncGamers Member

o yeh, and those +9 helms are so common they starting to become a nuicance that you hafta throw them on the ground.

i almost bought yer story until you said you got 4 guls on 4 consecutive forge runs. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.