Question: Runeword for my merc

Bert

Diabloii.Net Member
Question: Runeword for my merc

Hi!

1) I found an eth CV and socketed it so it has 4 sockets.

What should I make from it?

2) I also have a non eth 5 soc thresher.

Should I make Doom in it? Or should i wait until i get my hands on an ethereal one?

Doom gives a frost aura, does it act as the pala frost aura or as the merc's frost aura?

The Merc's aura freezes almost everything (even the cold imunes) while the pala's aura is useless against cold imunes.

Bert
 

dang79

Diabloii.Net Member
You might be mistaken, both auras are essentially the same

The paladin holy freeze aura also freezes cold immunes, just that the cold damage added to each attack will have no effect.

The only effect holy freeze has on cold immunes is the "slows enemy by XX%"

Same for merc and paladin IIRC.
 

Bert

Diabloii.Net Member
dang79 said:
You might be mistaken, both auras are essentially the same
Are you really sure about that?

I'm pretty sure my teslafroster can't freeze cold imunes...

But then again, he is doing mule duty so it's a long time ago i played with him :lol:

Bert
 

Bullet-Tooth Tony

Diabloii.Net Member
The the thing is that slowing is an effect carried by any kind of cold damage. Cold immunes are immune to this damage and the effect can't be applied to them.
In the case of Holy Freeze slowing effect seems to be carried by AURA, not cold damage it deals. The monster is not immune to aura and he can be slowed by it.
The problem is that monsters have a property "cold effectiveness", which means how much they are slowed by cold or HF. In Hell, in general, monsters are slowed worse than in Normal (because cold effectiveness is lower). Some monsters are completely immune to being slowed, wether it's cold damage or Holy Freeze.
 

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Bullet-Tooth Tony said:
Some monsters are completely immune to being slowed, wether it's cold damage or Holy Freeze.
You are completely right in your post, but this one thing could get a little confusing, since they are not completely immune to being slowed.
Keep in mind that there are items with "slows target by xx%" mods, and also the decrepify spell availible for necros and on Reapers Toll (unique tresher) as chance to cast... :uhhuh:
Else, you are just right :thumbsup:
 

greatrambino1981

Diabloii.Net Member
Make Insight in the CV if you are ladder. My hammerdin needs that Meditation. Or make Infinity. A very expensive RW but would help a lot with a LF javazon or light sorc.
 

Draco

Diabloii.Net Member
Botd aura's Are the same, and u shoudl better wait for a eth merc weap for doom :D

Grtz, Draco
 

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Draco said:
Botd aura's Are the same, and u shoudl better wait for a eth merc weap for doom :D

Grtz, Draco
Botd aura's? You sure must mean something else, since botd does not come with auras :)
 

SirDooFuss

Diabloii.Net Member
LorveN said:
Botd aura's? You sure must mean something else, since botd does not come with auras :)
I think he meant "both" auras are the same.
Actually, Duriel has the same Holy Freeze aura. That's why we still get blue/slowed even when wearing "cannot be frozen" gear.

Could it be that your old pally had a fairly low level of HF? HF mercs cap out pretty quickly at skill lvl 20.
 

dang79

Diabloii.Net Member
Bert said:
Are you really sure about that?

I'm pretty sure my teslafroster can't freeze cold imunes...

But then again, he is doing mule duty so it's a long time ago i played with him :lol:

Bert
You might want to check that again. I've had no problems with my freezealot.
 

Bert

Diabloii.Net Member
dang79 said:
You might want to check that again. I've had no problems with my freezealot.
Well i checked it, wich was not easy, since my teslafroster-zealot-mule-trade pala wears full sigons (i have to keep it somewhere) so that even hell blood moor is deadly...

But, i was wrong and all other poster were right... the aura freezes cold imunes but doesn't hurt 'em.

Make Insight in the CV if you are ladder. My hammerdin needs that Meditation. Or make Infinity. A very expensive RW but would help a lot with a LF javazon or light sorc.
Is an eth CV with no +ED good enough for Infinity you think?

Or should I trade for a better one?

Bert
 

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Bert said:
Is an eth CV with no +ED good enough for Infinity you think?

Or should I trade for a better one?

Bert
Depends on how rich you are. I would settle with a normal ethereal one without +ed :)
 
Top