Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question Regarding To Cd Key

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by snowy_angelaaa, Feb 8, 2004.

1. snowy_angelaaa

snowy_angelaaa IncGamers Member

Question Regarding To Cd Key

hi there. i installed my d2 on my pc and my removeble harddrive with 2 different cd keys, i have got 2 copies of d2, i just wanna no that if for instance i run d2 from my removeble hard drive. which cd key is gonna be used . thanks

2. snowy_angelaaa

plz reply and comment thanks

3. frozenmagic

frozenmagic IncGamers Member

the cdkey in your removable hd coz das the one your running from

4. snowy_angelaaa

[i heard it allways uses the cd key that the account u r loggiing on is created with.no matter which installation u use to run. but i am not sure. plz comfirm this plz!

5. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

You can always have more than two OS on one HDD (its better that all be NT: 2000 or XP). Just create another partition and install your second OS. When the system starts up the boot manager will ask you: which one do you want to start. You can install one LOD on first OS and the second LOD on another OS. But if you have a need to install 2 LOD’s on the two separate HDD’s that’s up to you. I see your post is not about muling. Right :scratch: ?

You can install only one LOD on one OS. But you can create a host game and then join with another character this hosted game with this LOD running. This is a technique used for muling. You need a special/fixed .dll file for this and your system to be little bit modified.

When it installs LOD creates several registry entries in your system. When you log on B.net it checks the cd-key on your current running OS. One unique cd key can only be logged on B.net at that moment. You can install one LOD (with his own unique cd key) on two or more OS’s, but B.net will accept logging just from one machine. With this cd key logged on B.net you can create more than one account on one or more realms. If you log on with your cd key on B.net and you have my username and password (select realm: Europe) you can easily get yourself some nasty stuff :worship: (though you can’t transfer them to US realms :grrr: ). My friend is playing on US east and I know he’s username and password and I always check/help him with his builds.

There is a problem when you uninstall LOD from OS the cd key will still remain in your system registry, and if after that you install another copy of LOD with different cd key the system will still have the previous cd key. So when you log on B.net, B.net will only “see†the previous cd key. So you have to remove it manually (or do some nice format c: _ which is a stupid thing to do). Manually:

Start/Run type: regedit (Registry editor window will open)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software

Select: Battle.net => right click => delete
    Select: Blizzard Entertainment => right click => delete

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software

Select: Battle.net => right click => delete
    Select: Blizzard Entertainment => right click => delete

I am sorry for any spell mistakes

6. snowy_angelaaa

what is os? thanks

7. snowy_angelaaa

8. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

The CD-Key you are using is always the CD-Key of the copy of diablo you installed first.

9. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

OS means Operating System, like Windows XP, Windows 98 or Windows 2000 for instance.

10. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

It means: If you log on B.net with your unique cd key thats has been installed on your PC and you know my username/password/realm I am playing on, you can become a owner of THE "biggest/largest/greatest/most wanted" collection of LOD's items gathered on B.net :surprise: ==> You will become a very rich man with this Uber_collection (nasty stuff) :winner:

When you log on B.net (when it says: checking this checking that ...), their servers are testing what do you have on your current running OS (your system is sending them some info about your OS). If your OS has one unique cd key LOD that is not currently used on B.net he will accept you. Once you have entered B.net you can create as mush accounts as you wish (on one or more realms). If you know someones username and password you can play with his characters (during that time he can not, that account is used/ocupied ==> only one driver can drive one car :idea: )

If someone is trying to create a account on one realm with a name XYZ and you have alraedy created a account with this same name he will be notified: choose another account name.

To play one account it doesn't mean that the original creator with his cd key can only play it.

11. Jarulf

Jarulf IncGamers Member

Well, the cd-key is NOT stored in the registry. It is stored inside one of the mpq files in your Diablo folder.

12. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Install a fixed/pirate copy on your PC. Then uninstall. Now install original copy. Try to log on B.net.

I am not saying nothing about piracy is a good thing here :rant: .Dont want to be missunderstood from the mods here.

Though one of the mpq files on your install cd might have a cd key generator that lets you to install the game when you type the correct key.

13. snowy_angelaaa

thats really complicated, i dont think it really maters which 1 gonna be used. thanks for ur informations.thanks all

14. Super5

Super5 IncGamers Member

Hey Jarulf,

I was just wondering... do you know exactly where the cd key is stored? I need to find mine back since I want to do an install on another computer, and my CD case has been misplaced. I spent hours looking for it in the registry, even tried tech support (they recommended I pay 10 bucks for a new key - yeah right) with no luck. Please tell me where I can find it and if it's in plain text or I need a hex editor to see it. Thanks a lot!

15. Super5

Super5 IncGamers Member

Jarulf, or anyone, can you answer my question??

16. frozenmagic

frozenmagic IncGamers Member

there is a third party program that can do it..das all i can say

17. Super5

Super5 IncGamers Member

Sigh... why do they have to make it so hard to find?!? I paid for that key after all, I should be able to retrieve it from my computer easily.

18. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy IncGamers Member

Which ever one you run, is that CD-Key.