Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question regarding stat points with a summon necro

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Alientank, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Alientank

Alientank IncGamers Member

Question regarding stat points with a summon necro

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=509

I'm getting back into D2 again after a long rest and currently sit around level 10 on this guide, as it looks like tons of fun!

However I'm confused about stat points, how many should someone have around level 75 or so in which areas? I WILL be trying to get a stormshield as everyone says the 75% chance to block is crucial. Basically I'm trying to make my guy as optimal as I possibly can and not waste any points. If someone can just tell me exactly how many to put where, that would be great :cool:

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Why do you need 75% blocking with a Summoner?

And why do you want a Stormshield instead of Homunculus?

I always go non-blocking with my skelemancer --- strength for gear, no dex, no energy, rest in vitality. Currently trying to make a bonemancer the same way; I'll see how it works out...

3. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

a bonemancer can really benefit from good blocking, as he will DEFINITELY take a few hits, and i personally feel it's better than the small vitality boost you get

4. Alientank

So don't spend points in dex then at all for a summon necro? I'm using that guide and he mentioned using dex, so I'm just trying to clear that up.

5. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Its a matter of preference - block for safety or base dex for more life. Summoners have many minions and resistance + bone armor would suffice for PvM IMO :p Also even for block route i agree with Myrakh-2 : a homunculus is far superior to SS for its resists, skills and low str. Hmm a pure bonemancer doesn't have many/strong minions and some employ walls/prisons for crowd control and block would be a good idea. I myself have a bone/summon and i did 60% block with homunculus mainly because i had never played sorcs so am not good at tele hehe. I think from that guide the author is going for a build catered for hardcore as well but if you go base dex-all vita then a boneflame, darkforce spawn, rares and magical heads are available options as well so its your call. Cheers :D

6. Alientank

I will leave dex alone then and put it all into vitality. I can follow the rest of the build though as far as skill points, according to what he put in though, right?

7. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Yes definitely but have a point into/hotkey Dim Vision for ranged attackers though :D W/o block there must be a way to reduce their chipping away at your life in hell and this curse worked well for me hehe. Most dangerous ranged attackers are Gloams/Black Souls and DV works wonders too :p A high dmg absorb bone armor never hurts either and i always recast it as soon as its not full power :D

8. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

I think its a waste of stat points to use them in dex. Strength and vitality are the only ones you need to worry about.

With a full complement of skellies and mages + revives NO monster will almost never get close to you.

You will rarely get hit and getting a huge amount of life will save you from the few hits you will take.

9. Alientank

I've put hardly anything into str yet, a bunch into vit, and 15 into energy. Would you recommend I stop putting points into energy and focus purely on vit and a bit of str?

10. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Yes. You can count on the natural mana increase of the Necromancer to give you a decent amount of mana at higher levels.

11. Alientank

Thanks. Also, what about str? How much should I have before gear do you think?

12. Remsaa

Remsaa IncGamers Member

I have my base strength at about 85 and get the rest of the strength from items. My total strength right now is exactly 118 which is the requirement for Marrowalks.

13. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

Funny. I've put points to energy so that it is 70 now before any bonuses and still I don't have enough mana to summon all ten revives that I could.

My character is level 57.

Topi

14. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

And how is your mana position after you raised them?

15. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

u should equip shako at lvl 62, that will help quite a lot. maybe some frostburns and siklweaves for more mana as wel

16. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Yes, in their early days my Skelemancers have to drink a lot of the blue liquid as well. But that's no longer an issue... you get some +mana here, some +energy there, some mana regen from god-knows-where and suddenly it's no longer an issue, Revives or not.

I'm even making a bonemancer with base energy now. So far it works out ok --- I can go a long way without chugging a pot, even though my merc still can't give me some Insight into the art of meditation. I'll be getting some mana+ from arachnid once I can wear that (and loose some from the Tal belt, but I hope I'll get back more...), I'll be getting a few more levels (70 now), I don't have any P&B charms, so whatever inventory space I don't need for resists can go to +mana charms (and I'm wearing a ring with +70 mana and some small resists... if I can get by without these resists I could use another ring with around +100...), and with Meditation I hope I'll be able to self-sustain my mana pool. And a bonemancer is definitely more mana intensive...

I know the bonemancer story is off-topic, but the idea is that nowadays it seems possible to make caster-builds that don't invest in energy. And a Skelemancer/Summoner isn't even a caster build in the usual sense, since you are not burning your mana all the time (a caster, in my book, either runs or casts. My Skelemancer often just stands there, and monsters still die...).

17. OblivionLord

OblivionLord IncGamers Member

A high defence is nice in terms of not getting hit while in a melee situation which will happen in Hell. Life potions can only do soo much at so fast of a rate so you'll need to stock up high on the purples. Even at 500 life the Necro's life goes down fast in a melee situation since you will get hit alot very easily cause you have next to no defence if not investing in Dexl. I followed the guide and only stock up high on the Blues since I don't have to worry much about Melee attacks in Hell cause of my high defence. I am also playing untwinked.

On the other hand a high defence does squat against any ranged elemental attack unless we're talkin high % chance to block on a shield to missles. That still doesn't protect you against the lightning ranged attackers or the other elements in the game that you just can't avoid. In cases like this you would rather want more life than defence.

Do not rely on your army to be your only form of protection because in Hell you will get swarmed and overwhelmed from all sides. Your army will be busy so you need to be able to hold your own. Good items help but, lets look at reality for a moment. When playing single player not on Battlenet your only ways to get good items is by Luck or Cheat. I for 1 am not going to sacrifice my high resistance gear for High % chance to get magic items Gear when doing a Baal run in Hell. That's just asking to die. Without the MF gear you will have a low % therefore it will take ALOT of time. I'm not someone who likes to do a thousand MF runs. Talking about godly gear is pointless to me in this case. Somewhat decent gear won't get you but, 1-4 + to skills. That's about as high in the Skills that I look at.

For an untwinked character.. Dim Vision sucks. At 1-5 skills it practicly has no time and doesn't do squat to melee attackers but, mainly ranged. Alot can happen in 5 seconds expecially when you are keeping tabs on your army and everything around you making sure you don't die.

Attract has saved me from ranged attackers more than DV ever could. DV just blinds the packs from your possition whereas Attract forces the enemy to attack the creature you casted the spell on. It's almost a substitute for Revive which is a reason why I haven't spent 1 point in Revive. Attract rarly kills the creature but, it sure keeps them occupied and acts like a tank. It's great on both Melee and Ranged.

18. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

I disagree. My SP HC untwinked skelliemancer is level 57 in start of act 3 NM.

He has a crafted safety amulet with +1 to necro skills, gambled coronet with +2 to summoning skills and a bone wand with +3 to summoning skills, +2 to revive and +1 to summon resits bought from NM Drognan. On switch he has a bone wand with +3 to poison and bone skills to help cast higher level bone armor.

So that's +6 to summoning skills, +4 to poison and bone skills and +1 to curses.

He has the runes for white but no suitable wand. He has stashed all Eld's he has found to be able to cube low level wands (excluding the ones that only could spawn 1 socket) to normal ones hoping to get good mods on the process. Because of that his MF is 0%.

Topi

19. newerest

newerest IncGamers Member

Give your merc an insight if you are having mana problems. It also makes for a pretty decent weapon.

20. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

Sorry dude, Insight is for ladder only. Not for SP HC.

Topi