Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question over gambling in 1.10 for uniques

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by el_jefe_22, Feb 6, 2004.

1. el_jefe_22

el_jefe_22 IncGamers Member

Question over gambling in 1.10 for uniques

Is there a minimum character level required to get a unique/set item in 1.10?

Specifically, I am looking to gamble for a gull dagger. It is clvl 4. I know that with gambling, there is the -5/+4 variation for affix level, does this apply to uniques? The TC of a dagger is Weapon class 3 and according to D2net, the Qlvl required for a monster to drop it is 6.

So, my question is, what is the minimum level a character has to be in order to gamble and get a gull? Is it 4, since that is the Clvl required? 6, since that is the monster level required to drop it? Could it be lvl 1, since the +4 variation on affixes? Or, is there an absolute minimum character level required to get a unique/set item when gambling.

Also, I know that the chance is extremly low of gambling a unique in 1.10, what is the exact chance? 1 in 200? 1 in 500? etc. So far I have only gambled one unique in the new patch, and no sets.

jefe

2. KSechrist

KSechrist IncGamers Member

I can't answer your questions, but can say I've gambled over 100 amulets so far and not a single unique. Also 20-30 light belts hoping for sharkskin. 0/30 there.

3. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

The required level of an item is never a factor in whether it can be generated. That is really no different than a mod, it is just something "on the item".

What is important here is the quality level of the unique. For the Gull dagger, that is 6. You can see these values listed at, for example, www.d2data.net, alongside the unique (or set) item in question (they call it qlvl there).

What that 6 means is that the item level of the item you gamble needs to be at least 6. If it is not, you won't get a Gull, even if you make a successful unique roll - you will get a rare dagger with triple durability.

The -5/+4 variation you mention is on item level. If you gamble at character level 20, the item level will be between 15 and 24 inclusive. It is actually capped below at 5, so if you are level 6, you will get between 5 and 10 inclusive (but 1/2 the time it will be 5). This means you need to be level 11 to be sure a Gull is possible, although you could be lucky and get one even at level 2 (if you got a lucky roll the item level could still be 6).

Now, if you want to be really clever about it, you can do a bit better than that, although this is hard to explain precisely. The roll for item level has to be decided before the NPC fills his shop. This is because if you are getting only a level 5 item, you will not be allowed to gamble some of the higher item types. So if you only see eg a Sash and a Buckler and a Dagger on offer, most likely the item level is low and that Dagger won't be able to be a Gull. If you see something a bit higher like an Axe or Heavy Gloves, then you can be sure the item level is high enough for that, so could be high enough for Gull too. Make sense?

The list of item levels for item types to appear in the gambling screen can be found here, down the bottom of the page.

That said, the chance of gambling a unique is still only 1/5000 as far as I know.
    So don't expect one all that soon.

4. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Gull daggers are hard to get hold of and I'd love one for my Poison Dagger necro who I use to mf, but so far no luck. I think that you could probably gamble for one but I have never considerred giving money to a low level all mine goes upwards to high levels to gamble for +2 rare amulets or gloves ...

I have gambled both set and unique items (Frostburns and last Night Cleglaws) with high level characters. Arreats summit says it should have a 1 in 5000 chance for the unique... so it is a long shot. But if you have plenty of money and nothing better to spend it on go for it.

Working out the best level character is quite tough, you need to be high enough to get the dagger and low enough to avoid the poinard. But since the chances of getting an exceptional or elite is quite low you can probably ignore that and use any character over say level 10.

This is what Arreats Summit says about gambling.

"The chance for Uniques is 1 in 5,000 and 1 in 2,000 for Sets. The chance for Rares is 1 in 10. The level of quality of the items will be from most common to, most rare: Normal, Exceptional, Elite. The chance for Exceptional items is 1 in 11 (or 9 in 100) and the chance for Elite items is 1 in 30"

Good Luck

5. Ruvanal

Ruvanal IncGamers Member

It does not work that way. Unlike the vendor sale items that are all set to single ilvl, for the gambling screen each of the items has its ilvl set seperately. So if you only saw "a Sash and a Buckler and a Dagger on offer" that would only mean that maybe the ilvl for those items was low or that maybe a low quality item was picked off of a higher spawning ilvl. The only thing that seeing those three items would be telling you is that minimum ilvl that you are looking at for each item would have to be 3, 1 and 3 respectively and since the minimum ilvl on gambling is 5, that should already be known. You could also see those items if the ilvls were 95, 99, 97 repectively.

Even if you saw an axe on the screen with a dagger, the axe may have an ilvl=7 while the dagger could be at ilvl=5 (too low for spawning a Gull). Hardly a way of being sure to have a chance getting a Gull from the gamble.

Also as noted the chance that you will get a unique from gambling is 1/5000, bu the chance of getting a unique dagger form a monster that is mlvl 6+ is greater than 1/400 even for a normal monster. Put some magic find on and the chances will get even better. Try hitting some of the random bosses and champions around act 1 normal (typically Stony field and on) and you will have both a good chance of seeing daggers drop (limited lists of items still at this point) and that you find a unique one when it does.

6. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Hmm, this is surprising. I have heard what I suggested claimed in several places, and I guess it seemed consistent enough that I believed it. My apologies.

The problem with killing monsters for a Gull is that there is only a narrow window of monsters with mlvl at least 6 but still able to drop TC3 with a reasonable probability. And then they have to drop a Dagger, before the 1/400 chance you're talking about. Even Act 1 Equip C already has a pretty poor chance of TC3. However, if you want to go that way, I recommend Coldcrow (mlvl 7 and drops only TC3) or Blood Raven (mlvl 10 and drops TC3 30% of the time), both of whom have good quality bonuses, and aren't too hard to locate.

7. el_jefe_22

el_jefe_22 IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info. The reason I was asking was because I had pounds of money left over from my MF sorc (Ali Baba, chance guards and goldwrap give close to 500% more gold), and I figured that with a low enough character (Prices lower at lower levels) I could afford to gamble a few hundred (thousand) times.

From what you are saying, it is better to just pile on the MF and run around the first two areas of act 1. It will be boring, but no more boring than staring at a gamble screen for an hour.