Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question on using Frenzy

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Tallera257, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Tallera257

Tallera257 IncGamers Member

Question on using Frenzy

Hi,
    I apologize in advance, because I think this is probably a dumb question.....but I don't usually play Barbs, and I couldn't find an answer when I searched this forum. :)

I'm trying to make a dual-sword-weilding Frenzy Barb for MFing, but I don't think I'm using Frenzy correctly (or else it doesn't work the way I thought it did). This character is Single Player, btw.....my crappy slow computer and crappy slow modem make bnet play almost too frustrating for words. :p

If I select Frenzy as my attack skill and target a monster, my Barb swings his two swords somewhat slowly, hits the target, and the swirly Frenzy animation starts up around him. But if I keep holding down the left mouse button to continue the attack, he doesn't seem to speed up at all! Based on my limited "experimenting" with Frenzy, there are only two things which seem to make the skill "work":

1) Once the Frenzy animation starts, I can switch to another skill (such as Double Swing), and I immediately notice an increase over my usual DS swing speed. If I walk around after killing the monster, it's obvious that my R/W speed has also been boosted. So switching to another attack skill seems to make Frenzy "work."

2) Once the Frenzy animation starts, if I release the left mouse button and attack the same monster again, I seem to get a slight benefit from Frenzy (my R/W speed gets noticeably higher, my swing speed not so much). But in order to make this method work, I have to pretty much hammer my left mouse button on every monster, which is hard on both the mouse and my finger. :p

So.....I'm guessing that there's something about the way Frenzy is supposed to be used that I'm just NOT getting. I'm sorry for the total noob question, but I'm REALLY frustrated, and just want to figure this out. I'm almost ready to give up on this char completely and go make a less frustrating dual-sword DS/singer Barb for MFing. Please help! :(

Cheers,
    Tallera

2. Tallera257

*bump* :p

Can anybody help me with this? Any insight would be very much appreciated!!! :D

Cheers,
    Tallera

3. Dix

Dix IncGamers Member

this works for me...
    put frenzy on the right mouse button, hold it down off a monster, then move the curser (keeping the rmb down) and the barb will run and frenzy at the creatures he gets close too, as he hits, he will speed up.
    hope that helps

4. contagion

contagion IncGamers Member

okay i had this problem too when i first got frenzy. i didnt notice my attack speed increase either and i thought it was broken as well.

however, the problem most likely is you only 1 or 2 points in frenzy. at those low lvls the attack speed increase is very small(like only 7% or something)

just gain some more lvls and raise your frenzy skill and you should notice a dramatic improvement.

5. Tallera257

Okay, I'll try leveling him up a bit more and pumping more points into Frenzy before I throw in the towel. ;)

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
    Tallera

6. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

I had the same question a few days ago

A few days ago I was a lower level MF Frenzy Sword Barb also. I thought the same thing too. What was said before is true. At low skill levels, Frenzy sucks. Yes, it makes you run a bit faster, and you do a bit more damage than normal, but early on, Double Swing rules. Leveling up, I had 9 points in DS, and 1 in Frenzy. At this rate, I was using DS (at the cost of no mana at slvl 9), and occasionally used Frenzy to run faster. However, now, at level 40+, I have Frenzy at slvl 19 and I find myself only using DS if I meet a Mana Burn monster. Trust me, a slvl 20 w/ +skill Frenzy will always be better than DS since you will do way more than double the damage at a slightly slower rate. Yes, you may see that using Frenzy to speed up and then DSing everything is fast, but the damage is so small in comparison.

A slvl Frenzy w/ 10 points in both DS and Taunt will let you have more than quadruple damage at a very very slightly slower rate than DS.

My advice is to keep using DS until you get at least 5 points into Frenzy and have decent mana leech. After slvl 5, the +speed increase is only 2 and only up to slvl 9, where after that its 1, and thats only up to 16, where after that its less than 1. However, after slvl 9, Frenzy's main purpose is damage, where as before, its speed.

7. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

How does the Frenzy work?
    It works this way:
    1) Frenzy is a double attack itself, just as Double swing, but much slower. Which means, when you attack with Frenzy, it gives to your current hit the listed ED and AR bonus (185% and 233% respectively for slvl 20) the same way, that any other melee attack does.
    2) In addition to ED and AR, Frenzy "turns on" increased attack and run/walk speed, like a spell, that lasts for 6 seconds.
    3) Hitting with Frenzy doesn't give you immediately the full IAS/FRW bonus, but increases the bonus until the limit, set by level. First hit gives you only 7% IAS/47% FRW, then more with each hit until the limit (42%/177% for slvl 20).
    4) Frenzy IAS bonus works for any attack, and lasts for 6 seconds from last successful Frenzy hit. While Frenzy state is in progress, switch to Concentration, Berserk, Double throw, Double Swing, (the last 2 will give you absolutely insane speed) or whatever you want, but switch back to Frenzy to refresh the 6-second timer.

8. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

If you're already at 6 of 5 fpa frenzy , switching back to double swing won't do you much good. Since DS and frenzy are both capped @ 5 fpa.

9. Hateslayer

Hateslayer IncGamers Member

which one is better frenzy or whirlwind?

10. zeskelnec

zeskelnec IncGamers Member

11. MonsterSlayer

MonsterSlayer Guest

ww for pvp, for pvm it's a matter of what you like I guess (both can be very good)