Question on Tesladin weapon

loyalpeon

Diabloii.Net Member
Question on Tesladin weapon

Right, so as my brand new Tesladin (planned: 20 holy shock, res lightning, holy shield, zeal) was gaining a few levels before braving nightmare, the following little number dropped for me: 3soc, +3holy shock grand scepter. Which got me thinking about his weapons.

Currently he's using a 'Holy Thunder' divine scepter, which is serving him quite well for the moment, and will probably last him well into nightmare, but it's not really end game material (perhaps had the staff mods been better than +to vigor, conversion and salvation...).

Now, for end game gear i was thinking that there are a few top and affordable options: heavens light (CB), Crescent moon (-l.res) and Lawbringer (decrep, sanctuary + some [non-light] ele damage). As you can tell, I'm leaning towards the latter as the weapon of choice and am intrigued by the grand scepter. So, questions:

1. If I go lawbringer, will the loss of life leach be made up by the juicy goodies that it provides (including quassy IM immunity)?

2 Assuming I go pure Tesladin as indicated above and with the low physical damage lawbring brings to the table, will i need more gear (treachery/lavagout perhaps) elemental damage to have any effect against light immunes?

3. Will the lost speed (40 between phase and g.scepter) hurt me a lot more than the +3 h.shock will help me? Checking a speed calculator I'd need ~90 ias to hit 5frame zeal with the g.scepter (doable with, say, treachery/gout/IAS helm/nosferatu), and ~75 to hit 4frame with the phase. Is that 1frame worth the loss in skills, basically?

Cheers!
*Phsyko_OWB

MrBill

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Question on Tesladin weapon

Right now my own Hardcore Tesladin, "Don_Keys" (he was originally a mule... get it? "Donkeys"? God am I clever :grin:) is Level 58 in Nightmare Act V and going strong.

I have played this type of character many times in the past and can offer the following advice:

(1.) Your biggest problem by far will be poor AR, especially when you get to Hell... going into Hell with less than about 5K Attack Rating means you are going to have serious problems in hitting, in the absence of some other kind of thing like Eth runes or "hit reduces enemy DR by {whatever}" gear.

Solving the AR issue is critically important to making a Tesladin work, because unlike a conventional Zealot you don't get an AR boost (only a damage boost, admittedly an enormous one) from your aura.

I therefore suggest you max Zeal as you max out Holy Shock (e.g. each point you put into HS, next level alternate with Zeal and put a point into that).

(2.) For weapon choices, assuming that you have a friendly elder character who can get one from Hell, I am very fond of the Honor Runeword (Amn-El-Ith-Tir-Sol) in a 5 socket Knout or Scourge (old school but still highly effective, you get a good AR boost plus Deadly Strike, leech and a bunch of other things, as well as decent physical damage). Another really nice one, which usually isn't too expensive, is The Razor's Edge unique Tomahawk, because of its huge penalty to enemy DR and its big time Open Wounds. The disadvantage here is that you have to be in your high 60s to use it.

If you are poor what I usually do is find the best Fools' mod (+ AR / Damage per level) rare I can and then go with that... the AR boost can see you all the way through Hell, in fact. The best Fools' mod rares are obviously the ones with high built-in IAS, e.g. Knouts / Scourges / Crowbills / War Spikes / Divine Scepters / Cadeceus etc.

(3.) At all costs get "Cannot Be Frozen". Being frozen or chilled in Hell, especially if you are a Paladin going solo, is a recipe for disaster. I usually do this via the Rhyme Runeword in a 2 socket Paladin shield with good built-in resists (since Rhyme only gets you +25 resist all). If you have something nice that can substitute for this (e.g. Raven Frost, Duriels Shell, etc.) then you can make a Spirit Runeword in your 4 socket Paladin shield, there's nothing not to like there, +2 skills, vitality, mana... it's all good.

(4.) For gloves and belt I usually go for crafted Blood items (trying to get as close as I can to 10% Crushing Blow on the gloves and to 10% Open Wounds on the belt, it's also nice if you can craft some gloves with a little IAS). For boots I like upgraded Goblin Toe (for the CB) or Tearhaunch (for the resists, etc.) or really anything that gets you resists and some FRW. For a hat, I like a rare Paladin circlet with skills, resists and (ideally) FHR. For an amulet, a yellow Paladin ammy with skills, resists and whatever else. Rings should have leech and resists.

(5.) I really like the Lionheart Runeword (Hel-Lum-Fal) for body armor; resists, weapon damage, strength, vitality... great stuff here. If you can't find the Fal rune, which can be difficult if it's your first Hardcore character, I usually go for Smoke (Nef-Lum), if so don't forget to hotkey the Weaken curse charges, they can be very useful in Hell against high physical damage enemies.

(6.) I like an Act 1 Cold Arrow merc for this type of character. Give her something like a Riphook unique Razor Bow and (this is what Don_Keys' merc uses) Treachery (Shael-Thul-Lem) for CTC Venom, or, failing that, anything with some CB and / or OW, for example Rattlecage, Boneflesh, etc.. Riphook with a Cold Arrow merc works extremely well, one or two hits can cripple even the most powerful monsters, leaving them almost helpless against your subsequent barrage of Zeal / Holy Shock attacks. (Of course, if they manage to get on top of your poor merc and beat the you know what out of her before she can get an arrow off... oh well, nothing's 100 per cent fool proof, is it. :rolleyes:)

All of this has worked very well for me, when I was starting out Hardcore Tesladins on a tight budget. I hope it works well for you, too... YMMV.

Cheers

Mr_Bill

Tai.

Diabloii.Net Member

(2.) For weapon choices, assuming that you have a friendly elder character who can get one from Hell, I am very fond of the Honor Runeword (Amn-El-Ith-Tir-Sol) in a 5 socket Knout or Scourge (old school but still highly effective, you get a good AR boost plus Deadly Strike, leech and a bunch of other things, as well as decent physical damage). Another really nice one, which usually isn't too expensive, is The Razor's Edge unique Tomahawk, because of its huge penalty to enemy DR and its big time Open Wounds. The disadvantage here is that you have to be in your high 60s to use it.
Any specific reasoning behind the Knout or Scourge?

Just wondering, as if you're willing to go with range 2 instead of 3, you can use Holy Scepter/Divine Scepter/Caduceus and automatically get 5 sockets, the same base weapon speed and inherent skill bonuses.

Ideal would be a +3 Holy Shock +3 Holy Shield +3 Zeal Caduceus. Toss Honor in that bad boy and you're good to go. You lose 1 range and 1.5 average base damage with a Caduceus instead of a Scourge but save 28 points in strength and 7 in dex, though the dex should be moot anyway, and get inherent staff mods.

From what OP stated, I'd say to try out the Lawbringer. Can hit 90 easily enough with Treach (45) Andy's w/ IAS (35) and then LoH, Lavas, Highlord's whatever. Until you cap out for Andy's Treach/Highlord's/Lavas or LoH and a random IAS jewel will cover you just fine.

Personally though, I'd look into Scepters for Honor as the cheap but effective way to go. Run cows for an hour or so and you should find something viable, and more than likely the necessary runes to make Honor.

loyalpeon

Diabloii.Net Member

Thought I'd update this very briefly before letting it drop into oblivion.

Firstly, I never thanked either of you properly - much appreciated!

In the end I went with a classic phase lawbringer - combined with venom from treachery, fire damage and enchant from lavagout this guys was breezing throught the game - immunes were no trouble at all.

On defence, more or less constant decrep + defiance merc + max res + max block meant I was pretty safe in spite of the pally's horribly low life.

All in all I breezed through nm and Act 1 hell.

Then I went down to kill Rad, cleared the path to him, didn't notice a bossback somewhere behind him in the shadow - long story short, pulses activated something nasty, before I had the chance to blink - deeds.

Och well. It was looking like such a fun char too.

Anyhoo...
.me.

oya

Diabloii.Net Member

RIP mate

But to provide additional answers for your next tesladin (and you will make one, oh yes!)...

I have made several tesladins, on both SC and HC and this is what i found:

Cresent moon PB is imo the best weapon due to its speed. 4FPA zeal is win. Cresent moon has a chance to proc a nice AOE static field and chain lightning. It has ITD and reduces your enemies resistances. And it gives magic absorb...

What i used to do, is stack a bit on CB & DS, making lightning immunes (normal monsters) a pushover, + the merc helped in killing.

Other thing i did was put a point in fana aura and have a smite combo on switch with alot of CB. The thing is you need a few charms to get your resistances up.

Due to cresent moon ITD, no attack rating was needed. For unique monsters and bosses i'd switch to smiting combo to finish them.

Hope this helped

Ernie

Diabloii.Net Member

RIP mate

Cresent moon PB is imo the best weapon due to its speed. 4FPA zeal is win.

What i used to do, is stack a bit on CB & DS, making lightning immunes (normal monsters) a pushover, + the merc helped in killing.

Hope this helped
sorry what is PB (Plague bearer?) ?

found it phase blade ^_^

Last edited: