Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question on Smite

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zhao_Yue, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue IncGamers Member

Question on Smite

I'm designing a PvP build on paper but one nagging problem is weapon range. My perferred choice for a weapon has a range of 1, but my secondary choice has a range of 3. When comparing the two choices, would the range difference hamper the effectiveness of smiting to a large degree in PvP?

2. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

I n d e e d .

3. Sleepless

Sleepless IncGamers Member

Not really. The range 3 weapon will be lend more hit on a WW barb than range 1 but if you're planning of using the range 1 unique scepter (i.e redeemer), it's worth the range sacrifice IMO.

PS: I have 2 PvP smiters and they are doing well right now with range 1. Even vs fury druid with a range 5 weapon.

4. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

The only time smite range really comes into play is vs. a ww barb, and in those cases you'll probably lose at least 80% of the time regardless of what you use (unless it's a Grief PB). I can see only two cases where'd you want something other than redeemer:

-Stacking resists. You'll probably want a Silence phase blade for this.
    -Stacking open wounds. Best option is a Malice phase blade/cryptic sword.

5. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Little hijack, when people talk about stacking resist, why can't you keep the weapon but use a high resist zak shield with 4 sockets of appropriate gems?

6. Sleepless

The +skills from HoZ are realy important to a smiter. +4 = ~400 smite dmg. Oh, and for my own smiter, I use silence PB because i can swap my highlord for mara and still get a 6pfa smite.

7. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

IIRC a Grief PB along with a high level fanaticism will hit 6 frame smite with no additional IAS. The IAS can be made up for elsewhere, but that limits other socket/runeword options, and the difference between range 2 and 3 isn't that big.

For a ww barb, however, a Grief zerker is the best option (war axe has lower requirements, but the barb will probably be using a Beast zerker anyways). Unfortunately if the Grief spawns with lower than 35 IAS it's utterly useless to a whirler.

8. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Did I die, comback and miss a patch in the interim? Grief is bnet runeword requiring a Lo.

Or is this one of those ask the SP'ers cause we're thought to know more?

9. Sleepless

Grief is stil not enable. If you read the whole thread you will see that kabal told that you couldn't beat a whirler except with a Grief PB then it degenerated in what would be the best weapon for grief if it would be enable discussion.

10. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Excuse my ignorance. So it was the SP is perceived as knowledgable type of thing.

As obscenely rich as some SP PvP'ers are I doubt anyone could really put together a set up to compete with bnet equip (in rune wealth terms).

With that said, can an SP'er generally compete with a bnetter in PvP or is equipment more important than skill? (i.e. you could give me the same equip as Tiger Woods but I don't think I'd win the Masters and time soon).

11. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Between loaning items from other people and using my own resources, I could probably match a bnet pvp whirler in terms of equipment (eBotD + Beast is a start, I still need the Enigma :p) but I can't even begin to get the charms that they have on b.net. Generally speaking, the rich pvp barbs on b.net have 39 fine SC's of vita (3/20/20's) and a perfect stats annihilus, all of which which are unobtainable in SP. The annihilus can't even drop in unmodded SP, and I doubt that there are even 39 legit 3/20/20's out there in SP. Even strijdje, who was/is far richer than anyone else in SP, has to use 3/1x/1x charms because he doesn't have that many 3/20/20's.

Unfortunately, the quality of equipment plays a large part in how successful someone can be in pvp. This tends to be especially true for melee builds, but even the most budget-friendly caster characters like sorcs have uber-rare high end gear (skillers w/ 40+ life). Skill and character planning are still the biggest parts of dueling, but I wouldn't expect to win much if my ww barb were using anything short of 2x Death Cleavers.