Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question on Skeletons

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Darker Realm, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Darker Realm

Darker Realm IncGamers Member

Question on Skeletons

1) How do skeletons spawn with bigger and bigger shields and better weapons? Does it purely depend on Slvl of RS and SM, or does it also depend on chance (as the Arreat Summit says, 5% chance to spawn with shield)?

2) I have 1 base point on RS and 20 on SM, and my skeletons usually spawn with large shields but they sometimes spawn with monarchs/tower shields. How do I get my skeletons to spawn tower shields as often as possible? I noticed that a skeleton with a tower shield and a skeleton with a small shield or without a shield at all (same Slvl) has a huge difference in survivability.

3) Do mages always have a 25% chance to spawn a different element, even when all of your mages are a certain element?

Need professional summoner advice, thanks.

2. Fists of War

Fists of War IncGamers Member

Tough Questions...maybe raise your skellies from different monsters...maybe experiment with raising skellies from different types and record if you get a shield one or not, then figure out what monsters make shield skellies...
    but then again that might not work...and i'm not a pro summoner either :)

3. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I know this might sound pointless and a bit OT, but 20 RS 1 SM skeles survives a lot better than 1 RS 20 SM ones. (and you get more)

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

1) I don't think the type of shield on Skeletons matters, IIRC skeletons have a 3% chance to block if they spawn with a shield. All skeletons will have the same defense with or without a shield, as per the value on the Raise Skeleton skill.

2) see 1)

3) I believe it's completely random, equal chance of each element. Use Unsummon to kill off any unwanted elements then raise some more until you've got desired elements. I'm not particularly fussed at what elements spawn, except poison. I don't like having more than 1 poison mage around, because of the way their damage works. 300 damage over 500 seconds (or something like that), it slows down killing speed, and those mage spots are better reserved for fire/cold/lightning.

5. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

Having one posion mage is like PMH on a wepaon which is great for ubers if you need to get more Urdars revived.

IMO cold mages are the best as my infinty merc breaks most CI's so slows them down for my mighty skellies to knock the *&^& out....

6. Darker Realm

Shields don't matter? Maybe this is is an Slvl coincidence, because it seems that the higher I pump my RS and SM, I get an increased chance of spawning nice tower shields, but perhaps this is from the higher level of skills in RS and SM. I need to look further into it because the ones without shields feel more fragile even at the same Slvl (tower shield vs. no shield at all).

I am aware that 20 on Raise Skeleton would give you of course, better skeletons but I chose 20 on Skeleton Mastery so that I could get better quality skeletons, mages, and revives for my specific build. 20 RM, 1 RS, 1 RM, 1 Revive.

I also dislike the sight of the green mages so I unsummon them as soon as I see them. For bosses however, I keep at least 1 Poison.

7. bogie

bogie IncGamers Member

Yeah, the higher the lvl of skeles and mast, your skeletons will change appearance, my constantly have monarchs/kite shields and scimatars. I havnt noticed any difference in preformance though. And for some reason it seems that my skeles block alot more than 3%, even though that is the given value.

8. AresXVII

AresXVII IncGamers Member

i didnt realize the shields mattered, or the different weapons in their hand, i just figured blizzard changed it every so lvl so we could see the differnce in them, but if the shield matters, maybe i should watch my minions more

9. Darker Realm

Maybe RTB has the exact stats including block rate for skeletons?

It takes quite some time to run around in the Cold Plains and summoning skeletons from corpses till they spawn with kite shields/monarchs.

But for one, I like the appearance of a full army of skeletons wielding angular yet sophisticated metal shields rather than the rickety round wooden ones (skeletons of barbarians :smiley:?); it keeps the summoner happy.

I usually have no more than four to six skeletons out, and four to six mages, so I'm able to keep an eye on them and micro-manage them.

10. maxusmag

maxusmag IncGamers Member

Ok according to battle.net which i figure is the official word skeletons have a 5% chance to get a shield and only a 3% chance to block.

i do not think that the shield matters. at level 20 they have a defense of 305. SM does not add anything into this

11. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

I get a random shield type each game, and all the skeletons get the same shield and they all get shields. I currently have 48 RS and 50 SM.

For elements, its random. Since they have a habit of dying in melee range (even at 47/50 level) and also dying occasionally from lagging to far behind (skeletons WILL die like revives do if they are fighting something and you leave them behind).

because of this I like to have an even mix. without LR or conviction 10 mages = 1 skeleton with amp, so the damage output isnt that big of an issue. Stacked cold mages and poison mages vs bosses are great, I normally keep 4-5 cold/poison ones since bosses will kill them fast if they get focused.

12. Darker Realm

I noticed that if you immediately summon a skeleton with a shield that has died, it will respawn with a shield. Can someone confirm this?

I still wish if RTB can give the % stats for Skeletons as he has done for Golems.

13. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The 5% chance to spawn with shield can still be found in skills.txt as parameter, but I'm not so sure it's used. If they spawn with a shield the chance of blocking is 3%. But I also remember a comment from Ruvanal mentioning only the kite shield look will actually give them a chance to block, which is the one with the arrows sticking out.