Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question on rust storm

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by zooply, May 13, 2008.

1. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

Question on rust storm

Just what exactly happens with a rust storm? I know duped/hacked items are deleted, but my question is about sockets. For runewords, lets say a grief (in a legit pb), would the Lo poof, would all the runes in it poof, or would the whole item poof? My main question though is with uniques rares etc. Say you socket a legit eth stormlash with a zod. Would it just unsocket, or would you lose the thing entirely?

2. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Re: Question on rust storm

The whole item will poof. If you socket a duped 5/5 light in a legit jmod with 3 legit 5/5's the entire item will dissappear.

3. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Not quite. The duped items will poof in the ruststorm itselft. In the case of jewels, the item should remain intact. In the case of runewords, the poofing rune will create an "ith" item, which will then be deleted the first time that character leaves a game. At least, that's what happened at the 1.10 patch.

4. Dorfoumous

Dorfoumous IncGamers Member

I know one of the rust-storms probably one of the "first" ones...was bugged and deleted Legit things..

It was a big problem, from what I remember....at least the people on bnet were going beserk.

I think, even blizzard said they deleted some legit items, and sorry for the inconvience...

On topic: I do believe the entire item goes poof. If one thing is duped.

then again, I could be lieing about everything, and not know what I'm talking about.

*eats some nubcakes*

5. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

*is pulled in two directions* I guess I'll to try to employ google again later. =P

6. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Well zoop Blizz can do whatever they want. So the next ruststorm doesn't need to be the same as previous one ^^

7. thegiantturtle

I wouldn't take advice on ruststorm from someone who thinks multiple ruststorms have run.

8. Snarg

Snarg Banned

"Rust Storm" is just a general name for a Warden pack. Multiple versions have been run but nothing like the transfer from .09 to .10 where thousands of bugged/legit/whatever were deleted.

Currently there is a passive module running which flags all "duped" runes and thats why at times they just vanish.

There, mis-infomation ended as the rays of light have shown you all the way.

So recap:
    There is no single program called "rust storm".
    What is currently called "rust storm" is actually Warden packs which flag and delete suspect items.
    Multiple versions of "rust storm" have been active and are still currently passive (flagging down runes and the like).

9. thegiantturtle

Whoever thought it was a good idea to appropriate the name "rust storm" for warden modules is an idiot. Whoever follows them is even dumber.

EDIT:
    Since it appears that "snarg" is the former "MrOzio," lets pretend I didn't dignify his delusions about the term "ruststorm" with a response.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  10. Dorfoumous

Actually he is right.

Rust Storms have been going on for ages.

Google it.. you'll other boards talking about the emit rust storms.

Just because I've been here since Jan of 07 does not mean I'm a noob to the game.

I've been playing since the game was released, thank you very much.

11. thegiantturtle

And I still say that it was ridiculous and stupid to change the meaning of ruststorm from a full search of all characters for any hacked or paired items to a check of a character at load time for a list of duped ids.

Because of this, I will continue to use ruststorm to apply to the actual ruststorm. Anything else would engender unnecessary confusion.

We have only had 1 true ruststorm. The other dupe deletion methods have been completely different and should be referenced with different names.

As an aside:
    My apologies for the direct attack on you, but I think my point is valid. If someone doesn't understand the differences in the dupe detection methods, then their information about the dupe detection methods is probably not very good.

12. Dorfoumous

:shocked:

Just repsonding to this remark.

Also, yes there has been more than one "Rust Storm"... Playing before Version 1.10, .09 tells you this.

There was a "big one" that you are referring too, and everyone talked about it.

but there was more before that. Back when Blizzard actually cared for the game. Back when people were duping Sojs, and P-Skulls were the ecomony..and when IK set was the most expensive item in the game.

Google it.

You won't find much here, since we aren't a hacker community, and thus don't really care about Rust Storms, and a lot of "Legit" players don't really care about either or pay no attention to it because it doesn't affect them...but check out some "hacking communites" for threads on this.

13. thegiantturtle

This isn't coherent.

I remember being around in 1.09.
    I remember keeping tabs on the hacking communities.
    I don't remember any reference to ruststorm before announcements of patch 1.10.

I remember a few times the realms were taken down for maintenance in 1.09, but I don't recall any of those leading to outbursts from players whose hacked items were deleted.

Maybe it's completely selective memory, but I'm pretty sure "Ruststorm" was one of the new features of patch 1.10.

My google-fu shows me that Ruststorm deleted hacked and duped items from 1.09, but I see no 1.09 era references to ruststorm.

14. Dorfoumous

Massive Forum Problems...

15. Dorfoumous

Sorry, I didn't know this was english class.

<speak coherent>

After running around, and jogging my memory, on Google.

I'm a little wrong.

As turtle as pointed out.

1.10 was the "rust storm" patch. In .09 a duping was really out of control during this time, SoJ's were very plentiful and was the ecomony. This is also when they decided to the Diablo Clone to "solve" the Soj duping... I remember a lot stuff happening from it but its a bit blurry.

However, Pre 1.10, "rust storm" was the name tacked on to the fact of the "Realm Matinence" that would happen every so often.

In other words after the "rust storm" name came out, the Realm Matinence pre. .09 were just called "rust storms" ...

However, now, its kinda the same thing with the "deletion" thing that is delets the duped items now, and the beloved "rust storm" name is tacked on...

</speak coherent>

This doesn't answer the Op's question.

I'm under the impression that the system that deleting duped items, deletes the whole item.

Last edited: May 14, 2008